Votes: 13 68.4%
  • psalmopoeus cambridgei

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Meanwhile I was trying to make sense out of the Psalmo/Poec and Avic/Tapinauchenius comparisons....still am.
You're not going to make sense of it because you wouldn't want to even if the evidence was right in front of you. I've already explained why I think they're similar. If you disagree, that's fine. No need to drag this out.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
You're not going to make sense of it because you wouldn't want to even if the evidence was right in front of you. I've already explained why I think they're similar. If you disagree, that's fine. No need to drag this out.
My post was sincere. I was asking you to explain the comparison. If you are having an emotional moment then move along. NO need for your petty defensiveness as response to a simple question. Help a fella understand your thought process or just shuffle along and do not bother posting such thoughts in the future. You are seemingly imagining my inquiry as a challenge and throwing attitude for no reason. If we can't discuss things here then why have these forums to begin with? Bob if you ever need to talk about what is bothering you, just PM me bro. We can talk it out anytime you like...heck I have family in Florida, we can talk about it in a Tiki hut over some generic light beer.

Last edited:

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I've never heard of this information, not saying it's wrong. However, I'd be curious to know what observations this is based on.

Define "non-excessive", and "higher than normal" these are entirely subjective terms which mean nothing to anyone reading it. Each phrase implies there's a specific amount of ventilation for other Avic species. I doubt anyone has conducted a scientific study on ventilation. Husbandry observations over time, sure, but those are not scientific. Those fall under the category of "this works, I'll use this"

---------- Post added 02-14-2015 at 11:13 AM ----------

Goliaths are skittish, I would not classify them as defensive. I own them, another board member w/them had the same observations.
I've explained where I have my knowledge to other board members. I have friends that own hundreds of Avics, many different spieces, dozens of each, and my own experience . Based on how they attained their information was from wildlife observation, not " this works, i'll use it". You are right about the subjective terms, I simply used it as a comparison to other comments in previous posts, pics etc..

---------- Post added 02-17-2015 at 12:32 PM ----------

As for goliaths I said "known" based on what I've heard.

scott99

Arachnoknight
Avaicularia or psalmopoeus cambridgei

I'm having a problem deciding weather I should get a Avicularia or psalmopoeus cambridgei. know that p cambridgei can be aggressive and very fast, but I know that they are a lot hardy their Avicularia, I don't want Avicularia to just die on me

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
Whichever you get, will you planning to raise it from a sling or get a juvenile/adult tarantula?

I'm having a problem deciding weather I should get a Avicularia or psalmopoeus cambridgei. know that p cambridgei can be aggressive and very fast, but I know that they are a lot hardy their Avicularia, I don't want Avicularia to just die on me

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, avics aren't really that hard to keep. people just keep them stuffy and humid with no cross ventilation. just drill some holes in the side, give them only a big water dish, and more room. I've noticed they do a heck of a lot better if you give them more room.
Don't get the psalmos if you are new or haven't kept an arboreal before. You don't know what you're getting in to with them.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Just as an FYI I don't mean for any of what I just said to come off as offensive.. Apologizing in advance if it sounds so

scott99

Arachnoknight
if I get Avaicularia I'm planning on getting an adult , if I get psalmopoeus cambridgei I'm planning on getting a sling or juvenile

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
What species do you have currently?

---------- Post added 02-18-2015 at 12:21 AM ----------

Do you only have LP?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Based on how they attained their information was from wildlife observation,.

You have sweet friends! ;) So the ventilation and more dry conditions were observed in the wild then? How were these observations recorded, esp the one for ventilation? I'd be curious to know.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
You have sweet friends! ;) So the ventilation and more dry conditions were observed in the wild then? How were these observations recorded, esp the one for ventilation? I'd be curious to know.
:).. I paraphrased dryer conditions, because I was making a comparison to the way A. Versicolor is kept in captivity. In Martinique along with the other islands the A. Versicolor is found on, the coastal effect brings high humidity coupled with great vegetation, promoting the A. Versicolor's thriving life, yet has an unusually high amount of ventilation due to air flow by coastal winds compared to just about every other avic which are found in dense rainforests, with exception perhaps of a couple sp. The point I was trying to make is that Most Avics don't need an unusually high amount of ventilation in comparison to most other high humidity T's. All you need to accomplish is average ventilation and non stagnant conditions. Avics live in areas of moist substrate, so why keep sub dry? Just make sure sub isn't overly moist, and that ventilation is there. Water dish added is obviously great for added humidity. But you knew this. So A. versicolor should just be given more ventilation because the're born into environments with more ventilation in nature. As dense as there forests are, they are NOT massive bodies of land, and are encompassed by what i previously mentioned. I hope this answers your questions. When people say all Avics NEED more ventilation compared to other T's, what are they basing that on? I believe it's due to the the failures over time with A. Versicolor and they just stapled every other Avic along with this stipulation. Note this last sentence is My Opinion

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:).. I paraphrased dryer conditions, because I was making a comparison to the way A. Versicolor is kept in captivity. In Martinique along with the other islands the A. Versicolor is found on, the coastal effect brings high humidity coupled with great vegetation, promoting the A. Versicolor's thriving life, yet has an unusually high amount of ventilation due to air flow by coastal winds compared to just about every other avic which are found in dense rainforests, with exception perhaps of a couple sp. The point I was trying to make is that Most Avics don't need an unusually high amount of ventilation in comparison to most other high humidity T's. All you need to accomplish is average ventilation and non stagnant conditions. Avics live in areas of moist substrate, so why keep sub dry? Just make sure sub isn't overly moist, and that ventilation is there. Water dish added is obviously great for added humidity. But you knew this. So A. versicolor should just be given more ventilation because the're born into environments with more ventilation in nature. As dense as there forests are, they are NOT massive bodies of land, and are encompassed by what i previously mentioned. I hope this answers your questions. When people say all Avics NEED more ventilation compared to other T's, what are they basing that on? I believe it's due to the the failures over time with A. Versicolor and they just stapled every other Avic along with this stipulation. Note this last sentence is My Opinion
Now I see what you mean. That is absolutely true regarding many tropical islands. I know Puerto Rico is exactly as you described. I also believe you are right about failures. I think many keepers find it a hard balance between moist and mold, and ultimately after a few dead Avics, go the dry route.

Looking forward to your PM.