Dyskinetic syndrome (dks)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yes, that is the worst case I've ever seen. Most graphic. It's as if someone poured gasoline on him and set him on fire. It's horrible to think that but it looks that painful. If this happens to one of mine, if I can build up the heart to do it, I'll euthanize mine. I couldn't stand to see it suffer..
That might not be necessary. There are cases of poisoning (usually the cause of these symptoms, DKS is not a disease on itself), where the keeper got it through the next molt and the spider molted out of it. As for feeling pain.. I don't think they feel pain like mammals do.

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
That might not be necessary. There are cases of poisoning (usually the cause of these symptoms, DKS is not a disease on itself), where the keeper got it through the next molt and the spider molted out of it. As for feeling pain.. I don't think they feel pain like mammals do.
There have been very few reported coming out of this disease alive and some have died horribly. If they have nerves, then I believe they would feel pain. When my daughter was 16, I bought her a pink toe for her 16th bday. Neither one of us knew anything about T's and to be honest, at that time, I didn't want to because I had bad dreams about spiders frequently and was afraid of them. But anywho. Whether she was being an onery teenager or just trying to get me over my fear tried to put it on me one day and I in impulse jerked away and she fell to the floor and when she hit the floor she made a squeaking sound I'll NEVER forget. It took her a min to turn back over and she was pretty sluggish for a while after that. So yea, I'd say they very much have feelings. Thankfully she survived. Maybe her being an avic had something to do with her surviving. And it was a hardwood floor to. That's was many yrs ago and we now know better.

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
There have been very few reported coming out of this disease alive and some have died horribly. If they have nerves, then I believe they would feel pain. When my daughter was 16, I bought her a pink toe for her 16th bday. Neither one of us knew anything about T's and to be honest, at that time, I didn't want to because I had bad dreams about spiders frequently and was afraid of them. But anywho. Whether she was being an onery teenager or just trying to get me over my fear tried to put it on me one day and I in impulse jerked away and she fell to the floor and when she hit the floor she made a squeaking sound I'll NEVER forget. It took her a min to turn back over and she was pretty sluggish for a while after that. So yea, I'd say they very much have feelings. Thankfully she survived. Maybe her being an avic had something to do with her surviving. And it was a hardwood floor to. That's was many yrs ago and we now know better.
This DKS does not exist. You're just observing your spider on its death bed. Some kick off quick while others drag it out for a month or more. Once they get that look they're goners.

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
This DKS does not exist. You're just observing your spider on its death bed. Some kick off quick while others drag it out for a month or more. Once they get that look they're goners.
So everyone in the hobby is wrong then?? Why do a few exceptions molt out of it?? If it's just a death bed thing, why doesn't it affect all T's that way?? Why do most just die in a death curl or just go limp?? Do you know?? I'm just curious and interested in all of this..

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
So everyone in the hobby is wrong then?? Why do a few exceptions molt out of it?? If it's just a death bed thing, why doesn't it affect all T's that way?? Why do most just die in a death curl or just go limp?? Do you know?? I'm just curious and interested in all of this..
I'm not a scientist. The difference between me and them is they just repeat this nonsense over and over until it becomes accepted.

Have you found any reliable videos from someone who seems honest who has shown a tarantula "molting out of this condition" and being healthy a year later?

If so let me know.

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
I'm not a scientist. The difference between me and them is they just repeat this nonsense over and over until it becomes accepted.

Have you found any reliable videos from someone who seems honest who has shown a tarantula "molting out of this condition" and being healthy a year later?

If so let me know.
I don't know anyone personally. I've just heard others say they've heard of it happening. I would truly love it if it does happen. It's a horrible thing these animals go through whether it's actually a disease called DKS or like you say just going through a horrific way to die.

