Concrete's Pic Thread

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Mirza, you're very kind!

I notice by the catchlights in the eyes that the head of the beauty dish seems to be up a ways ... see what happens if you get it as low as you can over the camera. Just a thought, I still think it's a great improvement in the photographic effect you're getting. ;)

p.s. Some of the softening effect in my photos is done during processing.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
WOW, those are gorgeous Concrete, holy crap! So true on gear. I know of a guy, he made these fine art, print quality landscape photographs with a pinhole camera.

Cargorabbit

Arachnopeon
These are absolutely so beautiful, I can't help but stare at each photo's details. I really should invest in a macro lens for my camera because dang, these are so cool!!

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really beautiful Mirza ... I especially like the second one with those spinnerets just poking up from behind the outcropping! :biggrin:

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All you macro lens people make me very envious... ;)

Very beautiful pictures.

concrete

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys :)

Michael it's interesting how that Pumpkin Patch set was very deliberate and detailed and Tapi set was more of a quick freehand action photo shoot, yet it still came out better looking. I let the spider wander around and I just snapped away, not worrying about stacking or getting the lighting perfect. With Pumpkin Patch I made sure that the light was positioned well, I used tripod and rail and stacked up to 100 individual shots. I guess sometimes spontaneity works better! On the plus side I think this time I came closer to having that soft, neutral light and I'm really starting to like that studio strobe :)

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know what you mean ... except of course when stacking I always try to get action shots. It's easy with slings, which are almost constantly on the move, but lots of times with adults I have to keep nudging them so they'll walk around. I don't typically like shots when the spider is just sitting there, but with stacking there's no choice! lol And you're right about the lighting too, when it happens to hit the spider from a really oblique angle you get some really nice surprises! That's not a common situation with the beauty dish so I don't always use it, I still use my speedlight if I want to get more backlighting, such as in my latest post.

I got a tiny Hapalopus sp. "Colombia large" sling at our local tarantula party on Saturday night ... but I gave up trying to stack it, the little guy's never content to stay in one place for more than a few seconds! :)

concrete

Arachnosquire
Thanks Jan! Merry Christmas to you too bud and I hope this new year is a better one for you.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dude these are seriously great!!! I'm glad you shot this age range of the Blue Fang. The shows have answered some of my questions around their bright orange banding..Really nice!! Esp on the blue!

concrete

Arachnosquire
Dude these are seriously great!!! I'm glad you shot this age range of the Blue Fang. The shows have answered some of my questions around their bright orange banding..Really nice!! Esp on the blue!
Thanks man I appreciate it :) It's nice shooting colorful spiders like this, it makes it easy to get decent pictures but bulk of the work is spent in stacking and editing. I don't know how you manage to pull of nice shots on film. Here's a little behind the scenes look: first shot is one slice of unprocessed image, while second shot is the finished product.

First unprocessed slice of V2 Tweaked by Delibegovic, on Flickr

V2 tweaked by Delibegovic, on Flickr

Last edited:

Disquiet

Arachnosquire
Thanks man I appreciate it :) It's nice shooting colorful spiders like this, it makes it easy to get decent pictures but bulk of the work is spent in stacking and editing. I don't know how you manage to pull of nice shots on film. Here's a little behind the scenes look: first shot is one slice of unprocessed image, while second shot is the finished product.

First unprocessed slice of V2 Tweaked by Delibegovic, on Flickr

V2 tweaked by Delibegovic, on Flickr
Wow that must be a LOT of work! I can barely handle editing a YouTube video together!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
our local tarantula party on Saturday night ... :)
Man, I live in the wrong neighborhood..That party sounds fun!

Thanks man I appreciate it :) It's nice shooting colorful spiders like this, it makes it easy to get decent pictures but bulk of the work is spent in stacking and editing. I don't know how you manage to pull of nice shots on film. Here's a little behind the scenes look: first shot is one slice of unprocessed image, while second shot is
Ah thanks for the unfinished product, I like to see that. How many images were in the final image? Oh man, with film, it's just patience and lots of practice. Sometimes though, I THINK I shot some good frames, and I'm really picky, and it turns out crappy. Conversely, I have a gorgeous photograph I composed in a few seconds of the turbines in series inside Hoover Dam. I need to enlarge it and frame it.

I just finished shooting a roll of Ilford Black and White this weekend. My first roll of film to have urban street scenes. I have 2 frames in particular on there that I HOPE look as good in print as they did when I shot them. I was shooting down an entire side st near a beach. So cars and people are always crossing it. It took me about 45 mins for each shot to shoot it when no one, or car was in frame. If they don't come out I'll be HUGELY disappointed because I want to blow them up and frame them.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey, fantastic images Mirza!! :biggrin:

And it looks like the strobe is paying off, your lighting is just beautiful on these, great job! :)

concrete

Arachnosquire
Hey, fantastic images Mirza!! :biggrin:

And it looks like the strobe is paying off, your lighting is just beautiful on these, great job! :)
Thanks Michael!

These guys were too active to get much stacking done so I went freehand again and I'm good with how it turned out. I love that friggin strobe absolutely awesome piece of equipment.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great, so happy that you like it. :)

It's nice to get a break from stacking sometimes isn't it! Haha! These are wonderful images, there's just no need to go to all that work for larger spiders IMO ... though I tend to use it only for high-mag work I've enjoyed getting into deep stacking enormously, and I owe you a huge THANK YOU for showing me that it's possible with live subjects!!!

:worship: