Dubia roach colony - slow reproduction

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My experience has been the same as skippydude and catfish. When they seem to really start reproducing over time people wonder why, I think it's often the case that there are more females maturing and having babies and not so much the case that each female is having more babies. I have a lot of females too, only a few males. Sometimes there has been a bump in males at times though.

shelpen

Arachnosquire
catfishrod69 --
Had no idea!

Little update --
had a brief period of having a bunch of babies but fed them off rather quickly... Saw a female "laying" babies this morning... Pretty cool!
Still it seems I have a lots of males, had another flush down...
So right now the colony produces only the amount I feed off, no excess so far... Going to buy a heating pad [for humans] with different temp settings and a continuous heat function to wrap around the container... $40 though...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not a bad idea for that kind of heating pad, you can warm your feet at night if you need to.

elportoed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used heat lamp with the infrared bulb when I started the colony.
I feel it's a bit better since you can have it in one place above the tank,
and they can move around to where the temp is right for them.
Once the colony started, there's no stopping them.
I don't even need the lamp anymore, even in the warm winter of socal...

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You know, you could just rehouse the males seperately. Then you could wait until you have a good amount of them, then sell/trade/give them away on here. Would be better than flushing. The male dubias make the best feeders from a dubia colony anyways, the rest are like trying to feed a cat a turtle.
catfishrod69Still it seems I have a lots of males, had another flush down...