Asking about molting and premolt for my grammostola pulchripes

JackV

Arachnopeon
I’ve never had my grammostola pulchripes molt, and I have a feeling it is going into premolt, it has stopped eating and has starting dwelling in its hide more. I am wondering what to do when it molts, should it be dark in the enclosure, and what temperature?

Attachments

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
use the search function to read and learn about pre molt/ molting etc. you will have the time while waiting for it to actually molt

goofyGoober99

Arachnosquire
Tom Moran's video "Tarantula Molting Guide - Signs of Premolt" is a good overview of what you can expect and what you should and, most importantly, shouldn't do. Good luck with your G pulchripes and post pics once they've molted!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Here’s a guide

cold blood

Staff member
First off, you need to add A LOT more sub to that enclosure, its a huge fall risk atm....especially with a t in pre-molt.

Secondly, there is nothing you need to do with a molting t...just be patient.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve never had my grammostola pulchripes molt, and I have a feeling it is going into premolt, it has stopped eating and has starting dwelling in its hide more. I am wondering what to do when it molts, should it be dark in the enclosure, and what temperature?
Your setup needs some changing, Seems like there's not nearly enough substrate to prevent a fall. Don't want your Ts new name to be Splat do you? ;)

After molting- do nothing, make sure it has water in a dish to drink - IF it uses the dish at all. Mine does, but yours IDK.

Same temps, absolutely NO CHANGES.

Feed only when fangs are black!! Takes a while for larger Ts to develop an appetite after molting, Could take weeks.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah this is exactly correct
Secondly, there is nothing you need to do with a molting t...just be patient.
but I suggest you fix the substrate issues ASAP before It does molt. Tarantulas are more venerable after a molt and if it were to climb andfall that could potentially be bad. So if fix it now!