Curly Haired tarantula keeps chewing on mesh?

Fluffythegoof

Arachnopeon
I've had Fluffy since last October, and they've been eating and drinking well, but recently they've gotten more active and started climbing up to chew on the mesh. I've not made any changes in the enclosure, is there a reason Fluffy could be doing this?

cold blood

Staff member
you need to make the appropriate changes....mesh isnt appropriate. Ts can chew through it or even break off fangs in it...tarsal claws can get stuck in it causing lost limbs and dangerous falls.

Go get a piece of plexi or acrylic cup for the top and drill out some ventilation.

Fluffythegoof

Arachnopeon
you need to make the appropriate changes....mesh isnt appropriate. Ts can chew through it or even break off fangs in it...tarsal claws can get stuck in it causing lost limbs and dangerous falls.

Go get a piece of plexi or acrylic cup for the top and drill out some ventilation.
I'm already looking into doing that, but my main concern is why my T is doing this.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
But is this a stress behavior or just a T thing?
Honestly it could be either. The most likely is it has found a way out and is trying yo take advantage. If you rehoused it recently it could have just been exploring its surroundings and after testing the mesh with its fangs felt it give so just kept at it.

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
You should see my curly hair. She spends her days climbing the parameters sticking her legs out and testing the ceiling with her fangs.

She's eased up a bit, but still climbs around all day. Her ceiling is 3d printed plastic tho, so I'm not worried about anything getting stuck.
She is the wildest thing 😂

gzophia

Arachnoknight
pretty much all animals that aren't trained and bonded, like a dog, will try to escape any restricted area.
This exactly.
You should see my curly hair. She spends her days climbing the parameters sticking her legs out and testing the ceiling with her fangs.

She's eased up a bit, but still climbs around all day. Her ceiling is 3d printed plastic tho, so I'm not worried about anything getting stuck.
Haha, mine is the exact opposite! She spent days digging, webbing, and hairing up her enclosure and hide before calling it quits. Now she spends all day and all night sitting on top of her hide-- she only leaves to toss boluses in her water dish :rolleyes::rofl:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Proof of escape attempt here ! 😇