Dehydrated Costa Rican Zebra

Mdougherty740

Arachnopeon
Hey y’all! Just made an account here so hopefully I’m doing this right. My T Penny just got new substrate a week ago and has seemed happier. Made a new burrow and was visiting the water as needed. I rehoused her because she kicked off all her hairs and I figured she was unhappy with the substrate as I used to be too scared to clean it as needed. I called the T store I got her from and they said to move her into shallow water and I did but she ran out of her curl past the water into the corner so I just put the water next to her. I’m just worried she won’t get into it but I don’t feel taking her out and putting her into a wet cup is best either. I love her so much but I definitely am still learning so any advice is appreciated I really don’t want to stress her out!! Her enclosure was so defect this morning I just moved the hutch and the flowers and stuff trying to get her into the shallow water.

Attachments

Mdougherty740

Arachnopeon
Looks fine. Leave it alone to settle in
Thank you!! I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right. I’m leaving her alone now at least for a day. May try to see if she will eat some meal worms tomorrow as she missed her feeding last week

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Thank you!! I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right. I’m leaving her alone now at least for a day. May try to see if she will eat some meal worms tomorrow as she missed her feeding last week
No, leave her for at least week. AT LEAST.

A specimen that size isn't going to suffer not eating for at least a couple of months.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Agreed^^. That T isn't dehydrated and definitely isn't starving! Also, a little research about why new world T's lose the hair on their abdomens would have saved you the trouble of changing out substrate - many of them kick their hairs off around their enclosure/burrow as a passive defense mechanism, not as an indication that they're stressed. You took that work she'd done to settle in and undid it, lol. As long as you keep the water dish full, she'll drink when needed, otherwise leave her be.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I like dishes that are flush with the sub for terrestrials

If they bump into something taller than them etc I’ve always felt that was a minus to them discovering water at times. I like to maximize the probability they will find it

Mdougherty740

Arachnopeon
No, leave her for at least week. AT LEAST.

A specimen that size isn't going to suffer not eating for at least a couple of months.
Do you think it will be okay to move her water back flush with the substrate? And move her hutch back into place. I can just leave her be but that way she can go back to the burrow she made. I’ll definitely skip a feeding

Agreed^^. That T isn't dehydrated and definitely isn't starving! Also, a little research about why new world T's lose the hair on their abdomens would have saved you the trouble of changing out substrate - many of them kick their hairs off around their enclosure/burrow as a passive defense mechanism, not as an indication that they're stressed. You took that work she'd done to settle in and undid it, lol. As long as you keep the water dish full, she'll drink when needed, otherwise leave her be.
I suppose I looked at misinformation because I read that If they had a large bald spit it was an indication of stress! Her substrate hadn’t been cleaned in a long time so the lady at the T store said we could try fresh substrate. I called back today and they said it may be too dry so I think it just stressed her out and I mistoke it for dehydration!! Thanks for all this info! Do you recommend I leave her be or do you think I can move her stuff back into place since it’s not dehydration?

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Do you think it will be okay to move her water back flush with the substrate? And move her hutch back into place. I can just leave her be but that way she can go back to the burrow she made. I’ll definitely skip a feeding
You should just start leaving it alone
Constant disturbance, it will never settle in.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I suppose I looked at misinformation because I read that If they had a large bald spit it was an indication of stress! Her substrate hadn’t been cleaned in a long time so the lady at the T store said we could try fresh substrate. I called back today and they said it may be too dry so I think it just stressed her out and I mistoke it for dehydration!! Thanks for all this info! Do you recommend I leave her be or do you think I can move her stuff back into place since it’s not dehydration?
If you haven't yet, just take the time now to get her enclosure set up completely - better to do it all now than to mess around in the enclosure every few days. Then give her time to settle back in. It could take days or weeks, but you just have to be patient! 👍

Mdougherty740

Arachnopeon
If you haven't yet, just take the time now to get her enclosure set up completely - better to do it all now than to mess around in the enclosure every few days. Then give her time to settle back in. It could take days or weeks, but you just have to be patient! 👍
Yes I moved everything back into place and I’m just going to leave her be until her feeding next week! Thanks so much for the help! She says thanks too! I’m really glad I joined this forum y’all have a lot of info!

cold blood

Staff member
set up is wrong IMO...this is a moisture dependent and fossorial species. It should be kept with deep, damp substrate....and this species is notorious for taking a very long time to acclimate to a new home....you will know when it has acclimated when it starts digging a burrow.

On a side note...never take tarantula advice from a pet store.