Brachys vs eupalaestrus: which is better

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
...Euathlus is just a place holder for unknown species. I think B smithi had this name at one point, I know other established species in the wild have had this place holder.
Indeed. I have an old book (1991) called ARACHNOMANIA by Philippe de Vosjoli, and on page 47 "Notes on Popular Species" the first two are Euathlus smithi and emilia. I think it's Latin "uhhh, i dunno".

gobey

Arachnoknight
Well, after talking about it in my earlier post, I went ahead & ordered a 1/4" Euathlus sp. red from Tarantula Canada. :) And here I thought my T buying was over until spring. Silly me! LOL
Shhhhh.... after my big sling order and hitting about 15 Ts I said the same thing. After all why would I order any in the cold months? Then my friend ordered and put for sale a Euthlus parvulus! Which after much learning from Storm I figured out is indeed a Euthlus now and not Paraphysa parvula.

She's a little yellow sweetheart :)

It's a new species to my knowledge. Chilean gold burst. But it's a very curious docile little T that's an amazing metallic gold color with a red abdomen. Gets 4" tops.

I love her already.

Just a thought. I'll be championing these little fellas unless she turns mean on me one day lol.

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
OP, don't think that there is one 'best' beginner tarantula. Most of the tarantulas commonly recommended for beginners are similar (but not always the same) in terms of attitude and ease of care. I'm sure any Brachypelma would make a wonderful pet for you; an E. campestratus was my starting point, and I got a B. smithi soon after that. One might be a little more inclined to flick hairs than another, but I wouldn't worry about the little things. There's variance in individual T temperaments, so you may not always get what you were expecting. Figure out what most appeals to you, and go for a T with those qualities. From what I've heard, Euathlus spp. are all for the most part sweethearts, but you may not want a species that only gets to 3 inches or so. Again, don't sweat it, because if you're anything like most of the people on here, you're going to end up buying many more in the future. Good luck, and don't buy an OBT!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I wouldn't be surprised to see a reclassification for these at some point in the future - frankly, I'm looking forward to it.
All tarantula taxonomy is 'subject to change without notice.' Some people are frustrated by it. I like to see taxonomists finally digging in with tarantulas and starting to clarify things for us, even if there are bumps along the way. It's far better than it used to be.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
All tarantula taxonomy is 'subject to change without notice.' Some people are frustrated by it. I like to see taxonomists finally digging in with tarantulas and starting to clarify things for us, even if there are bumps along the way. It's far better than it used to be.
True. I've tried to get in contact with a few of them, but as one can imagine "some hobbyist" asking a few generalized questions about a genus are probably disregarded. Sadly, but understandbly, so.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Shhhhh.... after my big sling order and hitting about 15 Ts I said the same thing. After all why would I order any in the cold months? Then my friend ordered and put for sale a Euthlus parvulus! Which after much learning from Storm I figured out is indeed a Euthlus now and not Paraphysa parvula.

She's a little yellow sweetheart :)

It's a new species to my knowledge. Chilean gold burst. But it's a very curious docile little T that's an amazing metallic gold color with a red abdomen. Gets 4" tops.

I love her already.

Just a thought. I'll be championing these little fellas unless she turns mean on me one day lol.
Good for you, gobey. My Euathlus. sp. red should be here next Tuesday. :)

One of the sellers up here usually puts on an end-of-expo season potluck in late November/early December, right at their breeding facility, so I couldn't help myself but make up a list of ones to check out. It got to be a long list, quickly:

- P. formosa

- P. miranda

- P. ornata

- L. violaceopes

- L. tredecimguttatus X 3 or 4

So much for willpower. :)

gobey

Arachnoknight
Good for you, gobey. My Euathlus. sp. red should be here next Tuesday. :)

One of the sellers up here usually puts on an end-of-expo season potluck in late November/early December, right at their breeding facility, so I couldn't help myself but make up a list of ones to check out. It got to be a long list, quickly:

- P. formosa

- P. miranda

- P. ornata

- L. violaceopes

- L. tredecimguttatus X 3 or 4

So much for willpower. :)
Somebody likes Pokies.

I have 2 regalis slings. They're neat.

Willpower is overrated.

Willpower is my weakness here. I've sprang forward into this hobby. Faster than I should probably. But I've found ways to manage the amount I have. It's just that I've become that guy who went from 1 to 20 in 4 months. Slings are a dangerous thing.

As for championing the little E. parvulus'...

Well I'll be helping offer them to you hopefully soon! The "her" was a him. And I'm sending him out to mate with an arachnoboards member's female tomorrow!

I plan to keep maybe 2 to 4 of the slings myself. And maybe trade a few when I get into selling the slings. To cut down a bit lol.