Can tarantulas kill children?

Truffs1178

Arachnosquire
Oh sorry I thought you were referring to me.

Also what's with the ass-U-me? And no the shoe doesn't fit it's about 5 size too small. I keep my Ts very secure.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't understand. Humans may be more intelligent but that doesn't mean our nervous systems are more complex than all animals does it? Different but not more complex.
Actually what allows humans to be more intelligent (that difference) is the complexity of their nervous system. When you or someone says "different", You have to stop and think what you mean by "different", ie, what makes it different, do those differences allow for greater function in one species than another? In some cases, being different, doesn't always mean an animal, or organ is more complex. However, in the case of the human nervous system, being "different', does mean it is more complex. To give a simple example on the cellular level, simple nervous systems typically do not have a cell type called the interneuron. However, in more advanced nervous systems, such as homo sapiens, they do have these interneurons.

And to give a more macro perspective, jellyfish have nervous systems, as do humans. However, jellyfish aren't capable of the many types of nervous system functions a human can do, why? Because there nervous systems are more simple, they are different, and it is those differences (ie complexity) that allow homo sapiens' nervous systems to do what it does.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A lot of people are failing to take many things into account on this thread. Venom is designed for a very specific reason. It will effect different animals in different ways regardless of the complexity of the nervous system. Some species will have venom adapted to kill certain predators or prey. Australian tarantulas kill dogs but are harmless to humans, funnel web spiders are the exact opposite. Venom is a very complex thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A lot of people are failing to take many things into account on this thread. Venom is designed for a very specific reason. It will effect different animals in different ways regardless of the complexity of the nervous system. Some species will have venom adapted to kill certain predators or prey. Australian tarantulas kill dogs but are harmless to humans, funnel web spiders are the exact opposite. Venom is a very complex thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Very true, and most venoms are composed of many different proteins each having a specific target/effect.

Kroogur

Arachnopeon
There is an old saying that goes: Never assume because then you make an ass out of u and me. meaning it's rarely a good idea to make assumptions because they can often times be wrong both on your end and for the other person involved in your assumption.

WadeG

Arachnopeon
Yes, some species of tarantula can kill a child. Their body mass and immature biologic defenses are easily overwhelmed by such toxins. However as others have stated it depends on the size of the child, the amount of venom, and from what genus/species of tarantula, as well as the available medical interventions.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, some species of tarantula can kill a child. Their body mass and immature biologic defenses are easily overwhelmed by such toxins. However as others have stated it depends on the size of the child, the amount of venom, and from what genus/species of tarantula, as well as the available medical interventions.

Do you have data to support that claim of "can kill" excluding allergic reactions (ie shock-induced death) because no one knows that until it happens? It is my impression there are no recorded human deaths by a tarantula bite. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened mind you.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It is my impression there are no recorded human deaths by a tarantula bite. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened mind you.
+1. Most tarantulas live in the tropics, often in countries were hospitals and doctors are in short supply. Many times people don't know what species bit them, and record-keeping wouldn't be anywhere near western standards. For people living in villages and remote areas, providing hobbyists with bite reports would not be considered a priority. I'm sure they believe no one would be particularly interested in what happens to a villager in a rain forest, or that anyone would be crazy enough to keep these animals in their homes. Snake bites are far more serious of a health hazard, and the record-keeping on them in tropical countries is typically poor.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I'm too lazy to look it up, but I thought someone died of Tularemia after a T bite. Obviously not the direct cause, but still...

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Meh.. I'd consider myself fortunate to die from a bite. At least I'd be remembered for something, cause it wouldn't happen again for another 500 years, give or take a few thousand.. :p

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It means nothing since it's untrue.
Just so everyone is clear, I was actually unclear whether my first comment was accurate or not and I do apologise, the main idea was to discourage this particular topic...

Gel

Arachnoknight
-=Rant On=-

I find it perplexing that people who say "oh noes you have kids and keep those bugs!?" wouldn't think twice about household chemicals under the kitchen sink,open electrical sockets, trip hazard objects on the stairs, a dog that outweighs their children, car keys on table easily in reach of curious children, open swimming pools, propane BBQs in the backyard, sharp objects, the chemical and preservative infused foods their kids are eating, letting their kids walk to school, petting zoos, etc. I could go on.

In most cases, these "bugs" don't pose any more threat then anything else around us. It's unfortunate that lack of education and prejudice cloud peoples perceptions.

-=Rant Off=-

Keith B

Arachnobaron
Just so everyone is clear, I was actually unclear whether my first comment was accurate or not and I do apologise, the main idea was to discourage this particular topic...
Yeah I was like "aww mannn.." when I got on and saw this topic bumped to the top. My last post was actually sarcasm about it, cause suddenly being bit and dying sounded like a good idea after the Tularemia post. A person died? WOW... Dogs kill about 30-35 people annually in the US alone... Maybe I'll get my kid a dog instead cause a person died once... my final post, cause it was fun :D

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In conclusion, be a respectful, conscientious handler of your animals i.e. don't get bit or lose your spider.

Jack lewellen

Arachnopeon
it might be able to because of their venom but otherwise no it feels like a bee sting

and I know from experience I have a pet tarantula and he bit my finger