• Other.

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
jbrd said:
I can't see them yet, i have to wait for him to move a little first.
Is this an uncommon thing for mature males?
It's very uncommon. Since they really serve no further purpose other than mating, mature males usually die before going through a post-ultimate molt. Those that do attempt a post-ultimate molt frequently have trouble removing their palps and I've heard reports of several dying in the process.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
becca81 said:
It's very uncommon. Since they really serve no further purpose other than mating, mature males usually die before going through a post-ultimate molt. Those that do attempt a post-ultimate molt frequently have trouble removing their palps and I've heard reports of several dying in the process.
I think your right, i can not see the pedipalp leg at all, could it be under him? I was so happy he was gonna be around loger too. :8o

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
jbrd said:
I think your right, i can not see the pedipalp leg at all, could it be under him? I was so happy he was gonna be around loger too. :8o
The bulbs will not extract themselves from the old exuvia. At best you get a male minus the "nads", usually the whole palps go as well.

And that said, a successful post-ultimate moult is extremely rare no matter what as most males just die without even making the attempt.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
The bulbs will not extract themselves from the old exuvia. At best you get a male minus the "nads", usually the whole palps go as well.

And that said, a successful post-ultimate moult is extremely rare no matter what as most males just die without even making the attempt.
When we had found him in his death curl it freaked us out and started reading more on it. If this is credible or not i don't know? But we read if you rehydrated him it might revive him? So we misted him lightly with a water bottle and an hour later he was up and movin around like he has always done.
Ever heard of anyone else with this kind of experience?
Upon closer inspection his "nads" are comepletly gone. How long can i expect him to live now?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here's Pronty's - who even got to keep his bulbs. ;)

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=45868&highlight=post+ultimate

Of course - this is extremely rare - even more than just a post-ultimate molt I guess.

As for life expectancy, you may have your male still for some time. He may look a little strange, but they can live for a good while after the molt (although some do die shortly after).

Last edited:

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the link becca, interesting thread.
His A. metallica male looks exactly like our A.avic?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
jbrd said:
His A. metallica male looks exactly like our A.avic?
Don't go there ;P

If anyone ever sorts out Avicularia taxonomy to the satisfaction of everyone I think we will have achieved world peace in the meantime.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
Don't go there ;P

If anyone ever sorts out Avicularia taxonomy to the satisfaction of everyone I think we will have achieved world peace in the meantime.
lol ok, I wont go there. thanks for all the info code monkey and becca i really appreciate it.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well he finally ate a cric tonight, i was so amazed that you would think i never seen a T eat a cric before lol
Just thought i would do an up date.

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
or you could feed it to your blondi, if it is infact dying and beyond recovery

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you all think it would be for the best to put him into a 5.5 gallon at this point? All he does is sit on his web bed on the bottom of his enclosure. Sure would be easier than trying to fish crics out of his tall enclosure at this point.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'd leave him be till he's hardened up. It would be a real bummer to have him survive his post ultimate molt, only to be moved too soon! Once that happens, I say put him wherever you want, if the 5.5 gallon makes it easier on him.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
post ultimate molt

Thought i would do an update on the A.avic.
Started eating again, a large cric every five to seven days and a few hammocks for him to lay in. Moves around at nite like he use too.
How much longer do you think he will live?

Last edited: