B. smithi breeders... I Need You!!!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I have a possible mate for my gorgeous $40 B. Smithi!!! I have only bred b. vagans and g. rosea, and I've heard stories.... are smithi THAT difficult to get a sac from? Any tips or tricks for breeding this species?

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
unfortunatly i know nothing of this... but i can sure give you tips on breeding homo sapiens! ;)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Thanks, I really appreciate the offer, but I have experience in that area. And may I say I have two quite handsome sapien slings! Although, sometimes I wonder if they didn't get a little chimpanzee mixed in somewhere!;)

BBlack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sometimes I wonder if they didn't get a little chimpanzee mixed in somewhere!
hey I don't care how wasted you were
You'd remember............ I'm sure! :eek:

Good luck!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Fortunately, I was done getting wasted in those days. I'm actually wondering if the chimp part didn't come from MY SIDE of the gene pool!;)

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes mizm ur sons have to be the handsomest sapiens cuz from what i hear they have got all the girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!;P

good luck with breeding the smithis i get one right:}

back to the point of the thread comon guys what do u do inorder to get a perfect hatching

mike

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mizM i just got off the phone with a friend of mine who breeds t's and he says that it's mostly luck.. as long as you have a mature male and a mature female (i think) just throw them together and take your chances... hope that helps!!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I bred B smithi last year. I let them cohabitate for approx 2 months. The female has never molted, and never made an eggsac.
I cooled her down last winter too. This winter I haven't bothered.
Mating them is easy, it's getting a sac that's the difficult part!

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
awww i dont want to hear this. i have a 4" female and 3" male that i was planning on making a fortune off of. =D

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ahahah nice chuck

i hope u didn't sell everything and bet ur life savings on this sack like in some crazy abbot and costello movie;P LOL
good luck with urs as well chuck i say go for it cuz the male could get to old

mike
its now or never

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok, let me get this right....... 11 replies, and only one on-topic :mad:

i believe this a a good question, so here is how it worked for me this year:

i got an adult male smithi late october last year and waited till he made a spermweb. my female molted last that june. mid november i mated the pair, and as said mating is no problemo! he was with the female for half an hour. during the winter time i did not introduce any cooling. late february i flooded the tank, soaking all the substate. during this time the female sat on dry corck (the top of her burrow. as the substate dried, she retreated in the burrow and some 2 weeks later she sealed the entrace with silk.
this could mean 2 things....... molting or a cocoon! it was the second! i could see the female looking in her burrow,on the side of the tank carrying her valuble white ball. i left her alone for 6 weeks. during that time she never got out to eat or drink. after this time i took the cocoon from her, and opened it....... to find 400+ nimf 2 (eggs with legs, or what you call them). those i incubated in a incubator and after about a month they all molted into spiderling!

i hope this can help you a bit, the problem is that we don't know what triggers a female in making a cocoon.....

this october i got another adult male. my female didn't molt after making the cocoon. i heard that mating could also trigger a molt ( mating starts the breeding season and the female wants to be ready for the breeding, so she molts!) This worked! and in 2 weeks after mating she molted. i gave her 2 more weeks to harden again, and eat some before mating again. this mating went smooth as can be, . now i'm feeding her more, and more.
if nothing happens, i will flood het tank again in february.

Regards
Eddy

BBlack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice one metallica someone who can help

funnies only go so far. tsk tsk doh!

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok....I understand everything except the flooding of the tank thing...seeing as how I've never bred (my rosie didn't ask permission, she just did it before we got her) and wasn't intending to...at least not yet, I know ziltch about this. So, what's the purpose, or hopefull purpose, whichever the case my be, of flooding the tank?:?

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
looking at the climat data for mexico we can see following:
in smithi habitat, rail comes down equelly every month.... except one! this month there is a whole lot more rain! a true flooding!this change COULD initiate the mating season!

hope this helps!

regards
Eddy

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ehmmmm, I guess you've sold all of those slings right?? Where do you find the weather info???

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well i sold out in days! but then what do you expect when you sell them for only €2 each? but don't worry, as you could read she's mated again!

as for the climat of Mexico... ever tried travel agencies? bought a lonly planet wildlife guide for mexico? ever did a search on the net? bet not..... it's always easier to ask others, and let them do the work for you is't it? well here's what i found:

climat Mexico

Regards
Eddy

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by metallica

as for the climat of Mexico... ever tried travel agencies? bought a lonly planet wildlife guide for mexico? ever did a search on the net? bet not..... it's always easier to ask others, and let them do the work for you is't it? well here's what i found:

climat Mexico

Regards
Eddy
Dude, I thought there was a site or something about that. I didnt want you to go look for that.

Well, thanx.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Hey Eddy... thanks so much. I just spoke with PenneyW. also, she has bred smithis. I'm told they can wait to 2 years after a mating to lay a sac! I'll be a nervous wreck!

My girl just molted two months ago so I'm frothing at the mouth to get this thing going. The male is in NY, I think, but hopefully will be here soon. As far as the climate in Mexico, I'm only a 1 1/2 hour drive from there, so I think I'll just keep the habitat as is.

I really appreciate the tips, everyone keep their crossables crossed (borrowed from Nixy!). And yes Mike "mysonmyson", you will be getting one... it will probably be a Bar Mitzvah present by the time they are ready, but you will get one.