Avic able to distinquish between strangers?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would never tong feed my Pokies or arboreal baboons. F that.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
I tong fed my avic avic until one day she grabbed onto the tongs and literally pulled them into the tank with her. I shut the screen just in time to save my fingers from going in with the tongs. Now I let her fend for herself lol!

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
Awesome idea with the vents! I can be watching my Ts for a while and when I call her over to see something cool some of them will go to ground. Same ones every time.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I actually feed many of my arboreals with my fingers often...including pokies.
Glad I read the rest of your post, otherwise I would've thought you're telling everyone to man up and stop being such sissys :D Wait - I sense you may did that despite the explanation...*evil eye* :D

Kidding aside - I feed my C. fimbriatus MM like that - the ventilation holes are fine for mealworms and it works just fine that way. Only have to open the cage for refilling the waterdish.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Glad I read the rest of your post, otherwise I would've thought you're telling everyone to man up and stop being such sissys :D Wait - I sense you may did that despite the explanation...*evil eye* :D

Kidding aside - I feed my C. fimbriatus MM like that - the ventilation holes are fine for mealworms and it works just fine that way. Only have to open the cage for refilling the waterdish.
I had a P metallica that I fed mealworms to via one of his vent holes a couple of times. Ever after that he was always checking that vent hole for offerings. Lol

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I like drilling/burning a hole in lid and putting a tight cork in it -- just for feeding.
I can't fit a feeder through my vent holes. :(

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 09:01 AM ----------

Tarantulas are extremely sensitive to their surroundings, including scents, variations in movements, etc. ....All my animals, furred and setaed alike, have acclimated
So true. Any new T here may hide a while, but after a while, they know the routines and noises -- I see most of them out when I enter the room.

cold blood

Staff member
It does make feeding easy, and if a t isn't near the vents, all I do is put a deli cup full of supers or mealies on the lid and if the t is hungry, its on the lid very quickly, and in position to be handed a prey item. Food not eaten right away is just pulled back out, never even hits the floor.

Lmao, I certainly wasn't suggesting others "man up" (hehe), just sharing an easy feeding method.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
It does make feeding easy, and if a t isn't near the vents, all I do is put a deli cup full of supers or mealies on the lid and if the t is hungry, its on the lid very quickly, and in position to be handed a prey item. Food not eaten right away is just pulled back out, never even hits the floor.

Lmao, I certainly wasn't suggesting others "man up" (hehe), just sharing an easy feeding method.
Well good thing you posted that when you did!!! I was feeling like a wuss after your post and was just getting ready to try to get my adult female H.mac with an eggsac to take a waxworm from my mouth!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I tong feed everything i can. I have two sets of tongs, one is a set of 16" hemostats, and one is 6" tweezers. I use the 6" tweezers for just about everything. And thats from G. rosea to S. calceatum, and from 1/2" to 7 1/2", with no problems. You just have to know how to do it. Sterilite tubs are also my favorite. I can stack them, can see in, as long as the sides arent webbed over, and they are cheap. If the sides are webbed over, just take the lid off and look in, the tarantula isnt going to come bolting out like its satanic or anything.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I've had a fully grown A. genic run up the feeding tongs. Twice. She's even jumped onto them from a rather good distance away. That'll scare the daylights out of you!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

SpiderInTheBath

Arachnosquire
I suppose you have different vibrations, if nothing else. It's hard not to project onto them, but my little G. Pulchripes seemed to recall that I'd moved her from her spot when I re opened the cage later to offer food. She was flicking hairs which she never normally does. So it certainly looked like she recalled the previous encounter and was saying NO THANKS to another. But who knows what she was actually thinking... There's no way to tell what the difference was.