Caribena versicolor

TheraMygalo

Arachnopeon
I read in many threads that C versicolor like to web up in the top corners of their enclosures. With your top opening lid, it is possible it could be a problem. They also need alot of cross ventilation to avoid a build up of stagnant humidity. They live in trees where there is excellent airflow and winds.

As for the size of the enclosure, it is related to the size of the tarantula. Judging by the colour of your tarantula, it is probably still quite young. Since its a spiderling, the top lid might not be an issue at the moment. They might stick closer to the ground, or not.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Round walls are totally fine, and the size looks fine. But I would just use a waterdish and avoid the misting it looks like you have done. Caribena do fine with dry substrate, a water dish, and no misting IME

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
What has been said already. Ventilation looks adequate. Just be cautious if it webs at the top. My versicolors are notorious for when the lid comes off to go for a walkabout lol

TheraMygalo

Arachnopeon
nonsense....top opening enclosures are not an issue with an avic or any arboreal t
Thanks for your input, i agree. However, some people dont like ripping up web everytime they need to open the lid. Or lack experience around tarantulas and might freak out with a spider going on a walk about. A cute little C versicolor teleporting on a hand and getting flicked off from the surprise effect “sniff”. Those are the things i meant to imply when i wrote “could be a problem”.

I think thats a personnal choice and people who need validation for an enclosure are unsure. They can decide if it bothers them or not. Cicioliver can obviously figure that out for
themselves.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
owever, some people dont like ripping up web everytime they need to open the lid. Or lack experience around tarantulas and might freak out with a spider going on a walk about. A cute little C versicolor teleporting on a hand and getting flicked off from the surprise effect “sniff”.
none of those things are an issue...in fact, a front opener provides a larger escape area

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah top opening enclosures indeed usually have more places to potentially escape when opening, but besides that Aviculariinae have absolutely no issues being in a top opening enclosure and having webbing occasionally "damaged". And no having some webbing destroyed does not cause them "stress"

TheraMygalo

Arachnopeon
Yeah top opening enclosures indeed usually have more places to potentially escape when opening, but besides that Aviculariinae have absolutely no issues being in a top opening enclosure and having webbing occasionally "damaged". And no having some webbing destroyed does not cause them "stress"
I dont think i mentionned stress. Did I say top opening lids cause stress? If thats how it read, it is not what i meant.

none of those things are an issue...in fact, a front opener provides a larger escape area
I understand/hear the point you are trying to make. Its pretty valid: ripping web/top opening lid it is not an issue.

An opening provides an escape area: i am not going to debate that.

I dont remember saying the enclosure was a problem/issue either. I brought up the possibility of a problem that can occur with a top opening lid with a top webbing species. Ive read alot of people not enjoying that, it being an issue or not.

Perhaps if i said: the opening is a possible escape area it would have been better percieved 🤔

Communication isnt always obvious online. Language barrier does not make things easier. But i think everyone is coming in with good intentions.

I like to share information and hope people actualy do their research and think for themselves. I never take what one person says as a truth or fact unless I cross check.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I dont think i mentionned stress. Did I say top opening lids cause stress? If thats how it read, it is not what i meant.
No you didnt!! I was just adding that in there because often times the reason behind people being worried about destroying webbing is sometimes they vbelieve that doing so stresses the tarantula out. I was just adding that tidbit in there supplmentally!

TheraMygalo

Arachnopeon
No you didnt!! I was just adding that in there because often times the reason behind people being worried about destroying webbing is sometimes they vbelieve that doing so stresses the tarantula out. I was just adding that tidbit in there supplmentally!
I am glad to know this. There seems to be two sides: one agrees the ripping causes stress, the other agrees it does not. I think this fits right up next to the humidity debate 😜

I prefer to destroy as less as i can, when possible. Its my preference. But it is definitely reassuring to know what stresses and what does not. Thank you for chiming in on this.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I am glad to know this. There seems to be two sides: one agrees the ripping causes stress, the other agrees it does not. I think this fits right up next to the humidity debate 😜

I prefer to destroy as less as i can, when possible. Its my preference. But it is definitely reassuring to know what stresses and what does not. Thank you for chiming in on this.
No problem! If you think about this from a natural perspective you would notice that in nature spiders deal with sometimes almost constant damage to webs and they rebuild it as if nothing was of concern, the evolved to be able to do so and dont have a small finite amount of silk at their disposal and then left without any to repair those dmaages.

I will also say that my Caribena versicolor and also other Aviculariinae too, stop webbing overtime in the area where the lid or door would damage the web, so it really has never crossed my mind to be concerned about it. They are quite resilient animals to begin with!

cold blood

Staff member
Its pretty valid: ripping web/top opening lid it is not an issue.
See, you did miss my point.....its pretty easy to open the top without destroying the web...web stays intact
I dont remember saying the enclosure was a problem/issue either
Nope, but top openers are often disparaged as "lesser" options, and that notion is just false....both openings are just fine, neither is better, its all just personal preference.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Nope, but top openers are often disparaged as "lesser" options, and that notion is just false....both openings are just fine, neither is better, its all just personal preference.
Precisely!

TheraMygalo

Arachnopeon
See, you did miss my point.....its pretty easy to open the top without destroying the web...web stays intact
i understand what you were trying to say now. I have some top opening lids on webbing and was able to open it without to much damage. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

I agree with you. It is not a lesser option. It definitely boils down to personal preference. Again, thanks for taking the time to explain what you meant.