Big, mean, terrestrial, display worthy

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T. blondi. Mine's out all the time. Though, I know there are also specimens that hide a lot.

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I want to drop a vote for S Rubronitens. Not a really big T leg wise, but very bulky. Quite colorful, ALWAYS out. I think mine has been in her hide all of once in the 6 months I've had her. And any time I open the top she starts body slamming. She's probably one of my favorite terrestrial display T's :)

I'd also like to add that she is an eating machine. And not like "ha ha she eats a lot". I mean like is a trash dump....

Last edited:

MacKenzie001

Arachnopeon
testdasi was bang on for what I want, I don't care what it's like out of the cage. I will not likely ever handle it more than absolutely neccessary, they look just fine through glass for me.

I think it'll be an H. Gigas or A. Genic most likely, now to find a sexed female in Canada and see if it's possible to ship during the frigid winter, lol.

Thanks again to the people that helped, Mak

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is only 2 of my NW terrestrial Ts that will throw a threat display outside of their inclosure. The first one is my Phormictopus platus and the second is my Phormictopus atrichomatus. Both of these only hide when they are in premolt. Here are some pics to enjoy.

P. atrichomatus

P. platus

Art

arif26

Arachnopeon
You guessed it, what do you recommend for T that is:
-large (7-8in+),
-full of attitude,
-makes a good display T (going to be in a natural tank with relatively high humidity),
-terrestrial,
-and has a good appetite?

Thanks, Mak
any lasiodora, theraphosa, acanthoscurria, pamphobeteus and phormictopus cancerides i think. :)

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And except....that it's not terrestial. And except....it's a horrible display animal as it's never ever visible if kept right.
C.crawshayi is definitely not arboreal! xD

I saw a thread on here a while ago about someones C.crawshayi, I think he was rehousing it or something. The enclosure was large and the burrow (beneath a rock) was right against the glass. Made an excellent display.

Forgive how I will come across here, but when you ask for a "Big, mean, terrestrial" you're not meaning to have something that when your friends come over you can go: "Hey! Watch this!" and poke it are you? If you're not, as I said, forgive how this sounds. If you are, then is that really fair on the T? How would you like it if someone took the lid off your bedroom and began poking you until you got angry, just to show you off?

I'd recommend a C.crawshayi or T.blondi for big, mean and display, otherwise yes, H.gigas is a good one! =) I know very little about H.genic.

If all else fails, a Chilean Occelated (I forget the scientific name) make excellent displays as they're primarily active during the day time.

D-back

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
C.crawshayi is definitely not arboreal! xD

I know very little about H.genic.
I think, when he said "it's not terrestrial", he wanted to say, that it is a burrower, not arboreal...Some devide Ts into 2 groups: terrestrial and arboreal, but some prefer to devide them into 3 groups: arboreal, terrestrial and obligate burrower. ....

A. geniculata is a big, pretty spider, it's always visible and can have some attitude...oh..and it's ALWAYS hungry...{D