Directly Misting The Tarantula

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You have a lot to learn. There are many, many things wrong with Stan's husbandry advice for many species. Not to mention all the other issues with the book that he likes to present as fact and are in reality his opinion.

This quote is absolutely ridiculous. Common sense should tell you, you need to research the place the species you are keeping is from and mimic the seasons, temperatures and humidity for the spider to thrive. How does keeping a Brazilian rainforest species the same as a species from the Sonoran Desert sound OK to you? That is surviving(not thriving) and borderline abuse. Keep researching and welcome to the boards. :)
A personal welcome from a moderator? Well thank you. :] If it wasn't an absolute pleasure before, it is now. I plan on doing lots of reading and research. It's such a fascinating hobby. It wouldn't be nearly as interesting if there weren't so many firsts to experience and a plethora of new information to be learned.

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
Did you ever consider maybe they're burrowing because the environment you're creating for them on the surface is unfavorable?

And just because your techniques aren't what is typically taught doesn't mean it's new. I'm sure you're not the first person to directly spray their t. But in these decades the hobby has been around, the techniques were narrowed down into a few things that work the best. That's why they're commonly in practice. Yes there are always variations, and there is no "right" way to keep a tarantula.

There are several wrong ways however.

A little wary that your reasoning behind trying something "new" by direct spraying your tarantulas is because "Ts can handle so much shit". Because they aren't made of glass it's okay to test their boundaries? For what purpose? Your own curiosity? To tell everyone spraying their tarantulas won't kill them, but it also doesn't do anything beneficial either? Flawless thesis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IME there are few animals that enjoy being directly sprayed by a mister. The guy who sold me my P. imperator's said they like it and will raise their claws up at it. I have seen this but I have also seen them flee. I like what you said Miss Moxie, makes sense. It's definitely a better idea to work in the best possible interest of your pet instead of satisfying your own curiosity. Stress is no small thing, that I can vouch for having kept herps and creepy-crawlers all my life, including many wild-caught ones which are especially vulnerable to stress.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
In my humble opinion, I doubt that a tarantula gets truly stressed when it gets wet. I would imagine it's not much more than an annoyance if anything. They may avoid it simply because the ones that didn't drowned when too much of it fell. It just seems to me that an animal that is subjected to rain as a natural consequence of living outside wouldn't be able to survive for long if it got stressed every time it got caught in a shower, especially considering how easy it seems to be for stress to kill them. For more arid species, it might actually have a devastating effect since rain is such a rare occurrence in the desert. I've never done the research so all of this is just conjecture and my opinion is worth exactly what you pay for it. I don't think misting will be the make or break decision when it comes to keeping a tarantula though. I just think it would be personal choice. I choose not to simply because they seem to do just fine without it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Has heard Advan's rainforest species' collection is actually kept in Pretzel containers in Brazilian rainforests to provide them the ultimate in captive living! ;)

---------- Post added 09-19-2014 at 07:51 PM ----------

It just seems to me that an animal that is subjected to rain as a natural consequence of living outside wouldn't be able to survive for long if it got stressed every time it got caught in a shower, especially considering how easy it seems to be for stress to kill them..
Dude I couldn't agree more! I heard flying fish hate the water too! ;)

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
I might be missing something here, but wouldn't the tarantula's response to misting be a great indicator on whether or not you should continue doing it? I have accidentally gotten water on a tarantula or two while filling water dishes and they didn't like it. Indicators of this would be kicking hairs or a leg lifting to kick hairs, or maybe a threat posture right?

OP what do your spiders do when you spray them? Surely some of them respond to getting wet in a negative manner.

I personally don't mist, all of mine have bowls except one little sling. The reason I don't mist is 1- it would be a pain to spray water in enclosures compared to filling a bowl on occasion and 2- mine have reacted in a negative manner to getting wet. I like to make sure all of the animals in my house always have access to water.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I might be missing something here, but wouldn't the tarantula's response to misting be a great indicator on whether or not you should continue doing it? I have accidentally gotten water on a tarantula or two while filling water dishes and they didn't like it. Indicators of this would be kicking hairs or a leg lifting to kick hairs, or maybe a threat posture right?

OP what do your spiders do when you spray them? Surely some of them respond to getting wet in a negative manner.
I have spiders that react this way any time I need to open the enclosure for whatever reason. Does this mean I need to stop opening the enclosure to feed, water and spot clean?

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
Not at all, but you can't really avoid that. All I'm saying is that could be an indicator that maybe the op should change their methods if that happens. I have no way of proving that my spiders with their water bowls are better off than the ops. I just mentioned it since nobody else did, something to add to the discussion. This whole thread is all opinion since there doesn't seem to be any real concrete data available right? :)

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
On reputable sites, they just tell us not to do it. No explanation why. Induced stress, sure. I was sure to get hate bc not misting tarantulas was the norm. I want to know why it's the norm. Give me better reasons aside from it's not the right thing to do.

Enclosures are 4 inch in diameter and 7 inches in height. My Ts burrow all the time. Vagans, darlingi, pulchripes, albopilosum. I chose to give them height bc I want to see the intricate tunnels.

Before, i would give them lots of surface area but they don't do anything. So I cramped them up to see some activity. An it worked.

I've done so much research and I chose to do my own things. The norm is giving tarantulas so much space but they also molt in tight spaces. I had a 1 inch pulchripes in a 6 x 6 x 6 container half filled with coco peat and it still decided to molt in its brrow

I wanted to experiment and so far, i've grown my .2 inch slings to 3 inches. I like tunnels and I hate artificial hides. They said the tarantulas wouldn't grow well and die but Ts can handle so much shit so I tried somethin new.
Alright, I'll bite. I'm sure I'll regret this, because I've learned to ignore people like you, but here goes:

First, you say on "reputable" sites they tell you not to do it. By using the word "reputable" you are implying that you trust their judgment and their advice, yet you've chosen not to follow it. Why? Are you a rebel? Fight the power, man.

Second, you're asking why you shouldn't, and without any concrete reason you're saying that you can continue to do so simply because you have no reason not to. That's ridiculous. "You can't tell me why I shouldn't, therefore I will" is no more an argument for the practice than "it's bad" is against it.

Third, your assertions that keeping a tarantula in an enclosure barely larger than its leg span is okay because they burrow are ridiculous. Even the fossorial species you listed, like C darlingi need more room than you're giving them. I have a few juvenile C darlingis that are approximately an inch, maybe an inch and a half in legspan. They are in enclosures that measure about 5 inches by 5 inches with around 5 inches of substrate (the enclosures are about 6 inches tall). Even at their size, they use the entire space to have an intricate web of tunnels. Even ignoring the fact that many of the species you listed (G pulchripes for instance) do not generally burrow heavily, you're inhibiting their natural behavior and forcing them to adapt to substandard conditions. Your piss poor husbandry is evidence that your practice of "directly misting" your tarantulas is coming from an uneducated, obstinate, and/or stupid place. Stop what you're doing and reexamine yourself immediately. If you're capable of learning, you'll see how bad you've been doing and adjust your practice. You won't, because I can already tell you're not receptive to advice and feedback that you asked for and chose to ignore.

On to the meat of this topic: why is directly misting your tarantula bad? If it doesn't kill the spider, how can it be a mortal sin? I'm honestly not even sure where to begin with this. If you had a dog, would your first instinct be to blast it in the face with an air hose because that's not the "norm?" So far, the only reason you've given for your insistence on spraying your tarantulas is that "most people don't, so I want to." What kind of reasoning is that? Most gun owners don't intentionally shoot themselves in the genitals, does that mean they should to see what all the fuss is about? I really fail to see your logic. Are you simply trying to rile us up? Are you stupid? Are you really just very uneducated and legitimately seeking advice? I don't know. I sincerely doubt it's option three, as at this point in the thread you're still rebelling against all evidence.

So, because I don't think you'll accept it in any format other than an easily digestible list that any kindergartner could grasp, misting is bad because:

1) As you mentioned, it causes undue stress on your pet. This is bad for a few reasons: a) it's your responsibility as a pet owner to care for your pet. If you are intentionally antagonizing it as an "experiment" you are a bad pet owner and should seek a better home for your animals immediately. b) while stress may not be immediately fatal, it can lead to defensive behavior that results in a lack of feeding. If you need evidence of this, the next time you feed one of your tarantulas, start tapping on the enclosure walls, maybe prod the spider with a paint brush's bristles. It will immediately drop and ignore its food in favor of survival behavior. Spraying a spider makes it feel like it's in a rain storm. If you continually stress it out, it won't eat, because it will be on its guard. It's the same reason why a tarantula in a bad enclosure with the wrong environmental conditions will refuse food. Stop being obstinate. Treat your pet with respect and care. It's your responsibility.

