C.marshalli rehouse, Been putting it off...

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've always wanted to do a transferring video. However being bad at multitasking, I can't imagine having to manipulate the tarantula while balancing a camera in another hand. Knowing me, I'd end up dropping the camera and knocking over several of my other enclosures in the process.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I've always wanted to do a transferring video. However being bad at multitasking, I can't imagine having to manipulate the tarantula while balancing a camera in another hand. Knowing me, I'd end up dropping the camera and knocking over several of my other enclosures in the process.
invest in a lil tripod :p you can buy them as small as 6inches [for vid cameras] i used to use them for feeding and unbox vids for herps till somone stole it XD you can even buy ones now ment to hold cellphones..

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just picturing that made me laugh. Lol!

Pyro...nice suggestion. Didn't know such things existed.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Just picturing that made me laugh. Lol!

Pyro...nice suggestion. Didn't know such things existed.
no prob i always knew they had small 3-6inch adjustable tripods and it was funny when the tripods the same size as the electronics. but on the phone one i didnt either till someone was taking their own senior pictures at a park with a galaxy s4 zoom on a 6-18inch adjustable tripod kind of weird to me but to each their own :)

i could have suggested those mounts for a helmet. but i know my room stays like 80+ and i woudlnt want to put a helmet on nor a crummy hat clip so i can take a video, plus the video always seems to shake when people use them. and i feel id have bad luck with the hat clips i can see it now "look my first old world housing.. lets take her out of the tub and in the enclosure... wow that was so easy *as soon as i say it the clip gives way crashing to the enclosure tipping it over and releasing the T..picks up camera and looks into it* and now iv gota find my speedy oldworld gota go bye!"

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can picture that so well! Haha! Gotta watch those hat clips...sounds like the tripod would be the way to go. I always find it interesting what interesting and useful things other people come up with. Very nice.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I can picture that so well! Haha! Gotta watch those hat clips...sounds like the tripod would be the way to go. I always find it interesting what interesting and useful things other people come up with. Very nice.
also had pretty good luck with one of these till my dog ate its foam stuff XD

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
This response is directed at Poec and other long time experienced keepers - this is *not*, repeat *not* for first timers or "hey I moved my juvie P regalis with no issue so I got this down!".

I *don't* want the defensive spiders calm when I move them. I want them pissed. I want them on edge. I want them to hit that point where they have decided to stand their ground and fight. At that point, they *are* caught. With a calm, deliberate and unhesitant move, the spider is restrained before it realizes a bite is the wrong move. With this strategy, you *must* know your spiders and how they generally react to stimuli, because I will be the first to admit an error in judgement can be painful.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people have different methods to some degree and while I'm usually aiming to make transfers for my T's as stressless as possible, I can't deny the logic in this statement. I've had that time rehousing my male C. fimbriatus which didn't go exactly as planned at first, but then I applied the "know your spiders" and realized I could do it the other way with him being fired up. It's, in my opinion, certainly not the best way to do it overall, but it there are some advantages with it. However, I fully agree that it shouldn't be used as common practice by everyone.

That said - you annoy your P. fera by intent to transfer them? :eek:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This response is directed at Poec and other long time experienced keepers - this is *not*, repeat *not* for first timers or "hey I moved my juvie P regalis with no issue so I got this down!".

I *don't* want the defensive spiders calm when I move them. I want them pissed. I want them on edge. I want them to hit that point where they have decided to stand their ground and fight. At that point, they *are* caught. With a calm, deliberate and unhesitant move, the spider is restrained before it realizes a bite is the wrong move. With this strategy, you *must* know your spiders and how they generally react to stimuli, because I will be the first to admit an error in judgement can be painful.
The problem with that is many defensive species also include high-speed running in their bag of tricks. A few will stay in a defensive stance no matter what you do to them, but that's the exception, not the rule. I'm able to cage-transfer the vast majority of my OW's (60% of my collection is OW) without threat displays, and usually the only dash is as I put them in their new cage. I think it's best for everyone, if all parties stay calm. Once they feel their life is threatened, anything can happen.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The problem with that is many defensive species also include high-speed running in their bag of tricks. A few will stay in a defensive stance no matter what you do to them, but that's the exception, not the rule. I'm able to cage-transfer the vast majority of my OW's (60% of my collection is OW) without threat displays, and usually the only dash is as I put them in their new cage. I think it's best for everyone, if all parties stay calm. Once they feel their life is threatened, anything can happen.
There are those times though, at which even the calmest movement is met instantly with a defensive reaction. Important to stay calm, not freak out, catch your breath and carry on.