Bed Bug (Cimex) bites

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm looking for answers. All data I'm finding is vague. They do not have venom glands. But :
" Serious allergic reactions including anaphylaxis from the injection of serum and other non-specific proteins have been documented"
" they appear physically capable of carrying pathogens and this possibility has been investigated."
" Reactions often become brisker after multiple bites due to possible sensitization to the salivary proteins of the bed bug."

Scenario. My partner apparently picked up a bed bug, possibly a sub adult? and within an hour developed the typical series of 17 bites in a jagged row across her back. Intense itching rapidly developed. Following an established known criteria, severe localized inflammation and itching continued for seven days then slowly abated. I treated the injury site twice a day following standard emergency room sterilizing procedures. Povidone-iodine scrub followed by topical NSAID, antihistamine and Calamine. While treatment temporarily reduced the itching, it had no effect on the inflammation.
As predicted in one infobit I found, the bite site of pre adult Cimex will subside in 7 to 14 days.

In a nutshell, the symptoms strongly indicate a venom or highly irritating substance but all references I've found are vague, 'proteins in the saliva'.
@Outpost31Survivor @HooahArmy Thoughts? Spot any similarities to known venoms or toxins?

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Fully believes that 'open sesame' is a horrible waste of sesame... it's HooahArmy!

Ladies and gentlemen! Let's delve into the fascinating world of bedbugs, one of my favorite animal vectors to look at! Here's what we know or what is contested about their bites:

1. Bedbugs inject an anticoagulant and anestethic into the skin when they bite to help their victims not feel pain.
Although these are not a 'venom' of sorts, word among researchers are causing an urge to want to recalssify the combination of both within the bedbugs' saliva as 'venom'. Why? Because so many people have a reaction to it and reseachers are arguing that it may not just be allergies to the protein compounds within this and the saliva. Research still is pending and little has been published except in med journals where a person needs to pay $$$ to read.

2. Yo, I'm real darn itchy after a bite. What's up with this swelling?
In addition to the near-'venomous' irritants found within the bedbugs' injection, the mouthparts of the bedbug are not smiliar to that of certain other biting insects. Whereas other nibblers induce a shallow bite with a stylet-like lance mouth, the bedbug can occasionally bite deeper than a mosquito on average and has a mouth that is very rough in apperance. The presence of their injection copounds further irritates the mechanical damage caused by the ugly mouth; most swelling will occur from the mechanical damage. Best treatment? Disinfectants, like The Snark has already tried to remove surface funk, and a combination of anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine over-the-counter medications. Soldiers who get bitten on deployment use Diphenhydramine topical cream and tablets along with ibuprofen.

3. How long will it take before I stop itching/swelling?
Your body can take care of the injected compounds in days, clearing it out with immune defenses. Healing the mechanical injury is indeed 7-14 days.

4. If I'm bitten frequently, do I become desensitized?
Yes and no. For some people, desensitization does occur, yet for others, the immune system views the injected compounds as such an irritant, future reactions are stronger with itching and inflammation to better protect the body. It all depends on the person and their immune system's unique reactions.

The Snark

Old Timer
Because so many people have a reaction to it and reseachers are arguing that it may not just be allergies to the protein compounds within this and the saliva. Research still is pending and little has been published except in med journals where a person needs to pay $$$ to read.
Exactly the conclusion I came to. A specific mechanism of injury similar to urushiol coupled to a particularly nasty delivery system. And paywalls are obviously the reason I kept drawing blanks. The predictable 7-14 days is the clue it isn't just random anaphylaxis.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
@HooahArmy Follow up. Three days ago, her rash was almost gone and no itching for 48 hours. We discontinued the treatment regimen. This AM rash has returned with the itching. This is way outside my field of understanding. Seems to be acting like a virus. But isn't fitting into the varicella-zoster symptoms envelope. That is, no alteration or spreading, only increased inflammation of the same 17 spots and only itching, no pain..

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
@HooahArmy Follow up. Three days ago, her rash was almost gone and no itching for 48 hours. We discontinued the treatment regimen. This AM rash has returned with the itching. This is way outside my field of understanding. Seems to be acting like a virus. But isn't fitting into the varicella-zoster symptoms envelope. That is, no alteration or spreading, only increased inflammation of the same 17 spots and only itching, no pain..
Oh boy! No worries yet if the itching comes back. The 'funk' within the bite can remain in the body for up to a week or even longer and continue to pose an irritation until it fully degrades (me, with EVERY mosquito bite). The mechanical injury can also pose a physical annoyance when one is off antiinflammatories and antihistamines. I'd continue the treatment regimen for as long as it takes for the spots to start to heal up, yet if you see any major changes: big swelling, odd colors, oozing, a bad smell, fever, or other significant unsavory things; a doctor may be the best bet. Additionally, itching causes mechanical damage of its own to the skin. Applying a moisturizing-antibiotic cream to the area will help reduce the itching in tandem with the treatments, working from outside while the others work from within. A topical anti-itch cream can also be continued.
You may also consider taking her to a clinic at this point too, if either of you feel it needs professional attention.
Best of luck!

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Bed Bugs are Nocturnal, waiting for they're Host to sleep,They crawl out of the cracks and crevice's of they're Daytime Retreats to feed.
Think of an Insect Version of a Tick, they are initially Flat, enabling them to hide in hard to find locations.
When feeding The Abdomen expands several times it's normal size
After Feeding they return to they're hiding place's.
They will squeeze back into the hiding crevice, sometimes causing blood to be excreted.
This can Help in locating the Parasites, (look for tiny blood spots).
Hiding spots include Bed Frame Joints etc.
Best to Throw Out or Burn All Bedding, Matress's, Box Frames, etc.
Several Spraying Treatments may be required.
As the tiny eggs will probably survive the initial Spraying and hatch a new batch months after the adults have been eliminated.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
@HooahArmy Got referred to an immunologist. Reply being, "Possible localized cytokine release syndrome. Have patient tested for diabetes. If condition persists a full chem panel may be in order."

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
@HooahArmy Got referred to an immunologist. Reply being, "Possible localized cytokine release syndrome. Have patient tested for diabetes. If condition persists a full chem panel may be in order."
Best Wishes to U and Ur's

Last edited:

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
Many pardons if you didn't like my previous response. I'm not certain of how to reply to your 'thinking' emoji. Are there any questions in specific you would like to to answer?

The Snark

Old Timer
Many pardons if you didn't like my previous response.
My sincere apologies. I got lost in a couple of thought trains and that phys sending me an email. Trying to jumpshift from a mechanism of injury intervention to a potential chronic condition. I'm a fish out of water with my diagnostic-therapeutic capacity easily fitting in a teaspoon.

Just to mention, when AB was ported to XenForo Mr. Derange asked for suggestions for addtional vote images. I submitted Food For Thought. When the 'Thinking' vote was employed I thought that was as close to Food For Thought as the program would allow. I only discovered a couple of months ago there is a food for thought vote but is retricted to upper echelon users.
Long story short, I have always used the 'Thinking' vote as food for thought as I did in response to your above post. IE Thought provoking, complimentary.
I see now Thinking is misleading and misunderstood.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I don't have any scientific expertise with bed bugs but what I can tell you is I am highly allergic and sensitive to those demons.

I had stayed at a place once years ago and after a week of being there the telltale signs of their bites were clearly all over my legs.

I was not a happy camper to say the least and I made sure to sterilize EVERYTHING I had with me.