2) Your tarantula does not drink with its face, its abdomen, the back of its legs, or the top of its carapace. Your tarantula's mouth is located on the ventral side of its body. If you mist it directly, it simply cannot access the water that you are giving it. You are agitating your pet with literally no benefit whatsoever. If the tarantula absolutely was dehydrating, not eating, and needed some water immediately and its mouth was on its head, you'd have a brilliant idea. Since you claim your spiders are in good health (despite your terrible skills when it comes to caring for them, not because of them) we can assume they aren't in drastic need of water. ANd since they can't drink from the top of their carapace we know that even if they did need the water, your method wouldn't work.

3) There has been mention of the fact that if rain killed tarantulas, they wouldn't have survived for millions of years virtually unchanged. This is true; however, a tarantula's natural instinct when rained on is to seek shelter. When you directly spray your tarantulas you are prompting them to seek shelter, but because of your terrible enclosures they are unable to do so. Even if they were, since you insist on spraying them directly, they would not be able to fulfill their instinctual need to escape the "rainfall."

Honestly, I'm starting to get angry. I can't finish this. If you insist on being a poor keeper, knock yourself out. Do us all a favor, though, and do it in silence.

Peregrin

Arachnopeon
No reason to continue to do so and no data not to do so :)

Let's get rid of the humanity and be objective about this. Is my tarantula a dog? Is the pressure coming from an air hose the same as from a water spray? No, i wouldn't blast my genitals with a gun. Would I blast the genitals of my tarantula with a gun? No again. Your attacks are amusing because they're all just opinions and false analogies.

You're telling me I'm stupid and all you say is that i should reexamine myself... What would be my standard for rexamination? If you're gonna blow up all over me , you might as well exert the effort to gve me concrete advice. Not your piss poor arguments relating my tarantula care to a dog or a gun owner.

What are you trying to prove with the example of your darlingis? Do they really need to make intricate tunnelss? My enclosure for the darlingi is much smaller but it still uses the entire thing. With what you're saying, it could be concluded that either darlingis use the entirety of their home or they need more space brcause they used the entirety. Back up your opnions with better data. What you're saying is ambiguous.

You're also saying that a tarantula isn't in the suitable environment f it doesn't eat. I mist them then leave a superworm overnight. Next day, a bolus is all what is left. I used to mist them everyday too yet they still ate. If they're eating, does that mean that the environment is suitable? Ya, i tapped my container before when my tarantula was eating. It dropped it but after a while, it picked it up again. What are you trying to prove? What are your standards in basing that my husbandry is piss poor? Back it up with data. Your paragraphs lack substance. It's literally a hate mail.

With the wter, i mist them directly so that wter droplets are left on the soil they're sitting on. They have burrows but they choose to stay to get misted. They can scurry away anytime but they don't. I know the chelicerae is under. I don't spray ot directly thinking the hairs would absorb the water. If it didn't need water, then why is it suggested that water dish should be kept in the enclosure at all times? If it could adjust to a desert climate, then what's the point of a water source? Think a little first because you're just an angry mess.

Stop relatin things to feelings. Browse the thread a little. You'll see that "most people don't so I'll do it" isn't my only reason.

---------- Post added 09-20-2014 at 05:19 PM ----------

Not at all, but you can't really avoid that. All I'm saying is that could be an indicator that maybe the op should change their methods if that happens. I have no way of proving that my spiders with their water bowls are better off than the ops. I just mentioned it since nobody else did, something to add to the discussion. This whole thread is all opinion since there doesn't seem to be any real concrete data available right? :)
I chose to do away with the water dish because they usr t as a garbage can so I used misting as the substitute for water. Idk if they need it and no one can prove to me they don't so i'll just give it water.

Some act as if it's nothing. Others hunch a little. None would attack the water spray. I see it as a necessary evil and I went here to post what I'm doing to get cncrete, scientific advice backed up by data and experiements but so far, most I'm gettig are just opinions or claims without data.

Last edited:

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
I didn't say you were stupid. I did, however, say you're uneducated and obstinate. You're reading into what I said to suit your own agenda. I also did not say that the pressure of an air hose is the same pressure as a spray bottle. You completely missed the point.

Congratulations, your unwillingness to understand why you are wrong has completely drained this thread of any purpose it could have had. Why did you even start it in the first place? People like you make me sad that people are a species.

---------- Post added 09-20-2014 at 04:31 AM ----------

Also the fact that you want "scientific data" pertaining to spraying a tarantula is laughable at best. Do you have any grasp on what "scientific data" is? Do you understand why that request is absolutely ludicrous?

