At what point do I give up on a water dish?

TheraMygalo

Arachnopeon
Sometimes, a water bowl is in the direct path of where the tarantula is moving substrate. It has to go somewhere if they are burrowing deep. Perhaps your tarantula does not have enough depth for its needs and the water bowl is just in the way. Others have mentionned getting a bigger enclosure and I agree that more depth will most likely bring out the best of your tarantula.

My Brachypelma emilia AF kept filling her water bowl with substrate. However, she was really digging deep and at some point, the susbstrate had to go somewhere. In my case, I just changed the position of the bowl. So far, no substrate in the bowl.

I have some acrylic enclosures… I detest them :(. I love the visibility… but for air circulation and durability, it does not pass the test for me. Lids were warped after less then 30 days, even in low humidity. Scratched… for the cost, sheesh. I hope yours and the ones others get have a better turn out then mine.

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Sub stays damp by me, I just worry about her making it soggy or moldy. I’ll see what happens if I let her have it and add a second, or third..
Soggy I agree, but mold can only occur with a combination of wet conditions and lack of ventilation, no?

It's for sure frustrating, my A. chalcodes does this as well. Keep replacing it!

That plastic box being used as a cage is too small for the tarantula. From the picture it is obvious to me that it is trying to dig in the corner where the water cup is and the tarantula is trying its best to remove or relocate it. Rehouse the tarantula in something bigger with damp soil, start a burrow in a corner so it digs along the side and you can see it, then put in a water cup if the tarantula doesn't start digging within a week. If it starts digging immediately, just wait until it is done to put in the water cup.
Agreed, she will appreciate that new enclosure greatly!

radiomace

Arachnopeon
New enclosure on the way, new water dish added in yet another corner (I let her keep the old one where she buried it). Here she is dumping it 10 minutes after I put it in. I’ll see where she puts this one tonight and decide if I let her keep it where she puts it and just add another one.
IMG_8482.jpeg
Edit: Update 5 minutes after I posted this:
IMG_8483.jpeg
So I go back to my original question. Until my new enclosure arrives, how on earth do I give this spider water 🤦 She doesn’t even dig wherever it is, it almost seems like she puts it *where* she digs.

Edit: Update 20 minutes after posting: she has moved the water dish to every part of her enclosure and is now rolling on it, and also biting it. Video too large to post.

Last edited:

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Try glass tea light holders. They are too heavy to flip. Yes, still likely to be filled with sub, but I have about a dozen of the glass tea light holders for the more industrious Ts in my collection. Sometimes it is a battle of wills though ha ha

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
New enclosure on the way, new water dish added in yet another corner (I let her keep the old one where she buried it). Here she is dumping it 10 minutes after I put it in. I’ll see where she puts this one tonight and decide if I let her keep it where she puts it and just add another one.
View attachment 472821
View attachment 472822
So I go back to my original question. Until my new enclosure arrives, how on earth do I give this spider water 🤦 She doesn’t even dig wherever it is, it almost seems like she puts it *where* she digs.

Edit: Update 20 minutes after posting: she has moved the water dish to every part of her enclosure and is now rolling on it, and also biting it. Video too large to post.
Arguably worse is when they fill it up. But yeah I’ve had them steal dishes . I generally use 2-3 dishes ; this cage only had one it got filled with moss .::🥳🤣 IMG_8188.jpeg

radiomace

Arachnopeon
Try glass tea light holders. They are too heavy to flip. Yes, still likely to be filled with sub, but I have about a dozen of the glass tea light holders for the more industrious Ts in my collection. Sometimes it is a battle of wills though ha ha
I'll try that next! I'm worried she might be too strong though, she actually pushed the lid up on her old enclosure and was running loose in the pet store I got her from. (I found her after she had wandered into one of their storage bins, so they gave her to me at a discount LMAO)

I also can't help but wonder if it's a "game" to her (as much something can be a game for a T). She doesn't seem to bite it aggressively, just kind of explores it with her mouth, and she seems very inclined to sit on top of it while it's on its side and roll herself back and forth, then climb off of it and use her front and back legs to roll it around. Maybe once I get a heavier water dish (or glue one to the side if it gets to that point), I'll leave one of these plastic ones in there for her to mess around with. Worst case scenario, she buries it like the first one lol.
Arguably worse is when they fill it up. But yeah I’ve had them steal dishes . I generally use 2-3 dishes ; this cage only had one it got filled with moss .::🥳🤣
I have a couple water dish fillers, usually they take a bit to do it and there's at least a little bit of drinkable water on top when they're done XD For her, though, the second she finds that water dish it's game on. She is actually still touching it right now. It's now in the middle, balanced on top of her hide like a hat. I'm sure it will end up somewhere else in a half hour or so.

corydalis

Arachnoknight
I have a pair still growing, prob. reaching sub adult stage this year, raised them from tiny slings by hydrating them exclusively through the water I sprayed on the side of their tanks, next to their burrow entrance. Never had any issues, they molted flawlessly so far.
0.1 A. seemanni, 11/28/2022 vs 04/24/2024
IMG_9573.JPG IMG_9025.JPG
I agree that using water dish is the most secure way to hydrate them, but done properly, the spraying method can also be efficient.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have a pair still growing, prob. reaching sub adult stage this year, raised them from tiny slings by hydrating them exclusively through the water I sprayed on the side of their tanks, next to their burrow entrance. Never had any issues, they molted flawlessly so far.
0.1 A. seemanni, 11/28/2022 vs 04/24/2024
View attachment 472844 View attachment 472846
I agree that using water dish is the most secure way to hydrate them, but done properly, the spraying method can also be efficient.
wow nice 👍.
I had bad luck with the one I got at a pet shop Any ideas what went wrong? 😑
Sometimes, a water bowl is in the direct path of where the tarantula is moving substrate. It has to go somewhere if they are burrowing deep. Perhaps your tarantula does not have enough depth for its needs and the water bowl is just in the way. Others have mentionned getting a bigger enclosure and I agree that more depth will most likely bring out the best of your tarantula.

My Brachypelma emilia AF kept filling her water bowl with substrate. However, she was really digging deep and at some point, the susbstrate had to go somewhere. In my case, I just changed the position of the bowl. So far, no substrate in the bowl.

I have some acrylic enclosures… I detest them :(. I love the visibility… but for air circulation and durability, it does not pass the test for me. Lids were warped after less then 30 days, even in low humidity. Scratched… for the cost, sheesh. I hope yours and the ones others get have a better turn out then mine.
which brand
warped? Or do they all . My custom 10gal lids I forgot how to make haven’t warped except one. The thin one.

TheraMygalo

Arachnopeon
From what I read, they all tend to warp especially the 3mm and less. I think if the door or lid was not “sliding”, perhaps it would not be as much an issue. Mine are a canadian brand. At the price they cost here, for something bigger and thicker, glass or diy would be a much better investement.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I'll try that next! I'm worried she might be too strong though, she actually pushed the lid up on her old enclosure and was running loose in the pet store I got her from. (I found her after she had wandered into one of their storage bins, so they gave her to me at a discount LMAO)

I also can't help but wonder if it's a "game" to her (as much something can be a game for a T). She doesn't seem to bite it aggressively, just kind of explores it with her mouth, and she seems very inclined to sit on top of it while it's on its side and roll herself back and forth, then climb off of it and use her front and back legs to roll it around. Maybe once I get a heavier water dish (or glue one to the side if it gets to that point), I'll leave one of these plastic ones in there for her to mess around with. Worst case scenario, she buries it like the first one lol.

I have a couple water dish fillers, usually they take a bit to do it and there's at least a little bit of drinkable water on top when they're done XD For her, though, the second she finds that water dish it's game on. She is actually still touching it right now. It's now in the middle, balanced on top of her hide like a hat. I'm sure it will end up somewhere else in a half hour or so.
They are heavy so think you will be ok. Talking of "games" I experimented with my T blondis by giving them ping pong balls. I have a great video of one "playing"

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
View attachment 472821
View attachment 472822

try using a peanut butter lid its harder to move around course it might just get constantly filled with dirt to