Effective Breeding of Brachypelma Smithi

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
:eek: :eek: :eek: What I can't believe this! No Eddy it cant be true he just can't be a Liar and a scoundral! No this isn't happening my world has just collapsed around me now that I have noone to ask about brachys!!!:8o

BTW
Here are at least two PUBBLISHED articles you could look up for yourself Talkenlate04:-

VVN magazine jaargang 13 nr 42, 2004 Eddy Hijmensen: 'Brachypelma schroederi en Brachypelma verdezi'.

VVN magazine jaargang 15 nr 49, 2006 (23-25), Eddy Hijmensen: 'geslaagde kweek met Brachypelma baumgarteni'

Hope this helps?

Cheers
Chris:)

Last edited:

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi, that is all smithi. where is the B. emilia, B. auratum and B. boehmei?
yet nothing on these rare (even in Europe) breedings,
Not getting into the argument, but something here made me curious. Prices from NWInverts:

smithi: $16 1/4"
emilia: $24 1/3"
boehmei: $30 1/3"

And although NW doesn't have auratum, Swift's does for $32 1/4".

My question then is if those 3 are so hard to breed why are they apparently so plentiful that the prices are not much more than smithis? I would guess wild caught specimens laying eggsacs in captivity if it weren't for the fact they're brachy... :confused: Not saying you're wrong, just wondering why they're so common.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
european import. there are shitloads of spiderlings in a sac. breedings are still rare, spiderlings however not.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
from the CITES database:
2006 Brachypelma smithi US DE 2500 live
2006 Brachypelma emilia US DE 1500 live

the list for 2007 is not online yet. i however doubt much changed since then.

happy to help
Eddy

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
as a big Brachypelma fan myself i know it takes more then luck to breed the "redleg" species. so if someone breeds those species succesfull they have my deepest respect..... however if they claim they bred them succesfully but clearly didn't then hunting season is open! a big part of this hobby is based on trust. self proclaimed Brachy experts can do a lot of damage.

Show me one person who has had 'damage' done to them by a self-proclaimed brachy expert.

Also show me proof that he 'clearly' didn't successfully breed certain species.

And explain to me how I or anyone else should trust you when you're the one bashing people for no good reason.

I could (quite easily) draw up a fake report using pictures I found online, as could anyone here, so yes, a huge part of the hobby is based on trust. If you don't trust him, fine, don't trust him. Stop trash-talking when there's no reason. I see a lot more of his posts on here than I do yours, so he would obviously be more trustworthy to many people if for that reason alone.

At least he cares about seeing people succeed. Seems you only care about seeing people fail.

Go ahead, reply to this, but my posts in regards to this are done. This thread was put here asking for opinions and suggestions about breeding smithis, not asking for trash-talking. Take it somewhere else.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Talkenlate04

Hey Ryan,

Thanks a bunch for the info, you are the only one one here that actually offered advice and information, which is what I was looking for. Soory you ended up getting picked on for doing what the boards are intened for... Exchanging Information.

TO the MUD SLINGERS,
You guys should give me your takes on breeding THIS species, if you wnat to debate other breedings, start a seperate thread please. If you have pertinant information on breed B. Smithi please by all means write it up and get it on the boards and in this thread.

Talkenlate04 (Ryan) has done nothing but help me and others with questions in a professional, friendly, and all beit-scientific manner. So CHEERS to Ryan, hip hip horay!:worship:

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see a lot more of his posts on here than I do yours, so he would obviously be more trustworthy to many people if for that reason alone.

At least he cares about seeing people succeed. Seems you only care about seeing people fail.

Go ahead, reply to this, but my posts in regards to this are done. This thread was put here asking for opinions and suggestions about breeding smithis, not asking for trash-talking. Take it somewhere else.
so more = better??

as for smithi breeding, also see:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=19411&highlight=breeding+smithi
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=21454&highlight=breeding+smithi

allways happy to fail

Eddy

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NO, more does not equal better, but it does equal more experience.

Hey and thanks for the links to B. Smithi breeding
so if i post 1000x "nice pic mate" i will have more experience?

as for the posts, your welcome. i hate writing everything over and over. there should be a search button on these boards!

good night
Eddy

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
so if i post 1000x "nice pic mate" i will have more experience?
Well you would certainly have more experience at taking nice pictures!:D

Edit: OOPS, i get what you were realy saying, and now i think you are a little on the cynical side, but to each his own.

When i think of helpful experienced people on the board, i think of Talkenlate04. But that is just my opinion.

Cheers,

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
OK, WE HAVE HAD OUR FUN NOW LETS BRING IT BACK TO THE SUBJECT MATTER AT HAND. SHALL WE?:embarrassed:

It's a little early but i want to be very prepared for an attempt to breed my B. Smithi.