Peregrin

Arachnopeon
Also the fact that you want "scientific data" pertaining to spraying a tarantula is laughable at best. Do you have any grasp on what "scientific data" is? Do you understand why that request is absolutely ludicrous?
Stan Schultz claimed that tarantulas could develop a waxy layer and even increase the waxiness. He published this in his book or website. Now, how could he say that without publishing the data and experiment he used to uncover that?

You could easily create an experiment to see the effects of a water misting each day. Get some slings, divide into 3 groups. First one, no water source, only food. Second, leave it with a water dish. Third, do the water misting. Document the reactions, size ofthe t, amount of food eaten and control the humidity. That's scientific data for you.

ParryOtter

Arachnopeon
The thing is, while people aren't relying on rigorous quantitative studies, they are relying on generalizable knowledge gained from previous observation and experience. In certain husbandry matters, I'm not sure I feel the need for formal studies when I have a wealth of knowledge about tarantula habitats and behavior in the wild. Why wouldn't I want to mimic that as closely as possible? Just cause? I'm not going to go against obvious preferences of my tarantulas because I have an issue with the lack of data backing up what common sense already tells me.

I wouldn't catch a bug outside and put it in an enclosure with a pillow and blankie, try to feed it from a spoon, and have it drink from a straw. It would probably find a way to survive just fine, maybe even thrive. But I would much rather do my part as a good keeper and provide a more natural environment. Prudence doesn't just mean caution and good judgement- it is wisdom based on experience. That, to me, validates the standards of not directly misting a tarantula trapped in an enclosure that is not ideal or as natural as possible.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well that escalated quickly.

I wonder, how do people know what a tarantula feels? I've seen a lot of people make claims, very specific ones, about how their T's react to misting, except they don't mist their T's. I wonder how that works.

No one here advocated doing anything simply because no one else does it. I think everyone has given reasons for doing what they do, both pro and con.

I've already pointed out that the effects of gravity and capillary action will, in fact, carry water from the topside of an animal to the bottom. I'm not sure how the thought arose that water is stationary and doesn't wick, but there you go.

There could be benefits to misting, no one here seems to know. Most people accept that misting is bad simply due to some tarantulas (imagined?) response to it. Taking this to another level, when a child is sat down for supper, it will usually react very favorably to chocolate, ice cream, cake, etc. and usually react poorly to brussel sprouts, spinach, squash, etc. Using the logic presented here by a few individuals who also chose to make analogies, the child shouldn't be fed vegetables. Nobody in their right mind would advocate that but they make claims that misting is bad based on the same criteria. What if regular misting helps clean the spider? It's certainly a possibility. This is the only place that I have ever seen people advocate keeping an animal absolutely happy no matter what. I have never thought neutering a dog wouldn't stress it out and I have never considered it necessary to the dogs health but people do it daily. Just because the spider doesn't like it doesn't mean it's bad.

Personal attacks seem to stall the march of progress and I thought we were making some here. Knowledge is power and unless people are willing to look at another view, they have no power and never will. Unless there is something concrete to back up claims on either side of the argument, it's just opinion and neither side can claim to be right.

cold blood

Staff member
When you get dozens of keepers with potentially hundreds of cumulative years of keeping, giving their observations across a great deal of time, with a great deal of species and the op completely discounts them because we weren't wearing lab coats or writing dissertations on the subject, and assuming that our observations are not good enough to be anything but opinion because of that, there's going to be a level of frustration.

Its not even worth bothering with at this point. Its obvious that the only person the op will listen to is required to be wearing a lab coat. Good luck, hopefully a scientist will respond so there is SOMEONE for him to actually listen to and not immediately discount. No matter how much info is available here from serious keepers with decades of experience, its apparently still not even close to enough for the op to take seriously. Why even bother to help or discuss the subject. He's been given real world observations from dozens of very experienced individuals so far, and has simply chosen to explain that their observations don't mean enough for him to even consider as reality for a minute.

To each their own.:)

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When you get dozens of keepers with potentially hundreds of cumulative years of keeping, giving their observations across a great deal of time, with a great deal of species and the op completely discounts them because we weren't wearing lab coats or writing dissertations on the subject, and assuming that our observations are not good enough to be anything but opinion because of that, there's going to be a level of frustration.

