C. marshalli / C. darlingi | Differences & Quirks

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
I haven't seen a thread comparing C. darlingi and C. marshalli yet so I thought it was well time. I've always been a huge fan of the horned baboon family, and now that I have both in my possession, I'll introduce them and periodically update my findings on their differences I've noticed as a keeper. My C. darlingi data will be slightly skewed because I haven't had her for nearly as long as my Marshalli, but here are some basic overviews. I have a sub-adult female C. darlingi named Lady Clyde, who is very defensive and has made copious amounts of web on the surface of her enclosure. I also have a sub-adult male C. marshalli named Charlie, who is very skittish, have yet to see a threat posture from and lives almost entirely underground.
Pics are below, (C. darlingi pictured first, then C. marshalli)
583C7BFF-A5AE-41DA-B6C2-E74B4A9539C4.jpeg
56668BBA-8099-49C8-8528-69EB407AB5BC.jpeg
| GENERAL NOTES |
  • Both are Old World tarantulas who are very fast and pack potent venom.
    • Possibility to be defensive, doesn't necessarily.
  • Females of both species develop a foveal horn on the carapace.
    • Male C. marshalli do not grow this horn after a couple of molts, The horn has no sharpness to it and is more like a black nub on the carapace.
  • Both are very similar in coloration as of now, but C. marshalli exhibits more earthy tones of green and brown, while C. darlingi is lighter in color, and has pronounced white-ish rings on the legs.
  • C. darlingi is much bolder, I have had straws bit and tongs slapped just during rehouse.
    • C. marshalli is a bit of a wuss, would much rather retreat to his burrow or bolt than threat pose.
  • C. darlingi has yet to burrow and instead has opted to web up a corner of the enclosure. About 7 inches of dry top substrate and moister bottom substrate were provided.
    • Could be attributed to not fully setting in yet.
    • C. marshalli began to burrow Day 2 after purchase, and now has a subterranean chamber and a burrow with two entrances.
      • These tunnels are heavily reinforced with webbing.
  • Both have not been stellar eaters but will eventually come around to eating.
    • C. marshalli has eaten superworms (both alive and prekilled), dubia roaches, and crickets of various sizes.
    • C. darlingi has only eaten prekilled superworms as of now.

Will update this thread with more findings

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve owned 3 Cerato species. No different in behavior nor husbandry

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
This is not a difference of the species occurrence, it's more of an individuality of the tarantulas. The differences that you've observed can be seen in the same species with two different specimens.

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
This is not a difference of the species occurrence, it's more of an individuality of the tarantulas. The differences that you've observed can be seen in the same species with two different specimens.
Yeah, I more of meant if anyone had noticed any actual differences between the species in terms of husbandry and behavior.

cold blood

Staff member
the only difference i ever noticed with mine was that darlingi tend to be more defensive.

SpooderMooder23

Arachnopeon
I have a juvie sanderi and marshalli, I also have a large darlingi sling.
Only difference I have noticed is that the sling is the only one that has webbed instead of burrowing

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire

SpooderMooder23

Arachnopeon

Attachments

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
A guy that owns the LPS by my old house has been in the hobby for quite a while. He said he's noticed the horns have gotten smaller over the decades. Anyone here with that kind of wisdom?

Still on my bucket list, thank you for sharing your observations. So undecided I figured I'd get both too 🤣

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
A guy that owns the LPS by my old house has been in the hobby for quite a while. He said he's noticed the horns have gotten smaller over the decades. Anyone here with that kind of wisdom?

Still on my bucket list, thank you for sharing your observations. So undecided I figured I'd get both too 🤣
As for the shrinking horns, I'm assuming foveal horn size is genetic, perhaps smaller horned females just happened to be more successful in breeding? I'd cite an environmental problem like pesticides but that's very localized; and there's horned baboons across the world now and that trend seems to still continue(?) I don't know many tarantula sages but there's bound to be one on this forum. Viper joined in 2006, he might have that kind of wisdom.

As for which to get, I got marshalli first and if you're like me and love the horns, I would recommend getting darlingi first unless you're fully certain of the sex. Male marshalli do not grow the horns, and my sub-adult male just has a little black stump where his horn would be.

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
Are they pretty slow growers? I've had mine upwards of a year at this point and it's like trying to watch water boil. I also live in a colder climate and my house isn't particularly warm which I'm sure doesn't help

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Are they pretty slow growers? I've had mine upwards of a year at this point and it's like trying to watch water boil. I also live in a colder climate and my house isn't particularly warm which I'm sure doesn't help
Honestly not in my experience, I’ve had my marshalli since November and he molted once on New Years. I’m currently waiting on him to molt again for his ultimate molt. However I noticed once they get to premolt they take a little.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
only the indoor temperature matters , some people said they grow fast. But maybe yours is just slower.
My sling never made it I tried feeding it everything pet shop had plus baby roaches . And the adult C. darlingi never burrowed or webbed and died molting. So it was a total loss . I don’t know if it was shipping shock or just sick specimens.

maybe the horn is not as large because they don’t need it In captivity as much. Or only smaller ones are getting bread
wish I had trustworthy LPs the guy I got my first rose hair went out business 12 years ago. I wasted my last money on sick Ts at the only petstore I could find around here that has Ts in stock. Pet supplies quit carrying them.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
only the indoor temperature matters , some people said they grow fast. But maybe yours is just slower.
My sling never made it I tried feeding it everything pet shop had plus baby roaches . And the adult C. darlingi never burrowed or webbed and died molting. So it was a total loss . I don’t know if it was shipping shock or just sick specimens.

maybe the horn is not as large because they don’t need it In captivity as much. Or only smaller ones are getting bread
wish I had trustworthy LPs the guy I got my first rose hair went out business 12 years ago. I wasted my last money on sick Ts at the only petstore I could find around here that has Ts in stock. Pet supplies quit carrying them.

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
Honestly not in my experience, I’ve had my marshalli since November and he molted once on New Years. I’m currently waiting on him to molt again for his ultimate molt. However I noticed once they get to premolt they take a little.
Hmm and mines only about 2 inches now so you'd think he'd get going a bit quicker. Great eater, very cool burrow, and comes out semi frequently so I can't complain 🤷

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Hmm and mines only about 2 inches now so you'd think he'd get going a bit quicker. Great eater, very cool burrow, and comes out semi frequently so I can't complain 🤷
Yeah my marshalli is a litle over the 3 inch mark, so I'm expecting this next molt for him to hook out. Ceratogyrus specimens usually hook out at a much smaller size and I've heard stories of males maturing at the 2 inch/2.5 inch mark.

invertinverts

Arachnopeon
Yeah my marshalli is a litle over the 3 inch mark, so I'm expecting this next molt for him to hook out. Ceratogyrus specimens usually hook out at a much smaller size and I've heard stories of males maturing at the 2 inch/2.5 inch mark.
Oh lol I don't actually know if it's male or female I just freewheel it until I find out