Species Brachypelma hamorii (a.k.a. Brachypelma smithi)

Dr Acula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great thread :)

My B smithi is a handful. He swears he's an OW. I've gotten more sprints out of him than my OBT. My girlfriend would rather hold my H maculata now more than him because of a recent flip out he had. He'd been perfectly fine until his pedipalps and Leg I pair touched back onto his substrate. Gladly, I noticed how stiff he was being and the raise of his 'palps, and took control of the situation. I took her hand away from the substrate and prodded Leg IV with a paintbrush. He then proceeded to bolt around the KK, onto my floor, and stop at our feet. Catchcup, lid, transfer, success. She's a former arachnophobe (I've helped break that fear by getting "us" a B boehmei), but he put all that hard work to shame in a matter of milliseconds. He's still one of my favorite Ts though, never ceases to impress on feeding day :D

Attachments

vixsta

Arachnopeon
Very jealous! I have two 1cm slings with no colouration... :wall:

I can't wait for them to grow up haha *wishes life away*

Trogdora

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

My boy Jack after his last molt. I believe he's penultimate now and I'm impatiently waiting for his ultimate molt so I can get him bred! I'll probably only take a couple of slings though (if there are any) as my reactions to the u-hairs of this species have gotten progressively worse over the 6 years I've had him.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I am a fan of this species also. I have a female that I've had since the autumn of 2003. Her temperament has changed over the years, currently she doesn't seem to be into using urticating hairs. This is the best I could do with my nonexistent photography skills. The picture doesn't do her justice. The color, especially of the patellae, is darker in real life. For size reference, the piece of bark she is on is 10,5 cm X 14 cm (4,1" X 5,5").

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some really nice B. smithi pics, folks !

Here's another of Ginger, just taken today. I was feeding her and Niki, the family dog, wanted to take a closer look. So I snapped this rather cute shot of both next to each other. Obviously the T is in a closed cage :p

Ain't that adorable or what ? :)

kalebo1

Arachnosquire
I recieved my very first tarantula earlier this year and it has been growing like a weed. Since then I have purchased an Avicularia Versicolor and a Brachypelma Albopilosum. This hobby has turned out to be very addicting. I thought I would share some pictures of my first tarantula (B. Smithi). I hope you enjoy the photos!

May 2012.jpg Size June 2012.jpg July 2012.jpg August 2012.jpg

macj1983

Arachnosquire
Looking good ! I only buy slings ( I've bought a few adults) but I enjoying watching them grow welcome to the hobby I started with a sling to up to 23 now and that's a low number for a lot on here

Tarantula96

Arachnopeon
I just wanted to post some pics of my female B smithi. I've had her for almost 2 months now and I got her from Jamie's tarantulas. She's about 2.5 inches right now (I guess. There are so many different ways people measure them) and she molted a couple weeks ago which was awesome to watch. I wish her abdomen was a little more plump but I've been told that it will grow as they mature. She is my pride and joy :biggrin:

Attachments

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Very cute little T, my smithi is just 1" and with a small amount of colour, so cant wait till she grows up and looking more like yours.

akarikuragi

Arachnosquire
Beautiful T. ^^ I'm getting a B. smithi sling in the next couple of weeks (hopefully... Please weather cool off T^T). I'm pretty excited about it as I love this species, I think they are so pretty. : )

Tarantula96

Arachnopeon
Thanks! Don't worry, she'll get there in no time. It's amazing how much they grow per molt when they're babies

---------- Post added 06-30-2013 at 01:46 AM ----------

Good luck! And yes their colors are so awesome. I cannot wait for the day when mine is full grown in all her glory.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Had this guy for 5 months. In premolt for 2nd time in my care. this picture is 2 months old. Enjoy :)
Thanks for sharing! :) Is this your first sling or have you had many? I got my first tarantula ever, a B. smithi sling, a few weeks back. She hasn't eaten yet and I can't help but worry a bit despite everything I read about it being normal. :shy: I think she is in premolt, like yours, as she has gradually darkened in color, especially the abdomen.

hannwalker

Arachnopeon
Brachypelma smithi-Clarice 3 year old female. Doing great! Have not ever handled her yet. She has grown a lot in the 3 years that I have owned her. I have only fed crickets, now up to med size. She has moulted 4 times. Should I feed anything else besides the crickets. My pet store now has some type of roaches that aren't that big.

Attachments

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Great looking smithi, crickets are okay to still feed, I give my T's variety(crickets, supers, the occasional hornworm) I would prefer roaches, unfortunately there illegal here in Canada.

Last edited:

hannwalker

Arachnopeon
Ok! I'll pick some up and see how it goes then. Do the roaches have more nutritional value than crickets?

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
The roaches hold the gut load longer and have a higher protein content. When my tarantula got large enough to start taking roaches, we made them the primary diet. I was fortunate because my T loves them. Not all tarantulas find them appealing so you may just have to try it and see how it goes.