Its not even worth bothering with at this point. Its obvious that the only person the op will listen to is required to be wearing a lab coat. Good luck, hopefully a scientist will respond so there is SOMEONE for him to actually listen to and not immediately discount. No matter how much info is available here from serious keepers with decades of experience, its apparently still not even close to enough for the op to take seriously. Why even bother to help or discuss the subject. He's been given real world observations from dozens of very experienced individuals so far, and has simply chosen to explain that their observations don't mean enough for him to even consider as reality for a minute.

To each their own.:)
One very important thing to remember is that there is no one on here qualified to say with absolute certainty and honesty that they know what their tarantula thinks or feels. Also remember, using the argument 'I know because everybody knows' is crap argument. I have decades of experience working with arachnids, reptiles and many other animals and the one thing I know for a fact is that I just don't know.

I've seen a few people on here trying to pass off opinion as fact. Just because everyone else feels that way doesn't make it right. It certainly doesn't make it wrong but you must concede that it is possible that the feelings of many do not constitue fact. Remember, the majority of the earths population at one time believed it to be flat. People were ridiculed and murdered for claiming otherwise. Their opinions amounted to nothing more than yours does without proof.

Emotions are not evidence and what someone else think is just as unreliable. Observation is only so reliable. Remember that throughout history observations have been proven false time and again. I'm not saying that's the case her, I'm just saying that until something more reliable than feelings comes along, wouldn't it be best to dispense with the blanket statements? Again, I'm not for or against misting, I just wish people would be honest about what is a fact and what isn't

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Its not even worth bothering with at this point. Its obvious that the only person the op will listen to is required to be wearing a lab coat.
depositphotos_4748147-Isolated-scientist-woman-in-lab-coat-with-chemical-glassware.jpg

"Try misting with something other than water, for example carrot juice. Then your tarantula will have improved vision."

cold blood

Staff member
One very important thing to remember is that there is no one on here qualified to say with absolute certainty and honesty that they know what their tarantula thinks or feels.
No one knows this for sure, no one, not even scientists studying them to their fullest extent....if you are waiting for that info...you have a lot of waiting ahead of you, I don't care who you talk to, that info isn't available. Reading a t's mind isn't an option for anyone on this planet.

Years of observations provide us with the most educated information. This has ZERO to do with emotions, human or otherwise. Our collective decades of interactions and observations by far provide us with the best info we have available and this is EXACTLY what was provided and then promptly discounted.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I'm gonna get so much hate for this but I actually directly mist my tarantulas. I do this so that the tarantula would be forced to drink bits of the water.
I really don't get why people frown upon misting the tarantulas directly. I'm aware of the stress but seriously, these things can last for months without food and what's a few droplets to them?

Pls share your opinions and explain why the tarantula should not be misted. I see lots of people on other forums saying "DO NOT MIST THE TARANTULA DIRECTLY" without explaining the logic behind it aside from the probable stress it will induce.
When I first read this thread and started following it I thought the OP was just trying to open a dialogue about his husbandry habits. The opening statement, "I'm gonna get so much hate for this", in light of subsequent happenings on this thread, no sounds like the opening salvo of an intentional drama war. Tbh, collectively, we don't, or at least shouldn't, have any more time for this crap.
OP, you asked for opinions, and you got them, you wanted explanations, you got them. The only reason I can see for starting this thread was to cause drama. This is evidenced by the confrontational tone in your opening post, and proven in your increasingly stubborn, heels dug in, attitude.

Let's just all agree to disagree shall we? You keep doing your thing, the rest of us will continue to let our animals have enough room to fully stretch out and turn around comfortably. Just don't expect a lot of people to waste their time in the future answering your questions and concerns.

Enjoy your day. :)

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Human emotion has absolutely everything to do with it. If you raised a baby according to the methods described here for raising a tarantula, how would that work out? If the baby cried and got stressed when you bathed it, would you stop bathing it? When a baby doesn't like to eat green beans and carrots, do you feed it ice cream and cake? If a baby screams and cries when you tell it no, it can't play with the knife, do you gice in and say yes? The arguments offered here for not misting T's are the exact same as this. No? Of course not, one is a human and we know what's best for the baby, the other is a spider and it knows better than we do. That is an ignorant argument on any level but all thise who are saying it stresses the T and is therefore bad can not concede that there may be another option. Just because everyone thinks something is true doesn't make it so and to make that claim is as uneducated a thing to say as any I've ever heard. The sad thing is, if these people are wrong, they will never know if there is a better way to do things. Sounds like progress is in trouble if we can't consider ways of thought. Thank heavens not everyone was as narrow minded or we'd still be on a flat earth butning people at the stake