Avicularia purpurea Sling help needed

GremlinGreta

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone can help with the sling set up for an avic. purpurea? There’s a lot of conflicting information online.

I currently have mine in arboreal keeper, however he’s having difficulty not falling off the top which is unfortunately where he likes to hang out, hasn’t done much webbing either and I’m a bit concerned.

He can climb on the top but as you can see he slips and sometimes falls off but usually can correct the fall by grabbing onto the leaves. Any advice for a better set up would be much appreciated or if this one is okay and he needs more time to settle, I’ve had him a week and he has been eating well but refused yesterday & today.

(There is a small water dish in there too).

Thank you in advance!

View attachment IMG_9064.mp4

(Incase video isn’t working)
IMG_9068.jpeg

cold blood

Staff member
losing grip is a sign of pre molt, there is nothing you can do about it.

I would advise putting a few holes near the ground in that little enclosure or you are looking at a veritable death trap.

Adding a small water dish is also advisable.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire

This will point you in the right direction as well

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I bought a T that came in one of those. If it locked it all the way shut, it would occlude the vent holes at the middle. Make sure they line up ASAP.

When you heed cold blood's advice, be sure to take the T out first especially since he's having trouble sticking, I'd put him in his old enclosure while you do. Always good to leave the old enclosure "as is" with slings, if possible, in case it doesn't thrive in its new home. Much easier to monitor in a smaller enclosure.

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire

This will point you in the right direction as well
Yeahh!! More Avic husbandry guides!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Going to molt - common question

please up on Avics much more than you have or it may die

Papiroach

Arachnopeon
please poke some holes on the side for cross ventilation, your T have a higher possibility of dying if you don't add holes on the side, rather than falling from the top lid. ;)
but nice enclosure though :happy:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
please poke some holes on the side for cross ventilation, your T have a higher possibility of dying if you don't add holes on the side, rather than falling from the top lid. ;)
but nice enclosure though :happy:
I thought the same thing were is the ventilation?? Unfortunately my deli cups were tossed by someone so I’ve got no examples but you described it perfectly.

GremlinGreta

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, thanks for your advice it’s much appreciated. The keeper does have cross ventilation on each side (photo below), it’s just not on the side in the video where the lock mechanism is but I’ll put more in.

IMG_9059.jpeg

I’ve raised avics from slings before but never a purpurea which I’ve read can be a little trickier, my first thought was pre-moult but he doesn’t seem fat enough to me. Hence the concern. 😅

thanks again!