Best Asian Arboreal?

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Bites don't concern me all that much considering I was bitten by a P. metallica. By Asian arboreals I meant more along the lines of Lampropelma and Cyriopagopus.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Bites don't concern me all that much considering I was bitten by a P. metallica. By Asian arboreals I meant more along the lines of Lampropelma and Cyriopagopus.
Ouch! L nigerrimum are nice looking and so are cyriopagopus sp hatihati but I can't speak to their nature since I don't have any. I believe many lampros are quite defensive though maybe a little flighty.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
Hello
I have the following ones
- Lampropelma Nigerrimum
- Lampropelma sp. Borneo Black
- Lampropelma Violaceopes male and female the female 9 inches easily but I will make it 8+ haha
- C.sp. Hati Hati
- C. Schoeidtei
- H.Schmidti
- H.hainanum
- H.lividum
- H.Longipes
- Chilobrachys dyscolus,sp. Blue and huahini
And many others,why I mention all these is that all of these are fast skittish reclusive. They don't like being bothered,and if you do be prepared. The next bite report ? The person that thinks these are easy to have,or trying to make a handling video. Venom wise,I would put the Lampropelma and Haplopelma above the other. People say stromatopelma calceatum or H.maculata are difficult,I can not agree I have all these and those above are way more agro at times and larger. Speed,I'd say my Chilobrachys hands down. Especially my Chilobrachys sp. Black,which is said to be dyscolus. Some I've added are semi arboreal, or like the lividum Fossorial but it is just for temperament reference.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Not exactly a stellar endorsement if you've already been by a Poec. How big was the metallica?

As I said, Lampropelma and Cyriopagopus are in their retreats most of the time, not good display spiders. They're all high strung and fast.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Not exactly a stellar endorsement if you've already been by a Poec. How big was the metallica?

As I said, Lampropelma and Cyriopagopus are in their retreats most of the time, not good display spiders. They're all high strung and fast.
She is only about 2" right now, so not horrible but still not pleasant.

Also, I have not one intention of holding any of these Ts. The only OW I would consider holding on purpose would be a plush or plastic one. There is an extreme respect level for these critters and i wouldn't be jumping in blind, as I said, I have a T. gigas that loves to run and run some more. I don't feel any T is all that fast after dealing with that gigas.

awiec

Arachnoprince
She is only about 2" right now, so not horrible but still not pleasant.

Also, I have not one intention of holding any of these Ts. The only OW I would consider holding on purpose would be a plush or plastic one. There is an extreme respect level for these critters and i wouldn't be jumping in blind, as I said, I have a T. gigas that loves to run and run some more. I don't feel any T is all that fast after dealing with that gigas.
I have a gigas too but she is leaps and bounds calmer than all of the ow I have are. Is she fast? Yes very but she only shows aggression to water drops. The ow are more willing to use their speed and bite, especially the species you are interested in. So I will recommend the O. Sp Blue as it will give you a taste of what the more reclusive Asian t's are like but are not as big or temperamental. Mine is normally a very calm and agreeable spider but rehouses are always interesting as they will simultaneously try to run and take a nip at you. Good luck with your future purchase, whatever it is.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Hello
I have the following ones
- Lampropelma Nigerrimum
- Lampropelma sp. Borneo Black
- Lampropelma Violaceopes male and female the female 9 inches easily but I will make it 8+ haha
- C.sp. Hati Hati
- C. Schoeidtei
- H.Schmidti
- H.hainanum
- H.lividum
- H.Longipes
- Chilobrachys dyscolus,sp. Blue and huahini
And many others,why I mention all these is that all of these are fast skittish reclusive. They don't like being bothered,and if you do be prepared. The next bite report ? The person that thinks these are easy to have,or trying to make a handling video. Venom wise,I would put the Lampropelma and Haplopelma above the other. People say stromatopelma calceatum or H.maculata are difficult,I can not agree I have all these and those above are way more agro at times and larger. Speed,I'd say my Chilobrachys hands down. Especially my Chilobrachys sp. Black,which is said to be dyscolus. Some I've added are semi arboreal, or like the lividum Fossorial but it is just for temperament reference.
If you ever need a permanent T sitter I'm your gal. Jus sayin....

To the OP, watch robCs video of his l violaceopes rehouse and chase. That seems to be an accurate picture of the demeanor of the genus.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight

To the OP, watch robCs video of his l violaceopes rehouse and chase. That seems to be an accurate picture of the demeanor of the genus.
Haha,aren't tarantulas just addictive ?
I just imagine a meeting similar as AA,but for Tarantula keepers.
- hello I am ... I have a problem,I can't stop collecting tarantulas.
- Group replies oh geez another one !
It is a fun,diverse hobby pick and choose your venom haha. We learn something new each and every day,never a dull moment.

