Cute habits ??

Mindibun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh my goodness, all of you need to share this stuff with the world - THIS is what humans need to be able to accept spiders !! -lol- I have several to add myself:

1. Amblypigi- anything in this family will act the same and that's why they're my favorites. They use their antennaeform front legs like a blind man's cane to explore and feel around. If I do any cage maintenance, they're right there, trying to figure out what I'm doing. Here's a photo of one giving me a "high five" through his air holes while I worked nearby:

2. Any time an invert does those weird stretches after a molt:

A versicolor:

GBB in downward dog:

3. When you go into a T's enclosure and try to move them, but they don't run away or really do anything other than feel around on the object you're using to try to move them. I have a male chaco that will feel around on the brush I use to move them and will get on my hand, do whatever I ask of him - but only up to a point. When he's had enough, he'll slap the ground with his front legs to let me know and I'll back off. I think it's great that he can communicate with me this way. (Don't have a picture of it though, sorry).

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My lazy girl angry, sitting around on her butt ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410885764.662102.jpg

--J.Haas

purevl

Arachnopeon
I have an A. purpurea sling that doesn't seem to know it's arboreal. I got the little thing back in July & gave it a nice home...height to climb in, cork bark to chill on, lots of leaves to anchor webbing to...but it hasn't done any webbing & spends a lot of its time on the ground. He hunts no problems & goes exploring the top of his enclosure sometimes but 9 times out of 10 when I check on my spiders, he's chilling on the floor.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Let's see... (A few of these of these have already been said here.)

1. A versi who only eats if I tong feed her.
2. The terrestrials standing on their toes to eat. We call it a tabletopped spider. As in, "Miss Lydia is tabletopped!"
3. The famous happy-dance before becoming tabletopped.
4. T. ockerti performing a trapeze artist routine on the tank decorations in order to catch her crickets.
5. B. smithi juvie doing football tackles to catch her crickets. She can't seem to do it in any other way. Always a running tackle.
6. OBT popping up out of the web and disappearing like a creature from Tremors to catch food.
7. All of them doing the butt-scratch while cleaning.

And that's just off the top of my head. :)

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
My smaller L.P. would always run into her half log when I opened up for maintenance. Then about a minute into whatever I was doing she'd poke just her little front end of her carapace and first two legs out and check out what I was doing. It was unnerving at first but cuter after I realized she was just curious into what I was up to....

Later she built a wall between that hide and myself with a window for her to see me but I can't see her.... I believe she's in pre molt.
LMAO my 1" LD sling Hellebore did this when it was smaller. Since its last molt it's gotten a lot faster, bolder and meaner though. :p It's new favorite thing is attacking the water-dropper I use to refill its water dish.

And this other one isn't so much a habit as a trait that I find adorable...the big foot pads on arboreals, particularly the asian species. They look like they're wearing tap shoes. :love:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LMAO my 1" LD sling Hellebore did this when it was smaller. Since its last molt it's gotten a lot faster, bolder and meaner though. :p It's new favorite thing is attacking the water-dropper I use to refill its water dish.

And this other one isn't so much a habit as a trait that I find adorable...the big foot pads on arboreals, particularly the asian species. They look like they're wearing tap shoes. :love:
I like to say that my aboreals look like they are sporting uggs lol

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My A. chalcodes likes to climb its cage and rip at the screen lid with its fangs. It's most likely wild caught so it may be trying to return home, which makes this habit slightly sad :(

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
It's enough to see mine grooming. BUT I did give my first roses a horse figurine and she will occasionally "ride" it

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 09:47 AM ----------

Mine just follow me
Do yours give you big happy kisses too?

Saark

Arachnosquire
I have a B. smithi with a couple little plastic plants in her tank and no matter where I put them, she carries them to her water dish and puts them in it. It's quite cute :)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Water dish trapdoor

My emerald skeleton using his water dish as a trapdoor... No matter where I out it, it always ends up back here lol

Crap pic tho

Attachments

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
my MM G. porteri has been a busy little tarantula over the past couple of days. First he dug a deep hole against the front of his tank, the hole looks like a pit really, it's about 2 or three inches deep at it's deepest point. He carefully carried any dirt clumps out of the hole and got it all scooped out and then gathered up all of the web he had down on the bottom of his tank. His doormat and some of the web I had put in there of my MF's cage and he kind of gathered it all up and put it in the hole. Then he busied himself digging a crater about 2 times the size of the one against the front of the tank and has been building what can only be described as bunker walls almost all the way around it in the center of his hide. His hide is a half log from the reptile section of the LPS.. I'd like to know what it is he is doing, I hope he keeps up his engineering efforts, it's very entertaining. lol