C Versicolor

TWellsT

Arachnopeon
20240312_103005.jpg
Hi everyone, I may be being silly, but this is my first C.Versicolor. they molted a week or so ago and have eaten a couple of fruit flies. Have just had a chance to see their underside properly since the molt. Does everything look OK? The book lungs look to be different colours... they are about 1 inch DLS and living in one of the Spider Shop arboreal sling keepers.
Thank you in advance!!

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Once you make sure the fangs are entirely black, you can increase the size of the prey... 3/4" cricket should be a cake walk. I don't think fruit flies will sustain a growing tarantula.

TWellsT

Arachnopeon
Once you make sure the fangs are entirely black, you can increase the size of the prey... 3/4" cricket should be a cake walk. I don't think fruit flies will sustain a growing tarantula.
He'll now move onto Bean Weevils like my other slings, pretty sure fangs are black, but was just really checking if the underside looked OK as on booklung looks to have haired over and the other not....
Thank you for your help!

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
To me they appear diminished likely because the abdomen is so shrunken due to hypovolemia. Need to replenish those fluids after a molt.

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
Like fcat said, you need to get some fluid into the little guy. Fruit flies aren't the most fluid-rich meal (or nutritious) so you should spray some water on the webbing and side of enclosure so it can replenish, or fill up a water dish. Once it gets some fluids and a couple more meals I'm sure it'll look better.

TWellsT

Arachnopeon
He's been to his water bowl, but have just crushed the head of a meal worm and dropped that on his Web. He shot back into his little hide hole, but will leave him alone a few hours and look back in later.
Will keep you posted.

sparticus

Arachnoknight
I see where the book lungs does look like it could be missing some of the outer covering/hair. Maybe had a rougher molt then it should have, but it should be ok. I agree with others saying it needs food with a higher moisture content. This species seems to have higher hydration needs than many others, and they get a fair bit of their water from food. I think many molting issues are a direct result of inadequate hydration.
A cricket or roach nymph would go a long way toward helping it plump up. I also put a couple drops of water on their webbing once or twice a week for drinking. Here's my 5th instar baby (maybe 1/2"DLS) with a dubia nymph- yours is bigger and can easily take food this size. 20240312_204903.jpg

TWellsT

Arachnopeon
I see where the book lungs does look like it could be missing some of the outer covering/hair. Maybe had a rougher molt then it should have, but it should be ok. I agree with others saying it needs food with a higher moisture content. This species seems to have higher hydration needs than many others, and they get a fair bit of their water from food. I think many molting issues are a direct result of inadequate hydration.
A cricket or roach nymph would go a long way toward helping it plump up. I also put a couple drops of water on their webbing once or twice a week for drinking. Here's my 5th instar baby (maybe 1/2"DLS) with a dubia nymph- yours is bigger and can easily take food this size. View attachment 468779
20240313_141600.jpg
Barry is back and appears to be in top form.
Had read so many horror stories of there eing too much humidity, and with this being my first arboreal, was not aware of the size of things they'd take.
A bit of extra moisture in there and a solid meal and he is looking in full pomp!!
Thank you all for your help and kind support.
On a side note, the GBB in the tub next to him is eating absolutely anything and growing like a horse!

sparticus

Arachnoknight
For a long time people were keeping them too damp (keeping high humidity in the enclosures by not having enough ventilation), and a lot died from it. Now people are overcompensating and going to the other extreme saying if there's any moisure it will kill them. In my experience they aren't super picky about the soil humidity levels as long as there is plenty of ventilation. What they are sensitive about is drinking water. They need to stay hydrated to do well, and not all of them will leave their webbing to drink regularly. I see my avics drink more frequently than any other species I keep, especially around the time they are getting ready to molt.