Ashton

Arachnoknight

I have watched it multiple times just to see what i would be up against and it does not seem any worse than my temperamental gigas.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
I have watched it multiple times just to see what i would be up against and it does not seem any worse than my temperamental gigas.
I have a T.Gigas,and in no way are they the same. Even my others from the same genus are like sweeties,they are fast but trust me when I say like Chilobrachys sp. Black beats it hands down same with the other Chilobrachys I have.

Sana

Arachnoprince
This thread has definitely reminded me of the reasons I'm not ready for an OW. Thanks guys!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This thread has definitely reminded me of the reasons I'm not ready for an OW. Thanks guys!
There's no rush to get advanced species. That's the mistake some guys make (it's always guys, not girls; they know better). It's best to work your way up in stages. And for some people, fast/defensive spiders just aren't a good fit. And that's fine. There's plenty to choose from in the hobby today, for every type of owner. Stan Schultz was content to have a collection of docile NW's. There's plenty of great species there to keep you entertained.

There's the assumption that having a few OW slings or juveniles gives a person sufficient experience to own adults of anything. It doesn't. There's also that belief that online 'research' is a valid substitute for experience. It isn't. There is nothing that can duplicate the experience of a large, fast, angry spider running out of it's cage, maybe even on you. No 'research' can prepare you for that, when it actually happens to you. That's where years of experience with spiders, working your way up in stages, gives you the ability to calmly handle those situations without an escape or bite.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I can believe that. I might pick up a t gigas is my bank account allows. Ive seen her in person, nasty little thing. Are you planning to get a sling?

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
There's no rush to get advanced species. That's the mistake some guys make (it's always guys, not girls; they know better). It's best to work your way up in stages. And for some people, fast/defensive spiders just aren't a good fit. And that's fine. There's plenty to choose from in the hobby today, for every type of owner. Stan Schultz was content to have a collection of docile NW's. There's plenty of great species there to keep you entertained.

There's the assumption that having a few OW slings or juveniles gives a person sufficient experience to own adults of anything. It doesn't. There's also that belief that online 'research' is a valid substitute for experience. It isn't. There is nothing that can duplicate the experience of a large, fast, angry spider running out of it's cage, maybe even on you. No 'research' can prepare you for that, when it actually happens to you. That's where years of experience with spiders, working your way up in stages, gives you the ability to calmly handle those situations without an escape or bite.
I think some girls might buy them too early. Depends on who you ask. Some might say that I bought my AF pokie too soon (7.5 inches when I got her). I only had about a year under my belt. I had experience with my p irminia and e murinus for a while and had done a rehouse with both. I did however do my reading and had a decent idea of what I was up against. I think some of it does depend on the person. If they did well with their defensive NWs, if they're still afraid of them etc. But i wholeheartedly agree, nothing replacs experience but on the same note, nothing replaces research. You told me you didn't have access to all the info that we have now and I'm sure things woulda been a lot easier, yeah?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
L violaceps, while indeed a pet hole, is a rather interesting species with some unusual habits. If you want something large and colorful that isn't a Pokie, I'd suggest one. Just realize that they're a bit more wired and prone to defensive behavior than most poecs are.

Tballs

Arachnopeon
I have a 3" lampropelma violaceopes as well as a 1.5" lampropelma Nigerrimum. I also have a cyriopagopus sp. Hatihati. My violaceopes is out in the open quite often but is very skittish and will throw threat postures and strike if disturbed. My nigerimum is very bold and almost aggressive and will advance on a threat with its fangs bared ready to fight. On the other hand my cyriopagopus hatihati is very calm and has never given a threat posture. The Haiti Haiti in my opinion is the most beautiful species, it's a shame It never leaves it's burrow. Cyrios and lampros are as big and beautiful as they are scary and demand respect.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
No tarantula should ever be designated as a 'beginner' species.. even the aphonos can mess you up! let's say, for fun, that none of them have venom.. the puncture wounds, alone are very serious injuries. should probably get a tetanus shot before owning any T imo.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No tarantula should ever be designated as a 'beginner' species.. even the aphonos can mess you up! let's say, for fun, that none of them have venom.. the puncture wounds, alone are very serious injuries. should probably get a tetanus shot before owning any T imo.
+1 I only got bit by one T, A anax. Very mean girl sometimes:biggrin:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No tarantula should ever be designated as a 'beginner' species.. even the aphonos can mess you up! let's say, for fun, that none of them have venom.. the puncture wounds, alone are very serious injuries.

Beginners have to start somewhere. Calmer NW terrestrials are the best for that.

The annoying thing is that we periodically have guys come by, pounding their chests and saying that OBT's are a good first spider for beginners. Please join me in correcting next time one of them shows up.