Awww man

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
Trade him out for a couple of babies (like 5) and few slings of a different species. I'm certain if you threw that in the for trade section you'd have a taker. Out if the 5 slings you'll prolly get a female and you might get a different species.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Depends on where you are. I've witnessed a couple species of wasps actively hunting spiders, one was an outright dive bomb attack.
Yeah wasps are prob a bigger threat then pedes which are similar match in size strength.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
- Options: You could have vent sexed him yourself at 2.5". You could have asked the seller to send a few vent pics and posted them here. You could have gotten a sexed juvenile female instead. There were ways to avoid your disappointment. None would have taken much time, effort, or money.

- While some people may sell off juvenile males of high-priced species, I doubt it happens much with the common species. People aren't breaking down doors to get female albo's and breed them so that they cash in on slings. Your theory on this is unlikely. No need for scapegoats; I don't think you were dealt a bad hand. Luck-of-the-draw: you only got one albo. This once again shows the fallacy of getting one unsexed juvenile and counting on it being a female. Maybe albo's are 60% male (who knows for sure), so you probably should have gotten 3 unsexed youngsters and you would have had your female. You could have sold/traded the surplus. Those could have paid for the one you kept.

- Decades? How long do you think females live? The desert/semi-arid species may live 25-30 years, but others from higher rainfall areas are less. If you really wanted to have a 15-20 year pet, all the more reason to get a sexed juvenile.

poec54 stop yelling at me, i'm sensitive!
lol I completely missed this the other day. I knew buying a tarantula that big unsexed was a risk, it was the only one they had. so I also bought two curly hair slings (which I clearly state earlier in the post) so I did get my 3 like you suggest. I was just hoping the bigger prettier one was a girl. now I wait to see what the other two are. actually I lost one so I only have one left to watch (again clearly stated earlier)and the life expectancy of a female curly hair is 15 yrs , I'm betting more with the better care techniques we have these days . which clearly falls into my decades range. I am vindicated!!! which was of course expected. I'm kind of always right. its a curse.

---------- Post added 06-24-2015 at 05:43 AM ----------

oh and I suck at vent sexing, my curly hair molt was 3+ inches and I still needed a microscope to sex it, so wouldn't have done me no good to check it out first.
It was a risk. I knew it. im just disappointed in the results. I ate some ice cream, was mean to my wife for a day. i'm better now.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
End of the day if he's your favorite then keep him, turning out male shouldn't change that.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I suck at vent sexing, my curly hair molt was 3+ inches and I still needed a microscope to sex it, so wouldn't have done me no good to check it out first.
It was a risk. I knew it. im just disappointed in the results.
The best way to learn is go thru the vent sex pics on a forum or two, and look at lots of pics, and what sex the posts think they are. Look at enough and eventually you get the hang of it. Even you could learn to do it.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
So poec I followed your advice and went and taught myself how to vent sex. during my research I found a video where a guy took pics of a spider molt with a microscope and I realized that the spiders umm...lady parts...are a LOT smaller than I thought. I was not looking for anything that small
So I re-examined my my spiders shed at a higher magnification, and sure enough -IT'S A GIRL! whoo whoo!

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Apparently you missed my point. Just because YOU do not see a need to breed them, doesn't mean there aren't 500 people out there that do and are looking for your male. You can just sell him and buy others, or trade him for slings of a different species. Just because YOU don't want to breed it, doesn't mean you can't still use the male to your advantage. Just don't do a breeding loan, the other options are still viable....he's only a waste if you do nothing and keep him till he dies...and that's entirely your choice to choose to not get anything for him.

Males are desirable to someone, I can guarantee that.
tell that to my poor MM L. difficilis, he doesn't seem to be desirable to anyone.. :(

You know what I would call a husband who's mean to me over things I can't control?

EX-husband.
love this!! LOL THIS.. EXACTLY THIS!! made my day!

That one made my day! :D
me too Storm, me too.. hahaha

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I was of course kidding. I am never mean to my wife. there's no way I could take her in a fight.