Cat meows - Suggestions sought

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I don't think any rudeness was intended by anyone. At least I'm not taking it that way. In most of the third world how first world people abandon and neglect the elderly is considered absolutely barbaric. All over Asia there are numerous traditions where the elderly are venerated in celebrations. You don't see many villages in America where the young workers and their families go door to door and wash the feet of the elderly in a symbolic gesture of deep respect.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I don't think any rudeness was intended by anyone. At least I'm not taking it that way. In most of the third world how first world people abandon and neglect the elderly is considered absolutely barbaric. All over Asia there are numerous traditions where the elderly are venerated in celebrations. You don't see many villages in America where the young workers and their families go door to door and wash the feet of the elderly in a symbolic gesture of deep respect.
Hmmm, apparently PBL really knows how to read between the lines. I somehow offended the both of you with two simple sentences. My first, the old folks home comment, was apparently a slight at your entire country's culture which I apparently didn't even know about since the entire world is America, right? Hmm, not sure how she came to that but if you did too I will apologize TO YOU now. If that was the reason for the your poke at ALL of the first world's who have assisted living homes and long term health care facilities I understand. Otherwise I'm uncertain why you would generalize so. You are obviously a highly intelligent person. I can't help but be offended when you tell me that ALL FIRST WORLDER'S throw their elderly away. I have a 98 year old grandmother in one of these homes. She's alive because of these places. She's had 4 strokes and heart failure. Not poking fun, I swear, but in a third world country she would most likely be long dead.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 07:45 PM ----------

Rude?? The only one being rude here is YOU! You're assuming that everyone lives in the US, first of all, even though Snark has repeatedly stated that he lives in THAILAND, not to mention it says so in his profile. You were the one who made the snide comment about giving the cat to an "old folks home" because "they'd sleep right through her constant meowing", did you not? That's not only assuming that such a thing exists in Thailand, thus thumbing your nose at their culture which actually reveres the elderly and does not consider them disposable and inconvenient, AND assuming that all elderly people are deaf and do nothing but sleep all the time. Personally I thought that the Snark was very restrained in his response to that suggestion.

pitbulllady
I really hope you're a writer. You can take two sentences that were innocently written and turn them into a paragraph of hate, racism, narcissism and discrimination against an entire country I apparently didn't even know existed...

As a side note, I know where he lives, I know he's extremely intelligent and love 99% of his posts that I read. I've been reading them for years and even though I don't always agree I absolutely love the way he writes them. They're usually informative and very fun to read. I have made remarks (I don't care enough at all about spending any more time than I have to looking up links to show to some stranger to prove my point so take it or leave, I don't give two snarks) in other posts and to friends about how much I love his writing. I assumed he would get the sarcasm that you obviously missed in my "old folks home comment" and didn't think he would be offended.

I was offended by his comment that ALL FIRST WORLDER'S are obviously horrible people who don't care at all about the elderly. In fact, it was pretty discriminatory. Much more than either of my comments.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 07:48 PM ----------

Again, it's the grouping of ALL first world people into one category that I find offensive.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
It appears the cat is stuck in a hormonal cycle. It's efforts to mate thwarted, it is continuously thrashing about on the floor to advertise it, it's odor. This appears to be exacerbating a rather primitive nature and personality of the animal. It's thinking seems to be very limited. As example, it was in the attic of the porch and I placed a sturdy board at a gentle slope from there to the roof of the jeep to escape. The board didn't register in it's mind as an escape route and it remained stuck up there for several hours. Or, locked outside on the upstairs porch it couldn't go potty. It's litter box up there went ignored. When we let it in the house it ran to the place where the litter box usually sat to do it's business. This is not an animal that interacts with it's environment at all.

Njnolan1, I thank you. When I make a statement as you called me on that is all inclusive, I will make a special point to use the words 'without exception'. Otherwise, as in the above cited example, I was simply pointing out a cultural norm. Not to be taken personally by anyone who is an exception to the rule.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Either get it spayed/neutered,give it away,or learn to deal with it.Those are your only real options it appears.Might as well do one of them and ease your suffering.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Cats will come into and out of heat until they are spayed or bred. There is no certain amount of time from one heat to another. It's usually starts when the days start to get longer, and slows down toward fall.

The Snark

Old Timer
I need to accept the fact I'm not mercenary and callous, generally speaking. The cat reminds me of a certain young lady I had a fandango with. Call me a dog then call her a harpy or lamia. I discovered I'd rather be going out riding my horse on 50 mile jaunts rather than live up to her expectations. But let's be brutally honest. Her having a hysterectomy performed in order to curb her appetite is ridiculous. That fate is only reserved for the lower animals, right?
This goes against the grain of both my traditional native amerikan and buddhist mind sets.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In case this is a serious question and not just another "snark story time hour" :p

If your cat isn't fixed that is the problem, male cats will meow to go out to find females in heat, females will meow to advertise to males they are in heat. Cats will be restless, temperamental, and spray. Best thing to do is get the cat fixed, it's better for the cats health anyway. All that meowing would stop for the most part, and the cat will calm down.

Now if your cat is fixed, it might be boredom. My cats get at least 2 play sessions per day for about 15 minutes each, one in afternoon and one before bed. I buy catnip toys for them, I have the motion sensored toys that move when the cat walks by, and I have an 8 foot tall cat tower for them to climb and scratch and it has cubby holes to sleep in, its near a window so it doubles as a place to look out at the birds. I sprinkle dried catnip all over it and my cats love it. My cats also enjoy chasing a shoelace or playing with that cat feather wand, stalking and jumping on it wears them out! With the motion sensor toys and catnip toys and cat tower that keeps them busy. My cats are indoor/outdoor so I agree being out also lets them release energy and they stay in all night so that's when the toys help while I'm resting or asleep.

Third option is something is wrong with your cat. Is it appear in pain, do you have an elderly cat sometimes cats can suffer dementia and it causes strange behavior. What about diet, what are you feeding your cat and how much/often, mabye its hungry? Going to the vet and having your cat looked over can't hurt either.

That's my advice if you can better answer my questions it would be a help.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Question,

Cats heat is triggered by hormonal changes right? would there be no dietary item you could use to suppress the hormonal rise in the cat?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, if snark does live in Thailand you can spread the word of importance spay/neutering cats and about this cat rescue a friend runs in Thailand it would be a huge help! http://cats4youinpattaya.m.webs.com...3e2fba&fw_sig_social=1&fb_sig_network=fw#1010
Its not in his religious/ personal beliefs to spay or neuter I tend to agree, the cats health is good, it is meowing for the a-typical reasons, he's already established it, I think he wants an alternative to altering the cat physically.

ClosetCollector

Arachnosquire
I understand not wanting to physically alter the animal, however it is for their benefit as well as yours. Spayed cats are less likely to develop breast cancer and will not be at risk for ovarian or uterine cancer.In addition to the many health benefits, spaying or neutering your cat ensures that he or she won’t contribute to the feline overpopulation problem. Even a cat who lives indoors may escape and produce kittens if not sterilized. Each year, millions of homeless cats are euthanized or end up in shelters due to a lack of good homes.

Part of being a responsible pet owner is spaying or neutering your cat, lets face it do you plan on breeding the animal?? No, what if it gets out and comes home pregnant, do you want to be responsible for an entire litter of kittens?? You cat may be meowing of it is in heat or it may be meowing because it is vocal, either way you should ensure the longevity and health of your animal by spaying her.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its not in his religious/ personal beliefs to spay or neuter I tend to agree, the cats health is good, it is meowing for the a-typical reasons, he's already established it, I think he wants an alternative to altering the cat physically.
Ok but sharing info to other people about the rescue helps cats religion not involved

The Snark

Old Timer
Problem Solved - and the rest of the story

I quote my old posting here to bring some people who may not have read it up to speed and add some stuffing to the turkey afterwards.
The long time coming rat snake disaster

(In memory of my dear friend Phil and the amazingly dumb things we did together)

Phil mentioned to me his attic was full of rats. I suggested he get an (Asian) rat snake or two. As these are protected animals he had to toddle all the way down to Lampang to the illegal animal sales shops 100 km away where they will sell you tigers if you have to pocket change.
He returned and proudly showed me the bag which contained two large adult ratters. He opened the bag cautiously and we got a hint of things to come. One shot straight up and missed his face by maybe an inch, close to 5 feet in the air. (Not only can these little snorkers hurl themselves clean off the ground when expressing their opinions, I'm convinced they can fly.

So we retired to the upstairs bathroom which provided access to the attic and would also contain an escapee. When he got tagged a second time trying to get one out of the bag Phil just dumped them both on the floor. Chaos doesn't even begin to describe. They were both over 5 feet long and hot and irritated from a 100 km car ride. After a couple hundred revolutions of the bathroom I felt safest holding my arms in the air in order to provide less of a target. In reflection, a pair of wiser humanoids would have stuffed the sack in a freezer for a couple of weeks to slow those guys down.

Phil finally managed to catch one by the simple method of getting tagged then grabbing the tagger. He got it about 6 inches from it's head and it released then latched on to a finger like a bear trap. Sticking his hand in water (the toilet bowl) only got the snake pissed off and munch harder. I finally talked him into sticking his snaked hand into the dark attic access hole. A few seconds later it let go and was gone.

