Could my adult spider have completely decomposed?

RachBailey

Arachnopeon
I just got back from studying abroad and I cannot find my Pinktoe anywhere in his tank. My sister was supposed to take care of him and I don't think he got out. He was a full adult. Could he have completely decomposed if he'd died? All his plants were dead, the light had burnt out. The humidity in the tank is pretty high though.

cold blood

Staff member
I wouldn't think the exoskeleton would break down very quickly, but given enough time, I'm sure its possible. I'd expect to at least be able to find remnants. How long were you gone? Was it a semester or for years? Sounds like you were gone a long while.

Also sounds like you left someone in charge of it that had zero clue. They couldn't even change the light or keep the plants alive, and my 4 year old nephew could manage that (the live plants with his toads are doing well). If they couldn't accomplish those simple tasks, who knows about the t. If you're not noticing the plants dying, chances are they weren't even looking at it with any regularity.

Was it fed? When was it fed last? When was the t last seen by the individual watching it? Was your sis even aware there was a problem. What was her reaction to the situation when you got home? How old is your sister? Top coulda easily been left open or ajar at any point. Could it have died and your sister is too worried to tell you? My guess is that the top was left open at some point, the t disappeared and the tank was subsequently ignored or it died and she's too worried you will be mad at her. How else would the entire set up end up in such shambles?

Where's Matlock when you need him?

RachBailey

Arachnopeon
I was only gone for 6 months. She said she'd fed him a month ago, but obviously didn't check in after that. I'm guessing she hasn't fed him for more like 2 months. I'm not sure how long it'd take three plants to be almost gone. I should have left him with a more reliable friend. I feel so bad. I hope he isn't dead, but I also hope he isn't lurking under my bed or behind the dresser. I'll have to start looking. No idea when or if he could have gotten out. Could he dry up outside of his tank?

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got back from studying abroad and I cannot find my Pinktoe anywhere in his tank. My sister was supposed to take care of him and I don't think he got out. He was a full adult. Could he have completely decomposed if he'd died? All his plants were dead, the light had burnt out. The humidity in the tank is pretty high though.
Im pretty sure it just got out and your sister didn't tell you, it would smell pretty bad if it had decomposed.

RachBailey

Arachnopeon
Great. Ok. So a month or two, it could be out. I'll keep the cat out of my room and do a thorough search.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Great. Ok. So a month or two, it could be out. I'll keep the cat out of my room and do a thorough search.
Probably the best place to start. Dark places and hides. Maybe also question your sister why she agreed to take care of it and you are in this situation.

awiec

Arachnoprince
You can leave out a little water bowl and perhaps towels or paper towel tubes. Avics like to hide but still like some air flow, so maybe behind a book shelf or a closet. I'd suggest that you make your sister be honest with you as no one whats to be bitten by a scared T, so if he has died and she disposed of him than you need to know.

RachBailey

Arachnopeon
Good idea. I'll put his log out and some water. Maybe some crickets in a bucket or something. Thanks. I'm dealing with my sister too.

cold blood

Staff member
Being an avic, if it did get out, and by chance is still alive, its probably not wandering. Its probably located a new home and will have a tube of webbing with it wherever it is...if its alive. Check higher corners, clothes hanging in closets or around the room, they tend to prefer to be higher up and typically don't spend too much time at ground level.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If he was a mature male, and you've been gone for 6 months, it's entirely within the realm of possibility that he died of old age prior to your return. If your sister is ignorant of things like that, she may think she killed him and is hiding it from you.

If I've misread you and it's not a mature male, then the others have given good suggestions as to where to begin searching. If it were a terrestrial T, i'd suggest sifting the substrate, just to be sure. I returned from my last semester of college once to find a completely barren and, apparently, empty tank where once had been a P. chordatus and a water dish. I was given multiple assurances that the spider had not escaped nor died, so I sifted through the peat and wouldn't you know it, just chilling out under about 2 inches of peat is the T and a very dry shed exo.