Best tarantula species

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm saying with very little research and reading it's conceivable that an intelligent person can go buy an OBT as their first T and have no mishaps

True, and some do. But the average person buying a T is inspired by pics/videos of people holding them, and wants a pretty one for themselves to hold. They are usually not looking for the 'orange fury' that an OBT can be. That's why OW's have only started to catch on in the last 10 years. Prior to that, people who liked (and even preferred) OW's were looked down on in the hobby. The fast dashes and short tempers were a turn-off for most experienced tarantula collectors, and why there were only a handful of OW species commonly available until recently. Other than Poecs, OW's were cheap, $5 or $10 for adults. They had to price them like that to get anyone to buy them. If experienced tarantula collectors took decades to warm up to OW's, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to recommend them beginners.

Some beginners will get them anyways, with or without research, and we can only hope that there's no escapes or bites, especially for the people they live with, which is something that always seems to be overlooked in the rush to dive in the deep end: are the people you live with okay with having an OBT loose in the house? Tiptoeing thru the house for weeks, checking every place you sit or lie down, looking in your shoes before you put them on? Lots of fun. What about kids in the house, yours or friends of theirs? All the online research in the world doesn't prepare you for the actual experience of a large, hairy spider running across the floor, up the wall, or up your arm, especially if it's in a bad mood. Beginners tend to panic; they have little, if any, hands-on experience to fall back on. And that's one way things get loose. Then everyone in the house is involved, like it or not. Is it really fair to them? Or is this all about 'Me, me, me'? If you live alone and don't have people over, then you're the only one that has to deal with it. Fine. But that's not the average house or apartment. Are you making the decision for other people too?

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
If I had to choose one, I'd have to say G. pulchra. IMO, no collection is complete without one. Large, hardy, docile, very active, and a really good eater. Love their velvety black appearance as they get older. They are a fair bit more expensive that other slings, but they are worth every penny. :)

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I don't have a lot of experience but my first T was a juvi OBT, I knew what I was letting myself in for and in the last 5 months I've only seen a tiny hint of orange in the doorway of her cave so she's definitely not a favourite.

I adore my little P. metallica a real character and always in view. My other favourites are the L. parahybanas, always around and busy digging, then there are the H. incei trio, all different and great webbers but I think my new O. diamantinensis is going to compete for the favourite title as after only a week its been busy webbing, always in view but quick.

Monkeyock

Arachnopeon
I know there are differing opinions about which species is the best to own, so which tarantula species
out there should every AB member or potential AB member add to their collection?
I will cast my vote for the (already mentioned) GBB. C.cyaneopubescens is the obvious choice in my book for care requirements (easy, dry terrestrial/fossorial), ease/cost of acquisition (low to moderate for slings with ready availability in the US), temperament/bite risk (moderate, sometimes considered a "stepping-stone" species between docile NW terrestrials and more skittish/defensive OW terrestrials or NW arboreals), hair-flicking properties (quick to flick but with mild results IME, your results may vary), their stunning physical beauty, their reputation as strong webbers (which enhances their visibility presence even when they are hiding IMO, versus an empty-looking terrarium or pet hole scenario), feeding response (strong) and regular visibility.

I believe it would find favor in anyone's collection.

---------- Post added 09-29-2014 at 09:45 AM ----------

Also a general response to the controversy that has arisen here, I would like to make a somewhat oblique comparison to the keeping of snakes, in that inexperienced and/or irresponsible snake buyers and/or sellers have caused a scenario where snake keepers are fighting for their rights all over the country even at the federal level, and all it would take would be the one, right person to be bitten and hospitalized by a tarantula with strong venom such as an OBT or a Poecilotheria for the entire hobby to suddenly become the target of the same kind of crusade that has made boa constrictors and large pythons difficult to buy and own in many places all over the country. Do you want the same thing for tarantula owners? Would you like to suddenly be in the wrong side of the law and have to decide between compliance by selling or giving away your collection or living in fear of enforcement? Better to keep the more difficult and more dangerous species out of beginners hands IMO, or we end up with bans on many of the species we love, including OBTs, of which I have two, and am happy that I do. Dealers need to practice restraint as well when selling or including freebies, to keep difficult species in the hands of experienced keeper who are prepared to deal with them correctly. If I were a show organizer I would require that a fully grown example, or a model of a fully grown example of each animal for sale be present at every table, so that all the kids looking at cute little sulcata tortoises and beautiful little two-foot retics would have to show their parents the 200lb adult tortoise or the 20 foot adult retic to help them make an informed purchase. Same with nile monitors. Irresponsible dealers sell these things to people who have no idea what they are getting into all the time, and while it is incumbent on anyone buying an animal to research and be prepared, it should also be mentioned "btw you know this will be a seven foot lizard in a few years right?" During a sales pitch. "Btw you know these tarantulas have potent venom that will put you in the hospital, and a reputation that has given them the nickname "orange bitey thing" right?" That sort of selective amnesia, while being deadly for most of the animals involved, is also the quickest route to more bans, and more and more enforcement of existing legislation by the authorities. If we don't police ourselves, there are those out there who will happily do so for us.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Believe it or not Bob, there's no real difficulty in keeping ANY tarantula.
That I don't agree with, try telling that to my S.Plumpies that will only use loamy clay, how many beginners do you know that can do a *good* mix of solid loamy clay? If you say more than zero you're a liar. I have been tagged by a 7 inch Aussie species while I was doing tank maintenance and it was the worst pain I have EVER been through, worse than when I dislocated my shoulder in Rugby. After 30 minutes I started to sweat all over like a wet towel, vomit and my arm cramped to the point where I couldn't move it for 14 hours even with hospital quality muscle relaxers, they pack a serious bite and I would not recommend these to beginners and this is coming from a guy who WAS chucked into the deep end since I'm from Australia. Don't be a hero and if you don't want a fat pet rock get a GBB or something, leave the potent old worlds to the experts.

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
Well that's your right, but it surely doesn't make you right. By labeling these T's as "not for beginners" you are doing beginners a disservice. They're tarantulas, we're humans.
So, what, you're recommending that a beginner pick up a Pokey as their first tarantula? Have you never read a bite report for one of those guys? Because I have, and there are plenty of venomous snakes with less serious bites. Significantly less serious.

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
What do you like about the L.p.s? I have two. One 5". One 4". Sac mates. The bigger one is a funny spider. The second one like to hide a lot. Burying itself inside it's half log. It's out more now aftee it molted. But still way more skittish than the big ones. They're still both kind of scardy cats. I've had them 3 months.
My l.p. is one of my favourites, she just is funny. She will come out when I am watering or getting ready to feed. She likes to remodel all the time. And she is still dragging a Dr pepper cap around with her, which makes her pretty awesome in my book. My obt is another favourite, she is just Like that old lady that lives down the street that hoards cats and paper. I have three poecis and tbh I find them a bit meh. Yeah they are pretty, but they just haven't really shown anything interesting personality wise. I am becoming very fond of avics though, I just like the fluffyness of them :) I think you just end up finding a niche in the hobby of what you like and it doesn't have anything to do with experience level. Fortunately there are so many different species to choose from, a person will inevitably find what makes them happy.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have been tagged by a 7 inch Aussie species while I was doing tank maintenance and it was the worst pain I have EVER been through, worse than when I dislocated my shoulder in Rugby. After 30 minutes I started to sweat all over like a wet towel, vomit and my arm cramped to the point where I couldn't move it for 14 hours even with hospital quality muscle relaxers, they pack a serious bite and I would not recommend these to beginners.
Thank you. And yet we have people telling us 'any species' is fine for a first tarantula if you do some online research. That takes the place of experience. Great advice.

---------- Post added 09-29-2014 at 03:37 PM ----------

OBT gets my vote as well and i pretty much agree with everything venomousme had to say about it.

And this parting advice from a guy selling off his stock, and not particularly concerned about the future of the hobby, as it didn't pay off like he hoped it would. The rest of us would like to see private ownership of T's continue in the future, in spite of bans that have already started in some places. It makes no difference to him if they're banned outright, he's bailing out and looking for the next income source. The difference is that we're in it for the long haul, and *gasp* not totally motivated by money.

Last edited:

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Yeah look I love old worlds to death and you will never hear me bash them but you guys are spoilt rotten why would you want to just join the hobby and go straight to the asians/africans and aussies? Makes no damn sense to me, you guys have everything to pick from, get a big beautiful new world that you can spend time around without feeling like your treading on eggshells and working your way up, that's the beauty for you guys, you have everything to pick from get the damn old worlds later when new worlds wear off and you want something with more attitude. My first ever tarantula buy was years ago but I remember it well, it was an Australian dwarf species known as C.Tropix, I bought it because the bigger ones intimidated me and it wasn't some spur of the moment buy, I had been researching tarantulas and browsing forums for 3 years prior! I thought I could handle anything and that it was all going to be cake boy I was wrong.... The problems started right from the Chinese food container to the tank, this guy was lightening! Striking randomly while darting around the room being one step ahead every attempt I made to capture him and I finally caught him and didn't open the glass lid for 3 weeks because I was in total fear of this little dwarf, hilarious right? 3 weeks later I decided to open it for feeding but I couldn't find him, this being a 90-100% humidity tarantula (They literally burrow in tough wet mud in the wild) the glass was all fogged up so i couldn't see inside, I opened the lid and I couldn't find him, turns out he was on the corner of the tank when I opened the lid and he darted out and ran into my wardrobe, at this stage I was literally having a panic attack thinking I have lost my first tarantula and just wishing I never joined the hobby and how much I regret it. Searched the wardrobe for 30 minutes pulling sheets and shit out and couldn't find him, climbed into bed (Was 5 in the morning) but couldn't sleep because I was almost in tears so i went back through the wardrobe one last time and pulled out a pair of my pants and chucked them on the ground and there he was standing in threat posture like the little tough guy he was, managed to put him in the tank and literally didn't even want to know he existed for a month, anyway I gradually got cool with him and now a bunch of years later I laugh at how I was scared of a little dwarf old world while I can handle my big 7 inchers without a problem. You beginners want to know what it's like jumping in the deep end while thinking you have knowledge because you study a bunch? Means nothing when you're face to face with it, I just gave you a first hand account at what it feels like to be in way over your head, don't let it be you.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My first ever tarantula buy was years ago but I remember it well, it was an Australian dwarf species known as C.Tropix, I bought it because the bigger ones intimidated me and it wasn't some spur of the moment buy, I had been researching tarantulas and browsing forums for 3 years prior! I thought I could handle anything and that it was all going to be cake boy I was wrong.... The problems started right from the Chinese food container to the tank, this guy was lightening! Striking randomly while darting around the room being one step ahead every attempt I made to capture him and I finally caught him and didn't open the glass lid for 3 weeks because I was in total fear of this little dwarf, hilarious right? 3 weeks later I decided to open it for feeding but I couldn't find him, this being a 90-100% humidity tarantula (They literally burrow in tough wet mud in the wild) the glass was all fogged up so i couldn't see inside, I opened the lid and I couldn't find him, turns out he was on the corner of the tank when I opened the lid and he darted out and ran into my wardrobe, at this stage I was literally having a panic attack thinking I have lost my first tarantula and just wishing I new joined the hobby and how much I regret it. Searched the wardrobe for 30 minutes pulling sheets and shit out and couldn't find him, climbed into bed (Was 5 in the morning) but couldn't sleep because I was almost in tears so i went back through the wardrobe one last time and pulled out a pair of my pants and chucked them on the ground and there he was standing in threat posture like the little tough guy he was manage to put him in the tank

This is the kind of 'fun' that Tgrip77 and VenomousMe want all beginners to be able share in and enjoy! How thoughtful of them. Can you think of a better public relations campaign for the hobby? Forget Brachypelma when you can have this kind of excitement.

Last edited:

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Oh great fun! Highly recommend it to beginners, don't forget to bring the kids! In all seriousness though I'm pretty happy I went back and managed to find him because their is a good chance I could have had a dead cat if I didn't.

Jasonbd77

Arachnopeon
I'm a newb, so I don't really know that it's appropriate for me to voice an opinion on this particular subject, but here goes-
I've owned three tarantulas. Two G porteri and one A avic. None were housed properly because my "research" was worthless. I found myself here because I have a renewed interest in the animals. Do I feel that I could deal with an OBT? Yes! Will I "start" with an OBT? No! It's a lovely idea, sure...but there are too many staples to cut ones teeth on. Considering the diversity that tarantulas offer in terms of appearance and behavior, G pulchra and GBB seem like far better "must have-species" than an OBT regardless of ones experience.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I'm a newb, so I don't really know that it's appropriate for me to voice an opinion on this particular subject, but here goes-
I've owned three tarantulas. Two G porteri and one A avic. None were housed properly because my "research" was worthless. I found myself here because I have a renewed interest in the animals. Do I feel that I could deal with an OBT? Yes! Will I "start" with an OBT? No! It's a lovely idea, sure...but there are too many staples to cut ones teeth on. Considering the diversity that tarantulas offer in terms of appearance and behavior, G pulchra and GBB seem like far better "must have-species" than an OBT regardless of ones experience.
You're heading in a good direction. Probably a more restrained path than my own. If you're content, stay with it that way. I just had to have have have. And it's so easy with how cheap some of these species are. That's the other dangerous part to newcomers. How easy it is to wind up with one of these animals and not know it's a hot one.

I used to think I'd never want an OBT at all. Or any OW. Now I have 8. :/
Now I'm NOT advocating getting 8 OW Tarantulas at my experience level. I'm just saying you'll know when you really want one. And since it's not now. Don't do it. I didn't like the OBT at all. I thought "who in their right mind would want such a horrible creature for a pet? Especially when there are so many 'nice' tarantulas?"

Well I soon learned my G. porteri is meaner than the OBT my friend had at his shop. And he let me start working with said OBT under his supervision to see that it's just an animal. And a really cool and pretty one at that. And that's how I got into my OW sling project and adopted 2 adult OBTs (although neither live with me yet)

Anyways..... I feel like I had special circumstances. Even if this is still not my greatest decision in getting 8 highly venomous tarantulas, I at keast have a supervisor / mentor (although he could stand to join this site), experience with wild animals, and I'm at least not some teenager. But only time will tell. I do at least at the end of the day have a fallback plan for the OW Ts with my friend. He'll happily take them for his own or his shop. But I'm confident these will be my extended spider family for some while.

Jasonbd77

Arachnopeon
OBTs are fascinating little machines for sure and I tend towards being overly cautious. I grew up in the "sticks" of Alabama. I turned logs over for fun when I was a preteen. I'm sure I'd be fine with a demon in a box, but...I live with an arachnophobe and have been working on that problem. Last thing I need is the arachnophobe trying to conquer fear with the one of those little guys!

gobey

Arachnoknight
OBTs are fascinating little machines for sure and I tend towards being overly cautious. I grew up in the "sticks" of Alabama. I turned logs over for fun when I was a preteen. I'm sure I'd be fine with a demon in a box, but...I live with an arachnophobe and have been working on that problem. Last thing I need is the arachnophobe trying to conquer fear with the one of those little guys!
Ah ha! Yeah see that was one of the first things I said about the OBT. How can that T help show my friends that tarantulas aren't scary? "Hey here's my spider.... It hates me.... Oh look...... It hates you too."

However, my G. porteri will display the same effect. She may usually be showing a feeding response. But sometimes it's downright aggression. She's greeted me with threat posture before. And she'll come face to face with anything in her enclosure. No matter how big it is. She's ready to fight it and bite it. Even YOU.

That's why my Avic became my go to show others tarantula. Because I could stick my hand in the tank and show them he wouldn't do anything. Even then you can't handle him. He hates it. He'll jump or poo on you. Also not good for helping people like spiders lol.

Now I have a good one. A Euathlus parvulus. Little golden T about 2". Super docile. Very active, will be handled no problem. Doesn't bite or kick hairs (he kicked when i shipped him out for a breeding loan but that was extremely stressful on him by my inexperience coaxing a T into a shipping container).
It's too bad he's not long for this world. :(

VenomousMe

Arachnopeon
My post about bite reports was about Bob's paranoia. I know OBT's bite people Akai. I've read the reports. Sounds painful. In some cases excruciatingly painful, lmao. But not life threatening. I meant what I said in all my posts. Fine, you want to advise caution to new keepers, that's great, really, but why not keep it at that? I think you all need to understand just how much you are turning people off to old world T's, many of which are some of the most interesting tarantulas in the hobby. Turning people away by telling them they aren't ready for one is wrong, period. You have no idea if they are or not. How about just advising caution? Maybe point them in the direction of...say..google. Tell them to research and think about the repercussions of making mistakes with these animals. Don't just bum rush them with several posts from several people all saying basically "NO, THAT'S A BAD IDEA! When all you know about the person is that they like poecis, or H. lividium, or whatever.. I really believe this attitude of caution puts off more of a fear vibe, and it transmits right to new keepers, stopping some of them from pursuing the things they want and would enjoy, making people forget that they're humans and can keep calm and outsmart an insect. It's doing more harm then good. But that's just my opinion, as you say.

VenomousMe you seem to be a clever guy. You seem to be sincere in your pursuit in this hobby and I suspect you will be in the hobby a long time because you seem to do plenty of research as well you should. Do you think the average newbie puts as much effort as you when getting into this hobby? You're kidding yourself if you think they do. You can find hundreds of videos of people holding King Baboons, Haplopelmas, Pokies and YES even OBTs. Is that responsible? Does that sound like someone who has done some research? Don't you think some newbie that sees that video (and YES I agree OBTs are beautiful) will see that and go "It's orange and it's beautiful and look at how docile it is? I want to hold one too!" The fact of the matter is there are 1,000s of people who buy tarantulas because they saw some video on YouTube of a T. Blondi killing a mouse or an adult female H. Lividum because it's beautiful and blue yet they have it on 3 inches of substrate. I don't have to provide you the links since you are so good at researching. the evidence is out there. it's on AB as well with hundreds of newbie threads like "I bought an adult T. Stirmi, how do I take care of it?" or "I bought my Cobalt Blue a week ago and it's dying what did I do wrong?" and this is their first post and the 11th hour of this tarantulas life. I WISH people did research as much as you but the reality is that you are a newbie minority. If you're telling someone it's OK to get an OBT as their first tarantula then you are promoting irresponsibility. Not everyone is as passionate as you when entering the hobby. A lot of people want instant gratification and that may come in the form of the biggest, baddest tarantula out there. There is a reason you don't find OBTs at Petsmart my friend. Your argument is that there aren't enough OBT bite reports so they can't be that bad? SERIOUSLY? Isn't that like "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" Come on man, just because there is a lack of bite reports it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You really are reaching on that remark.

Everyone here on AB knows your stance on OWs and it's duly noted. just because your OBT is chill doesn't mean the next one is. Behavior varies from tarantula to tarantula just like intelligence (or lack of) from person to person.

Fyrwulf

Arachnosquire
My post about bite reports was about Bob's paranoia. I know OBT's bite people Akai. I've read the reports. Sounds painful. In some cases excruciatingly painful, lmao. But not life threatening. I meant what I said in all my posts. Fine, you want to advise caution to new keepers, that's great, really, but why not keep it at that? I think you all need to understand just how much you are turning people off to old world T's, many of which are some of the most interesting tarantulas in the hobby. Turning people away by telling them they aren't ready for one is wrong, period. You have no idea if they are or not. How about just advising caution? Maybe point them in the direction of...say..google. Tell them to research and think about the repercussions of making mistakes with these animals. Don't just bum rush them with several posts from several people all saying basically "NO, THAT'S A BAD IDEA! When all you know about the person is that they like poecis, or H. lividium, or whatever.. I really believe this attitude of caution puts off more of a fear vibe, and it transmits right to new keepers, stopping some of them from pursuing the things they want and would enjoy, making people forget that they're humans and can keep calm and outsmart an insect. It's doing more harm then good. But that's just my opinion, as you say.
As a newb who hasn't yet acquired his first T, I'm going to chime in here. Nobody put me off Pokies. A very professional bite report did. I read it and I'm like, "Right... That's a nice, tall glass of NOPE."

Because, you know, having symptomatics that read like VX exposure really does it for me. Or not.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Caution = Paranoia? Right... makes total sense.

VenomousMe

Arachnopeon
Thank you. And yet we have people telling us 'any species' is fine for a first tarantula if you do some online research. That takes the place of experience. Great advice.

---------- Post added 09-29-2014 at 03:37 PM ----------

These aren't mako sharks Bob, calm down...

And this parting advice from a guy selling off his stock, and not particularly concerned about the future of the hobby, as it didn't pay off like he hoped it would. The rest of us would like to see private ownership of T's continue in the future, in spite of bans that have already started in some places. It makes no difference to him if they're banned outright, he's bailing out and looking for the next income source. The difference is that we're in it for the long haul, and *gasp* not totally motivated by money.

One other thing Bob, the personal attacks on Tgrip77 because he doesn't share your thoughts or values just makes you look like an ass. Did a Haplopelma crawl into your pajamas? Now I KNOW that BobGrill/Arachnocrusader didn't let one get loose! So it must be WC, sucked into the gravitational pull of your ego. Hey can you catch me a P. metallica? Female?