Burgundy Goliath or King baboon.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If that's so, why call out the guy saying his similar sized female is bigger than Poec's 10" MM?
When people say big, they often refer to leg span (Though not always, of course). Like the description of L. violaceopes as "massive" in a previous thread 2 weeks back.

That said, why do people post redundant threads about their favorite tarantula species? Or similarly redundant threads about "rescuing" G. roseas from evil pet store chains? This is the "Tarantula Chat" section after all...if the mods have a problem with me occasionally "calling out" the persistent size exaggerations that permeate these boards, I'm sure they'll let me know.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recommend going with both! But if you have to choose, IMHO, go with king baboon, the shear velvety size of these beasts are amazing. Their burrowing is another amazing site. But many of these folks are right, you will not see it as much as a stirmi. But if you breed them, which looks cooler, a ball, or THIS: lol

By far way more cool ;)

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I have a Stirmi and am waiting on two P. Muticus'.. So ill have to wait a few years before I can develop an legit opinion :p

---------- Post added 01-28-2015 at 10:25 AM ----------

But as for Stirmi, Love' em

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Just seemed to make little sense or serve little purpose. C'est la vie.
Actually if im not mistaken. The record dsl size of preserved Ts actually stands with MM's of this species, not females. Now im not saying its impossible he has a 9.5-10" fem but it does seem unlikely as poecs mm is 10" (tho ill happily admit it the 10" and or the one he recieved could be small for a mm afterall we see tiny males mature out all the time) as if you seen the "is it realy that small" thread alot of ppl over guestimate. Without a ruler and jumping stories within a few weeks, kinda runs us twards the "well its gotya be 10" its bigger then my hand" type of measuring

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I said "more massive" in my initial response, which fits AS48 comment of "bigger". I still fail to see the purpose of "size police" calling out people.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
I should have phrased my comment differently and specified that I do not know the exact DLS of my T or Poec's. I also do not know for certain that this particular MM of his is 10 inches as I have not measured it nor have I measured mine. I think I will edit my post and reword it better. Fully extended I would estimate my MF's DLS at at least 9.5 inches. She looked bigger during pairing than Poec's male of unknown DLS that I assumed to be 10 inches based upon his previous posts. I have not measured and I have no need to. However, I could be off. I was simply trying to say.. T. stirmi are big.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Yes bigger body build as in fatter and thicker built. But by saying record holders are mm i ment the long leggy guys hold the record not aposed to being stockier.. so i can kinda see why theyd think hes wrong, but ik your point when alot of threads turn into "ur a liar" it can suck the fun out of things

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I've seen and owned some wild caught muticus when they were coming in during the late 1990's. Never saw one over 7", although I'm sure some do exceed that. I've had 9" stirmi molt and turn into 10" adult males. Muticus can't just compare on size.
Its not the size of the dog in the fight. I have heard of small tarantulas killing larger ones. Seems that whoever gets the first bite will win most times. Size is only one factor to consider. OW spiders are very fast and defensive...more accustomed to defending themselves through violence thanks to the honey badgers and baboons u mention so often. This confrontation could go many different ways and would likely never end the same. Sometimes one would come out on top and sometimes the other would. Not to get into insect wars conversation but the clash of super spiders is interesting in a childish, clash of the titans kind of way.

---------- Post added 01-28-2015 at 08:37 PM ----------

I vote P. Muticus but I do not have any Theraphosa to compare to. My Muticus are great at their small size and I do think adults look better than Theraphosa, judging by pictures anyway.