DIY acrylic tarantula terrarium. How to build top sliding door?

RufusLoacker

Arachnopeon
Basically title.
I want to build an acrylic tank for my geniculata. I'd like it to open from above rather than from the front, but I don't have the space for a hinged door. However, all the tutorials I find are for hinged doors. How could I build a sliding top?

tarantula in temporary box for tax

1712165851035.jpeg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Make the side and back panel taller than the front panel by the appropriate amount, epoxy in a "rail" on each side and the back for a lid to slide on, and epoxy a top "lip" on sides and back to hold the lid down - you've created a channel for the lid to slide in and out on. Here are some quick sketches I made to show what I'm thinking:
1000020536.jpg
1000020535.jpg

Maybe someone else has better ideas, but this is what I would try.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Make the side and back panel taller than the front panel by the appropriate amount, epoxy in a "rail" on each side and the back for a lid to slide on, and epoxy a top "lip" on sides and back to hold the lid down - you've created a channel for the lid to slide in and out on. Here are some quick sketches I made to show what I'm thinking:
View attachment 470278
View attachment 470279

Maybe someone else has better ideas, but this is what I would try.
If you can’t supply CAD drawings signed by an engineer this slip shod work just won’t do 😉

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
If you can’t supply CAD drawings signed by an engineer this slip shod work just won’t do 😉
I've already sent the info to my Revit team to get started on this, so the engineers should approve by the end of the week. It's just going to cost around $2800 and we'll be in business.

Or, I could do it right now for $100 and a bacon cheeseburger (if you're willing to proceed without involving the engineering community)... 😆😉

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've already sent the info to my Revit team to get started on this, so the engineers should approve by the end of the week. It's just going to cost around $2800 and we'll be in business.

Or, I could do it right now for $100 and a bacon cheeseburger (if you're willing to proceed without involving the engineering community)... 😆😉
Always knew you’d price gouge! But if you toss in a box turtle Im in!

RufusLoacker

Arachnopeon
Thanks! I've noticed that Tarantula Cribs use that design for their sliding enclosures, so I guess if it works for them, it works for me!

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
NMTs Design is Elegant and Functional.

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks! I've noticed that Tarantula Cribs use that design for their sliding enclosures, so I guess if it works for them, it works for me!
That's basically where I stole it from. Actually, reptile enclosures have been using this design for their screen lids for decades, so it's proven. You can epoxy a couple little pieces of acrylic to the top of the lid to serve as handles.

I don't know if you'll need to do it, but you can also secure the lid when it's closed by drilling a small hole in the lid that is inside the front panel, then drop a pin into it to keep the lid from being slid open... Whether or not it's needed depends on what you'll be housing and how much friction there is in the fit of the lid to begin with.