B albiceps sling

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
So my B albiceps sling I just got 2 weeks ago instantly built a burrow and and hasn’t eaten I think the top caved in so I went ahead and pulled the dirt out finally since he was looking skinny and a cricket ran down to him and he is finally eating. My question is what can I add in his substrate so it holds better? I use jungle mix, creature mix, and coco fiber plus some moss. Or should I put him in a flat container with a tiny hide instead of having lots of substrate? I want to do what’s best for him to be comfortable but I also don’t want him dying since he so little. Thank u!!

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
So my B albiceps sling I just got 2 weeks ago instantly built a burrow and and hasn’t eaten I think the top caved in so I went ahead and pulled the dirt out finally since he was looking skinny and a cricket ran down to him and he is finally eating. My question is what can I add in his substrate so it holds better? I use jungle mix, creature mix, and coco fiber plus some moss. Or should I put him in a flat container with a tiny hide instead of having lots of substrate? I want to do what’s best for him to be comfortable but I also don’t want him dying since he so little. Thank u!!
Okay so first thing, when tarantulas seal off a burrow it usually means there’s a molt imminent (it almost looks like it may have molted maybe). From the looks of it, it didn’t appear that it caved in, and has a chamber, which it is capable of digging itself back out. Also your T in the first photo is anything but skinny by any sense of the meaning respective of spiders.

Not eating for 2 weeks is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, they can go many months and even years in sone cases. They do need access to water no matter what though, like a water dish.

In regards to the substrate question, it’s really just up to personal preference, but less fibrous substrate such as topsoil that has clay in it in general holds well. Honestly I have not really found even straight peat moss to be a problem for holding burrows as the tarantulas fortify it with webbing.

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Okay so first thing, when tarantulas seal off a burrow it usually means there’s a molt imminent (it almost looks like it may have molted maybe). From the looks of it, it didn’t appear that it caved in, and has a chamber, which it is capable of digging itself back out. Also your T in the first photo is anything but skinny by any sense of the meaning respective of spiders.

Not eating for 2 weeks is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, they can go many months and even years in sone cases. They do need access to water no matter what though, like a water dish.

In regards to the substrate question, it’s really just up to personal preference, but less fibrous substrate such as topsoil that has clay in it in general holds well. Honestly I have not really found even straight peat moss to be a problem for holding burrows as the tarantulas fortify it with webbing.
K so I opened the top and that’s him finally eating. He has a water bowl I was just worried I thought slings had to eat more often. But now I feel better hearing slings can go a bit of time also!! Thank u so much lol these tiny slings can stress me out and every time they have been ok😂 he’s my only one that burrows so this is new!! I have 2 in some dram vials but theirs have perfect openings so guess this just how this baby is!! How often do u suggest I feed slings? I’ve been doing it every 3-4 days so far

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
How often do u suggest I feed slings? I’ve been doing it every 3-4 days so far
Rigid feeding schedules, especially for slow growing species like your Brachypelma albiceps, is not advised because it can lead to very quickily getting all the resources needed for a molt and then having a very extended “pre-molt” fasting period, potentially sealed off for months on end until it’s ready to molt. Feed based on the abdomen size, if it is quite plump it doesn’t need to be fed with any urgency. I know that is nuanced and hard to grasp fully when new but I’d say maybe back it off to check and potentially feed onky 1x/week, or potentially longer if needed.

cold blood

Staff member
These slings are some of the worst eating, slowest growing sings you could ever raise.....its imperative that you dont give it room to burrow away, you want it out and available. House it in a small condiment cup.

Keep it simple

cold blood

Staff member
Rigid feeding schedules, especially for slow growing species like your Brachypelma albiceps, is not advised because it can lead to very quickily getting all the resources needed for a molt and then having a very extended “pre-molt” fasting period, potentially sealed off for months on end until it’s ready to molt. Feed based on the abdomen size, if it is quite plump it doesn’t need to be fed with any urgency. I know that is nuanced and hard to grasp fully when new but I’d say maybe back it off to check and potentially feed onky 1x/week, or potentially longer if needed.
so true...and especially for such a poor eating sling as an albiceps is...I actually only feed this species once every 2-3 weeks....and even then, I tend to get more refusals than takes.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
so true...and especially for such a poor eating sling as an albiceps is...I actually only feed this species once every 2-3 weeks....and even then, I tend to get more refusals than takes.
Yea same here…. refusals even at a month haha!!

Although, I think though the group of Augacephalus breyeri I have now, take the cake as the poorest eating species as slings I’ve ever raised!

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
K I’ll try to learn his abdomen style too my N chromatus sling took me a minute since his booty is long and thinner then my G pulchra or L sazimai and T albo abdomens lol if he would just give me a good view but I’m wondering if he has that kinda booty which would explain a lot and I could cut back! Thank u I didn’t even think about that!

These slings are some of the worst eating, slowest growing sings you could ever raise.....its imperative that you dont give it room to burrow away, you want it out and available. House it in a small condiment cup.

Keep it simple

Ok this is what I was wondering I got some small cups just in case if this would be better!! But wanted to check here first since I was t 100% sure. K perfect I will do this!! I have him in a tiny 2x2x4 sling enclosure with 4 being the height but I’m still not sure he can find the food I even took my largest crickets and ripped off their heads put at top of his burrow 2 times and nothing!! I did same for my tiny G pulchripes even smaller then this B albiceps and he ate his. So k thank u so much I will rehouse this little guy!!

Will it just make him want to eat better if he’s actually hungry? lol he’s like my picky kid is with food then! lol I saw him for only 20 plus my G pulchripes at our expo and for those prices I quickly just had to snatch them up! lol I knew a lot about the G pulchripes since I’ve been wanting one but I only knew the B albiceps was a pretty terrestrial with a gold carapace 😂 but I’m learning lots fast now!! Thanks for the advice

cold blood

Staff member
Although, I think though the group of Augacephalus breyeri I have now, take the cake as the poorest eating species as slings I’ve ever raised!
Yeah, I have bred A. ezendami and they are up there with the worst eating slings as well.
Will it just make him want to eat better if he’s actually hungry? lol he’s like my picky kid is with food then!
its not about being picky, its about a lack of a desire to eat...they just dont want to eat all that often when they are young.....but at least having them not burrowed away helps the appetite at least a little bit and allows you to actually monitor them.

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I have bred A. ezendami and they are up there with the worst eating slings as well.

its not about being picky, its about a lack of a desire to eat...they just dont want to eat all that often when they are young.....but at least having them not burrowed away helps the appetite at least a little bit and allows you to actually monitor them.
Omg u have bred tarantulas??!! Ur brave I have raised and currently am with jumping spiders lol but not near as many babies!! I love watching breeding and sling videos of T’s though!! lol I just think that’s so cool!!

cold blood

Staff member
Omg u have bred tarantulas??!!
so many I couldnt count ;)

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
so many I couldnt count ;)

Omg sorry I just seen this dealing with my grandpas passing but this is AMAZING!!!!! Omg u have so many different species!!! If my slings grow into males I know who to send them to😂 omg I can’t stop staring at these pics🥰🥰