Calcium problem fact or myth

mark poznak

Arachnopeon
i dust all crickets that i feed to my pets. i have t's and reptiles alike and now that i u mention it i just had my avic. versicolor loose a fang during a molt...coincidence?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
mark poznak said:
i dust all crickets that i feed to my pets. i have t's and reptiles alike and now that i u mention it i just had my avic. versicolor loose a fang during a molt...coincidence?
Probably coincidence, but you should still stop with using herp oriented nutrient sups for your T feeders. They aren't doing anything positive and are potentially causing problems, so why bother?

A tarantula has no bones nor metabolic issues related to unnatural light spectra, so the targets for these feeder supplements simply don't exist in Ts.

2shelbys

Arachnopeon
I have an adult female L. parahybana that I "hand fed" nothing but thawed pinkies for all of last year because she had 3 deformed legs that were so un-usable she could not catch prey. She recently molted and has all good legs again but autotomized a palp for some reason. No fang trouble. But this is just one spider so the results are hardly conclusive as far as the debate goes.

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmmm.. interesting debate. I've been wondering about this one myself. generally, i gut-load prey items on fruit and veg and the occasional small dose of calcium-enhanced cricket food. I imagine a T's calcium requirements would be a lot lower than any vertebrates, so I try to just add trace amounts. I guess this is the sort of thing that a proper study of the type of prey items taken by wild T's and their nutritional value (can such a thing be determined?:? ) would resolve.