B emilia sling 2 year growth

SunRoseSpider

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone!

I first got a B emilia sling in April 2022, so it's coming up to 2 years and they have only moulted once. Other slings I got at the same time have now grown to decent sizes after moulting several times. Wondering if this is normal for a B emilia, as I know they're slow growers but still looking like they're in the vulnerable size/stage after two years has me worried.

Current care info: Average temp in the room there in is 18-20C and I don't use any additional heating for them. Fed mostly locusts and they don't eat much, but neither does my other Brachpelma (hamorii). Anything I am doing wrong/should be different? Other slings that have raised similar with no issue include LP, T albo, D pentaloris as my reference. Other B was a juvie when first got it.

First picture is April 2022 second one is taken today.

IMG_1794.jpeg IMG_0901.jpeg

Any advice appreciated thank you!:)

Last edited:

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Genuses like Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, and Grammastola are NOTORIOUS for slow growth rates. Like cold blood said every other sling you've mentioned have faster growth rates than any Brachypelma.

SunRoseSpider

Arachnosquire
TY both and good to know! I guess I just wasn't prepared for how slow that growth rate actually is

cold blood

Staff member
Get an albiceps sling...it will make you think your emelia is a fast grower...haha

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hard to say given we don’t know much you feed

Mine certainly grew faster- but I feed mine as often as it will eat crix

0viWan

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter +
I have 4 B. Klaasi slings. All of them presumably sac mates and the same size at time of shipping (3/4''). Recieved the slings on Aug. 2nd, 2023.

Klaasi 1:
Molted 3 times and is now 2.25''.

Klaasi 2:
Same as Klaasi 1.

One of those 2 is suspected male.

Klaasi 3:
Molted 2 times and is now 1.75''.

Klaasi 4:
Molted 2 times and is now 1.5''.

All of them are kept under the exact same conditions but of course show different behaviour and appetite.

444 critters

Arachnosquire
I have 4 B. Klaasi slings. All of them presumably sac mates and the same size at time of shipping (3/4''). Recieved the slings on Aug. 2nd, 2023.

Klaasi 1:
Molted 3 times and is now 2.25''.

Klaasi 2:
Same as Klaasi 1.

One of those 2 is suspected male.

Klaasi 3:
Molted 2 times and is now 1.75''.

Klaasi 4:
Molted 2 times and is now 1.5''.

All of them are kept under the exact same conditions but of course show different behaviour and appetite.
I have experienced the same, but with 3 b. hamorii. I had 1 with a tremendous appetite, and molted twice within 6.5 months, the other 2 only molted 1 time since i aquired them, all 3 were from the same sac, but i recieved them all at about 2", all 3 had different growth rates and appetites. All were kept in the same conditions aswell. It's quite interesting how that works out..

SunRoseSpider

Arachnosquire
I offer prekill food twice weekly but they don't always eat it, so on average I'd say they're accepting food about once every fortnight.

444 critters

Arachnosquire
I offer prekill food twice weekly but they don't always eat it, so on average I'd say they're accepting food about once every fortnight.
I would also suggest bumping up the heat if possible. 23.8- 26.6 ° celsius. And offering roaches and or crickets to see if it increases feeding responses..

Slow growers can be sped up with higher heat and finding a food they prefer. Some of my species take red runners, some don't want them at all, and I give them dubia instead.

I personally think you will find a better result with a higher temperature alone though. It is a Mexican species after all

Last edited:

corydalis

Arachnoknight
I would also suggest bumping up the heat if possible. 23.8- 26.6 ° celsius. And offering roaches and or crickets to see if it increases feeding responses..

Slow growers can be sped up with higher heat and finding a food they prefer. Some of my species take red runners, some don't want them at all and I give them dubia only.

I personally think you will find a better result with a higher temperature alone though. It is a Mexican species after all
I second that, raised my emilia at similar temps (it went way higher in summer though..) and his growth rate was quite decent to say at least. Got him at the end of 2019 as a sling (around 5th instar), molted seven times in my care (until I sent him away to a breeder):

IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0964.JPG