So any of you who have bred Brachypelma successfully please tell me how, and give me pointers. Please give as many details as you can.

My mature female will be molting sometime between Jan and May of '08 and the same goes for the male. The male will most likely be Sexually Mature upon his next molt. I need to know things like timing of the molts to breeding and stuff like that, and the more info the better, cause some varriables may not be as important as others. I really want to know which of the varriables are needing a great deal of attention and which ones are not so important.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowlege and experiences,

P.S. I you post links to past threads thats great, but new accounts and attempts of Breeding B. Smithi are also good. So if you like post links, but if you have relevant info please share.

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, have you posted all of your breeding reports, complete with dates and pictures, on this board?
To date, I have published all five of my long term projects.

Project one: Grammostola rosea...in the breeding reports

Project two: Aphonopelma seemani...also in that same section

Project three: Scolopendra polymorpha...again, in the breeding reports

These are my three lesser known projects. I've been keeping for two years, as well as going to school full time and working nearly full time. These are my 'school year' projects...so called because I work on them during the school year.

Answering your other post, the reason I do not post in the tarantula forums is because tarantulas have not been my main area of interest.

However, I do recieve a PM every week or two on average from people asking for my advice or opinions on feeders, pricing or people. All this, without ever declaring myself an 'expert' in anything.

Pretty impressive, eh?

I get asked for quite a bit of advice through PMs and in the chat. I always try to answer as honestly and completely as I can.

For the past three years, I have been researching and experimenting with the captive care of wasps. I created the first caresheet over one summer, which you can read here...in the articles section.

This past summer, I spent most of my time perfecting the caresheet and posted an updated version here. I reccomend this one (and if any prospective wasp keepers are reading this...use honey, not OJ)

These caresheets have been called 'groundbreaking' and 'revolutionary' by people other than myself. There are people who modeled their wasp colonies after mine and with those two documents, I single handedly generated quite a bit of interest in that hobby. Partially because those documents generated an interest among board members and partially because those who were already working on those projects learned there *was* an interest.

The reason why I do not work on very many projects is because my projects are generally 'bushwacking' type projects...areas which are not very well understood and thus need to be documented.

My next project that I am planning on persuing on a similar level is the captive breeding of Scolopendrids.

Like Metallica said...breeding of the genus Brachypelma is not very easy and can't be done by accident for most species. Considering that I can't find a single record of a US produced eggsac, I find it highly doubtful that this species has been bred in the US.

I haven't checked the ATS forums or Venomlist yet, though. I only recently joined those and don't really post a whole lot so I could very well be wrong. Someone could post a link to a breeding report on either of those forums and very rudely shut me up.

I don't know...I've been looking for information and come up dry every time. Or I've stumbled across a paper written in German.

Breeding is quite common in Holland and Germany, I'm told.

Here's the beautiful thing about science, Xhexdx...it can both be used to call a bluff and clear someone's name because not only is it testable, it's repeatable as well. Had my caresheets for wasps been contrived and fabricated, that would have quickly been figured out and nobody would be keeping them. Instead, Venomlist has an entire sub-forum for bees and wasps and it's dominated by wasp keepers who are following in the footsteps of those who contributed to the first few caresheets.

It's similar for Brachypelma annithia. If Ryan's telling the truth, all he has to do is check his records and his breeding can be confirmed if he posts his methods.

However, his decision to 'trade his female off' does puzzle me quite a bit. They're very, very rare. If you have a proven breeder female of a very rare species, why would you trade it off?

It's a precious commodity.

What would you trade it for?

If Ryan had anything to offer in his defense except cliche combacks, I might be a bit more inclined to take him seriously. If he started posting information about temperatures, misting, gestation period, mating comditions, etc...then I'd start to believe him. However, he has posted no defense for himself or even data to back his claim up.

As for why I care?

Self proclaimed experts can do a lot of damage in this hobby. I've seen people on these very forums give advice that would surely kill the spider they were asking about. Or at least shorten it's life span.

There are a lot of other little things that don't *quite* add up here...but I thought I'd point out one of the major ones.

Oh, yeah, and Ryan doesn't have to prove himself to anyone. It's his right.

However, it's also my right to express my disbelief and explain why I don't believe him.

He's not required to prove anything to anyone, but I'm also not required to believe him without proof.

Last edited:

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just waiting for Cheshire's balfouri sac to drop! :eek:

And yeah for now I am the Arachnochuck. Bringing the badassery of chuck penguinism to the hobby.
;)

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Hmm

IN RESPONSE TO CHESHIRE-
Point taken... I guess?

we will see what he has to say about it, if anything at all.