Bad for a Tarantula to eat too many crickets in one day?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Man,you guys make me feel like i'm starving my ts. adults get 1 or two large crickets/superworm a week. slings get fed every other day. am I underfeeding? abdomen sizes aren't getting smaller
haha nope, your good. my porteri gets a couple crickets a month. slings get fed on the same schedule as yours.

cold blood

Staff member
haha nope, your good. my porteri gets a couple crickets a month. slings get fed on the same schedule as yours.
Yup, our past users showed a significant propensity for over-feeding. There's just no point. It takes a certain amount of time for the t to grow a new skeleton and ready its self for a molt. Mashing all the feedings into a short window just means the t will be fasting in pre-molt a lot longer...sometimes ridiculously longer, like our friend the rose hair...which may take 4-5 years until its ready to molt again, that's a long time one has to plump a t....and we wonder why so many fast for a year or more. When I used to over-feed, that thing was fasting al the time, often for 6-13 months at a time, often times it didn't even result in a molt and it hardly ate in winters. In 3 years of more moderate feeding. I think a month is the longest its fasted, but it gets 2-4 crickets per month now.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Man,you guys make me feel like i'm starving my ts. adults get 1 or two large crickets/superworm a week. slings get fed every other day. am I underfeeding? abdomen sizes aren't getting smaller
Nope, my adult specimens get one male dubia per month. All nice and plump. Ever since I started feeding this way, I've only had one go on a long fast (shocking - my G. porteri). It keeps me happy by being able to watch them eat, and it keeps them happy by not overfeeding.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I am still trying to figure out housing situation. Are the T and crickets in same enclosure with a barrier wall?
(sorry if I missed answer to this. Just, a loose cricket in my home could never get into a T enclosure....)

Kymura

Arachnoknight
I'm probably doing it wrong.But if I'm honest here I'm not changing things. They all seem content and look great. :cat: I feed my adults weekly and my slings as much as they'll eat whenever they'll eat it.
:shy:Feel like their only job is to grow so I assist them with a nice toasty room and food when they want it.