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire

If so let me know.
SingaporeB, I have to apologize to you. After rereading my response to you I realized it sounded like I was ranting on you. I didn't mean to. I'm sorry. I'm just looking for answers from anyone who may know about this. I just got into the hobby not long ago and have fallen in love with all these fiesty creatures. Even the mean ones. I hate it for all of them. I really do but death is definitely a part of life, no matter the creature. Humans included. Ty for your comments. Have a Merry Christmas

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
I have a T right now that I believe to be suffering from DKS from an unknown cause. It’s really hard to watch when she’s having a really bad “fit” or seizure or however you might call it... but I’ve also read people saying they can molt out of it. :( not sure what to do for the poor girl. As I read as much as I can, it seems like little real facts are known here. Lots of speculation and guesswork

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
I have a T right now that I believe to be suffering from DKS from an unknown cause. It’s really hard to watch when she’s having a really bad “fit” or seizure or however you might call it... but I’ve also read people saying they can molt out of it. :( not sure what to do for the poor girl. As I read as much as I can, it seems like little real facts are known here. Lots of speculation and guesswork
I'm sorry Maggie :(. I hope your baby comes out of it. Prayers for your baby

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
I'm sorry Maggie :(. I hope your baby comes out of it. Prayers for your baby
Thank you Debbie. The poor girl is loved by a bunch of kids and I really hate thinking of not only my T suffering but the kids faces too when we tell them.. hope we don’t have to have that conversation just yet!

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
Is she due a molt??
Her color has gone dull grey and her abdomen became balder as she refused the food, etc.. was thinking she was pre molt because if that, but now it’s hard to say if it was pre molt or if its this DKS which has seemingly taken her over now and causing weird behavior of its own.

Debbie Mcclure

Arachnosquire
Her color has gone dull grey and her abdomen became balder as she refused the food, etc.. was thinking she was pre molt because if that, but now it’s hard to say if it was pre molt or if its this DKS which has seemingly taken her over now and causing weird behavior of its own.
Is this the only T yal have??

pps

Arachnopeon
Jakub Skowronek, owner of the spidershop.pl, has stated that his new solution (he tried multiple things) works in 90% of the cases. You need to put tarantula in enclosure with only wet paper (like toilet paper) and keep it in 30+ degrees Celsius. Try to feed it in the meantime, and after a week it should be fine. I didn't test it myself, but he has one of the biggest, if not the biggest spider shop in the world so I believe it's legit.

You can watch older solution (no paper etc, but you can see how he is feeding it, the spider also was put on the back by the owner) here
In 1:35 he shows a female after 2 months of this treatment, before she was almost not moving her legs
In 2:48 you can see the first spider after two weeks

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Jakub Skowronek, owner of the spidershop.pl, has stated that his new solution (he tried multiple things) works in 90% of the cases. You need to put tarantula in enclosure with only wet paper (like toilet paper) and keep it in 30+ degrees Celsius. Try to feed it in the meantime, and after a week it should be fine. I didn't test it myself, but he has one of the biggest, if not the biggest spider shop in the world so I believe it's legit.

You can watch older solution (no paper etc, but you can see how he is feeding it, the spider also was put on the back by the owner) here
In 1:35 he shows a female after 2 months of this treatment, before she was almost not moving her legs
In 2:48 you can see the first spider after two weeks
Did he trigger a molt with those high temps and assisted feedings?
@KezyGLA @cold blood @viper69, what do you think of this?

cold blood

Staff member
Due to a neighbor in love with spraying his yard with poisons, ive had bunches of ts effected....about half survived.....getting them to molt is key....although a molt wont always end the issue, it usually does.

Last edited:

pps

Arachnopeon
Nope, they didn't need to molt to be healthy again. And when this works they are back to full health, like they were never ill. It's only my guess, but maybe this forced feeding is most important here (water or microelements from food keep them strong when their organism is fighting the disease?), because even the previous solution works, it was not that reliable, but still.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
possible, but apparently not the case in all situations. I had to help with many feedings...when theyre frantic, those small movements necessary to grasp food are very difficult, prey needs to be held motionless to allow them to grab it successfully. I found mealworms and wax worms to be the best.... just my experiences anyway.

Last edited: