B . Smithi still Popular...or not ?

miserykills

Arachnosquire
I loooooooooove my smithi. I got it as my second T since they're easy to care for and an absolute must-have for any one in the hobby. I bought her as a 2.5" female from a breeder/dealer on here for much much much much more than they were worth a long time ago but I don't mind paying more to get something that doesn't impact the wild population. I hope they stay popular forever, even if they'll never be as popular (especially for beginners) because of the price difference between CB and WC.

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
They are classic. Not only the first T to start the hobby, but my first T in my first collection, and one of the first 5 Ts in this current collection.

I currently have 20 B. smithis. Two are adult females, and 18 are left over slings I decided to hold onto to sell locally after getting lucky with a sac of 840 this summer. And I discovered how popular they still are when Tarantula Canada said they would take whatever I would sell them, and at a decent wholesale as well. Half the sac went to the male's owner, but Tarantula Canada gladly bought what I would sell them.

I was told during all that that there haven't been any successful smithi sacs in Canada for a few years.

Fingers crossed on my B. emilia now...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My AF smithi was the first and only young adult T I bought. Kelly Swift had obtained about 20 or so from someone at a show I was at.
I saw all these orange legs, Ts leg span about the size of a half dollar. He ended up keeping some back.

After about 3-4 yrs I finally obtained one of them at about 4.5" in size by then for a VERY good price.. She was and still is a screaming beauty.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Here, in Bulgaria, people breed B. smithi like mice. Slings cost 5€. I have a B. smithi and its maybe my least favorite T, because it's in its hide all the time and doesnt eat much.