Immediately after that successful release I pointed out to Phil the other release was also accomplished as snake number 2 disappeared into the drain. Done! If only.

Please allow me to introduce the players in the second act.
Phils wife Ann. Puts on a reasonably good show of calm and sedate when company is present. Otherwise, hide the machetes and cleavers when Phil and I are into animal antics. H*llfire and Brimstone appears to be her favorite dessert.
Ann's mother. Where do you think Ann got her attitude from?
Ann's sister. College student. Sweetness and light personified. Never seems to come up to speed on anything. Charming, soft spoken and gentle.

One month later. Phil mentioned to me he made a minor mistake. He had bats in the attic. Had being the operating word. He had seen none after the two weeks post snake release. A minor oops on our part. On the bright side, the local rat population was rapidly disappearing. We sat on the porch chatting. A calm idyllic afternoon, or thereabouts. Phil was on edge as his in laws were visiting. Even the slightest mention of any kind of fauna was strictly taboo. Even his cockatoo was confined to it's cage when in laws invaded.

The scream was... I guess awesome would best describe. Really resonating, a high pitched modulated thing that lasted about 5 seconds that reminded me of the Federal Sign and Signal<TM> 'Dambuster' warning siren. It came from the guest bathroom and little sister therein. Neither Phil nor I moved. In our minds we both ran through our private lists of what we had done that would have caused it. Sis made an appearance in the living room not well clad in a very small towel. She is way on the far side of hysterics, half collapsing as she lets loose a second scream that rattles the windows.

Phil and I looked at each other. We arrived at the same conclusion at the same exact instant. Ann made an appearance, trying to calm her sister. I was quicker out of the gate by a few milliseconds and spoke before Phil could. "I'll get the snake." I then added with a gleeful grin and a glance at the two female homonids, "It's safer!"

Sure enough, ratter #2 had come up out of the drain. It was actually self preservation that I practiced Phil's method of catching the thing. I stooped, stepped on it's tail, let it tag me then grabbed it. A 'Dude, neither you nor I want to be in this house when Ann and mom get up a full head of steam and that's already happening' move on my part.

I made it down the stairs at a moderate gallop, made the hard right U-turn, and slipped on a throw rug. I clambered to my feet using the pool table to help me up. Mom is on the opposite side of the table staring at the thing in my left hand. Turning right I burn rubber, nearly going down again on that damned rug and blitzed for the door. I made it out and turned back to see if mom had cognized on what I was holding. Maybe wishful thinking, I thought I was fast enough to where she might not have... No follow up scream so cool.

I turn around to find myself face to face with sis. She had been so freaked she ran out the door. She took me in and focused on my left hand for a few millennium while I stood there stupefied. Another scream, much more painful than the snake bite then she spins and runs down the driveway and into the street. My brain locked up. When Ann finds out I sent her near naked sister ...

I hear Phil's voice behind me. "What happened?" I looked at him over my shoulder while holding up the snake and pointing in the direction of the road. Then our instincts took over. Phil is staring at the snake. I join him. It's a fabulous specimen, nearly 6 feet long, in the prime of life and perfect health. That was our first really good look at either of them. We got brain dead in our adoration just long enough for Ann to come out. Phil's brain scrambled madly for something and he announced 'We caught it!' I held up the snake for proof. Uhhh.... duhhh.... Ann screamed just like her sister and the door slams in our faces.
A few days ago Ann sort of cornered me. A little waxing nostalgic about Phil I went brain fart and asked Ann if she had any further rat problem. My brain fart went exponential when I asked her if Phil had ever explained about the snake(S). SnakeS? Like our cat eyeing a gecko she transfixed me and asked for an explanation. Apparently Phil was a far better BS artist than I ever gave him credit for and Ann was so freak about snakes that the full story never came out. So I told her of Phil buying the snakes... Ann was slowly coiling like a cobra... I was easily able to imagine she had a hood spread. I explained the fandango in the bathroom. Ann was speechless; think the kid in the car staring down a T Rex in Jurrasic Park 1, as she cognized that we had actually turned snakes loose in the house. Her expression slowly shifted to that of the T Rex when she realized I was responsible for her sisters near naked ultimately humiliating dash down the street. She then got up and stormed off in a fury down the street before she remembered we were at her restaurant.
Well, some deep breathing later with my wife helping her calm down she made a noble effort of trying to let things slide into the past.

24 hours later wifey relays that Ann can't sleep in the house now, no doubt visualizing a 50 foot bite happy rat snake is going to break through the ceiling and drop onto her bed. I knew better than to try to explain anything rational like the snake is long gone. Ann and rational do not get along at all well together.

Then I had one of my most brilliant ideas EVER! I went to her restaurant and amid profuse apologies I mentioned that we have a cat. A fully house broken self maintaining cat that is an unholy terror when it comes to hunting reptiles. Since Ann and reality don't get along well either, and since I didn't fill in the blanks about the cat being a semi pro gecko muncher but very unlikely to win hands down against a large rat snake, she was intrigued.

So yesterday morning, wasting no time, I packaged the cat and delivered it to Ann's house (lest she have second thoughts about packing the banshee home). Ann called that evening and expressed appreciation and even admiration for the well groomed fastidious feline and how it was patrolling every inch of the house, meowing away in what Ann had taken as hunting calls.

It didn't take long. Ann called again this morning. Yes the cat has caught geckos and continues to restlessly pace the length and breadth of the house. And yes, she feels more assured she is snake safer. And the cat seems to be quite content at it's new home. But what is with this constant incessant loud meowing?

Of course I hedged, dodged and prevaricated and I'm sure somewhere out in the ether Phil is laughing his arse off that I gave his wife a feline banshee. I just won't answer the phone for a few months and will add another filter to my email.

PS Assuming this is some hormonal cat thing, quite likely, and taking into account the vast size of Ann's house where she can escape from the noise behind several closed doors, I feel the Norns have taken a hand in this. What with the two gigantic cat hating Rottweilers and two Mastiffs having the run of the yard, the chances of a romantically inclined stray tom cat having a successful dalliance with the meowmonster are nil. Let Ann modify the little fiend if she wants.

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I quote my old posting here to bring some people who may not have read it up to speed and add some stuffing to the turkey afterwards.

A few days ago Ann sort of cornered me. A little waxing nostalgic about Phil I went brain fart and asked Ann if she had any further rat problem. My brain fart went exponential when I asked her if Phil had ever explained about the snake(S). SnakeS? Like our cat eyeing a gecko she transfixed me and asked for an explanation. Apparently Phil was a far better BS artist than I ever gave him credit for and Ann was so freak about snakes that the full story never came out. So I told her of Phil buying the snakes... Ann was slowly coiling like a cobra... I was easily able to imagine she had a hood spread. I explained the fandango in the bathroom. Ann was speechless; think the kid in the car staring down a T Rex in Jurrasic Park 1, as she cognized that we had actually turned snakes loose in the house. Her expression slowly shifted to that of the T Rex when she realized I was responsible for her sisters near naked ultimately humiliating dash down the street. She then got up and stormed off in a fury down the street before she remembered we were at her restaurant.
Well, some deep breathing later with my wife helping her calm down she made a noble effort of trying to let things slide into the past.

24 hours later wifey relays that Ann can't sleep in the house now, no doubt visualizing a 50 foot bite happy rat snake is going to break through the ceiling and drop onto her bed. I knew better than to try to explain anything rational like the snake is long gone. Ann and rational do not get along at all well together.

Then I had one of my most brilliant ideas EVER! I went to her restaurant and amid profuse apologies I mentioned that we have a cat. A fully house broken self maintaining cat that is an unholy terror when it comes to hunting reptiles. Since Ann and reality don't get along well either, and since I didn't fill in the blanks about the cat being a semi pro gecko muncher but very unlikely to win hands down against a large rat snake, she was intrigued.

So yesterday morning, wasting no time, I packaged the cat and delivered it to Ann's house (lest she have second thoughts about packing the banshee home). Ann called that evening and expressed appreciation and even admiration for the well groomed fastidious feline and how it was patrolling every inch of the house, meowing away in what Ann had taken as hunting calls.

It didn't take long. Ann called again this morning. Yes the cat has caught geckos and continues to restlessly pace the length and breadth of the house. And yes, she feels more assured she is snake safer. And the cat seems to be quite content at it's new home. But what is with this constant incessant loud meowing?

Of course I hedged, dodged and prevaricated and I'm sure somewhere out in the ether Phil is laughing his arse off that I gave his wife a feline banshee. I just won't answer the phone for a few months and will add another filter to my email.

PS Assuming this is some hormonal cat thing, quite likely, and taking into account the vast size of Ann's house where she can escape from the noise behind several closed doors, I feel the Norns have taken a hand in this. What with the two gigantic cat hating Rottweilers and two Mastiffs having the run of the yard, the chances of a romantically inclined stray tom cat having a successful dalliance with the meowmonster are nil. Let Ann modify the little fiend if she wants.
It has been a while since I read my last decent short story. This was a lot of fun to read :).

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
every time she does it, play a video of newborn kittens mewling really loud, and she'll shut up :D