Centruroides Thread

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ythier said:
But you have also a yellow limbatus, no ?
Yes I'm breeding to two, its just interesting that superficially they are nothing alike:
My breeding of C.limbatus again:

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brian S said:
These were labeled as C limbatus but they look more like gracilis to me. Any ideas?
Difficult to say (at least for me). If you could take a macro of the rows of granules on the fix finger...

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
Yes I'm breeding to two, its just interesting that superficially they are nothing alike:
My breeding of C.limbatus again:
Yes I remember this great, funny and very interesting pic :clap:
Please let us know the colour of the young !
Greetings,
Eric

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In the case the male is quite a bit bigger then the female, which seems to be unusual in Centruroides.

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
True...
Do you know if it's your male which is quite big, or your female which is quite little ?

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ythier said:
True...
Do you know if it's your male which is quite big, or your female which is quite little ?
:confused: I don't have other data on adults to compare against unfortunately

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

a short note according the C. "bicolor": I think it´s best to call them Centruroides cf margaritatus. As Eric said it´s the species which fits most. The first males of my specimens molted to maturity. With the females I´m not sure although they are already bigger than the males (at least the ones which molted as often as the males). The males made some mating attempts also when I put them together. But I don´t think one of the couples mated successfully because I didn´t find a spermatophore. The only evident difference to C. margaritatus is the fact that the males are having much more bulbous chelae than the females. Probabely the females will molt one more time and will develope bulbous chelae as well.

Greetings
Alex

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ythier, you must have a really good camera, your pictures always look really good.

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nazgul said:
Probabely the females will molt one more time and will develope bulbous chelae as well.
Greetings
Alex
I think, because usually the adult females margaritatus have quite big hands, no ? (at least compared to gracilis or others).
Btw Alex, what about your "C.sp.nigrimanus" ? :)
Thanks,
Eric

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
These are both the same female C.margaritatas. Not sure of the locale of origin. The red coloration in this colormorph was amazing.
John
];')
Ok I didn't see the photo before replying, so the females margaritatus have definitely quite big hands ! :rolleyes:

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
SpaceHawk said:
Ythier, you must have a really good camera, your pictures always look really good.
Thanks, but if you talk about the two macro pics (I think, because I don't think my other pics are good on this thread), I took them with a steromicroscope, not with my camera.
Greetings,
Eric

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Still, all the pics I have seen of yours are very good. I need a new camera so I can take some pictures that are not blurry or too dark. My camera really stinks. :wall:

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have found a site with info on the endemic to Costa Rica Centruroides spp.

The site is in Spanish so is anyone can speak Spanish, and has the time, can translate the taxonomic descriptions for us.

Here is the link:
http://darnis.inbio.ac.cr/ubis/FMPro?

The info in there is by Carlos Viquez.

smalltime

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can also take his book Costa Rica Scorpions and read it there...same thing AND translated... :D

smalltime

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is surprisingly enough not very informative...no pectine, granule or whatever counts, mostly descriptions of colors, size, terra typica and locality. Nice pictures (most are on Scorpion Files though...) and a few local myths on scorpions.

BTW Eric, you can still visit your library.... :D

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are some photos of an un-ID centruroides sp. from Honduras.
Any ideas?

I have the same photos in bigger format with more details in case that might help.
First there are 4 photos of a speciment that molted before 2 days.

By the way this one had it's aculeus broken and surpisingly I noticed that it's regenerating!! After the last molt he has a new one but noticably smaller than the original one, but it's a good start.

Last edited:

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Next 4 more photos of a speciment that molted about 10 days earlier than the previous one in order for you to see the change in coloration.

And last one photo of the exoskeletons side by side.
Any ideas?

Michael

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Vardoulas

I think Centruroides margaritatus, no?

Last edited: