Emperor Scorpions <- Help Needed Fast!

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You don't know how cold it is in Canada, so why don't you forget about it?

And if you're going to make such a big fuss about people using heat mats, go complain to all those other hundreds of thousands of people that use heat mats, okay? I'm just following what other people do.
I do know how cold it is in Canada, I'm from the UP, and it's pretty well the same. An over head heat source of say 75-100 watts depending on the size of the tank you eventually go with will be more than sufficient to keep your P. Imperator comfortable. The downside to heatmats is the risk of burning. Overhead sources are easier to move so that you can have a heat gradient within your tank and it still allows for burrowing if your scorp needs to cool off. If you go with a small, say 5 gallon enclosure, even a 30-50 watt lamp will be ok, but in all honesty, i've had the best luck with the lamps.

Also, being relatively new to the boards, try not to get pissed about advice you're given. There's no need to get defensive or offensive, everyone will say their piece on here, and unless they want to get banned, it won't be offensive and won't be said in a manner that is intended to attack you. We all post on here because we believe in the hobby and want to keep it going, so just keep that in mind. Also, being an international board, some folk's english isn't always that great, so keep the language barrier in mind. All in all, welcome to the community and good luck.

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do know how cold it is in Canada, I'm from the UP, and it's pretty well the same. An over head heat source of say 75-100 watts depending on the size of the tank you eventually go with will be more than sufficient to keep your P. Imperator comfortable. The downside to heatmats is the risk of burning. Overhead sources are easier to move so that you can have a heat gradient within your tank and it still allows for burrowing if your scorp needs to cool off. If you go with a small, say 5 gallon enclosure, even a 30-50 watt lamp will be ok, but in all honesty, i've had the best luck with the lamps.

Also, being relatively new to the boards, try not to get pissed about advice you're given. There's no need to get defensive or offensive, everyone will say their piece on here, and unless they want to get banned, it won't be offensive and won't be said in a manner that is intended to attack you. We all post on here because we believe in the hobby and want to keep it going, so just keep that in mind. Also, being an international board, some folk's english isn't always that great, so keep the language barrier in mind. All in all, welcome to the community and good luck.
I wasn't getting defensive or offensive. I just told him to forget about people using heat mats because he was complaining about them. I mean, why is it such a big deal for him anyways? I just don't get it.

Hmmm i cant really understand why all you ppl say you have to use heatmat and is using a heatmat? i mean how cold is your rooms? i dont really understand it.. i have scorps thats dessert species and they dont have a heatmat or lamp, nothing.. just overhead light.. they survive pretty fine, some are molting and breeding and stuff.. so i cant see the big fuss about heatmats.. i say screw em.. if you place them wrong they can kill your scorp.. same goes for lamps..
Besides that, his post was 100% spam and totally unnecessary.

Last edited:

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its not really spam dude, iam just trying to tell ppl that you dont really need heatmats or stuff like that, i have seen ppl that live in warm parts of the US use heatmats or lamps. if you read my secound post again you might get the idea why i posted the first post.. but hey if you cant keep your room temp at 20c because its cold outside use a heatmat..

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm not gonna argue with you about this, but his post wasn't spam, he was simply giving his input to a question you asked. You wanted input you got it. What you do with it is up to you. Just bear in mind that you're going to hear a lot of opinions on a lot of issues on here, and the best thing you can do is look at all of them, then combine them with the research you've done, and then go from there. if you see something you don't like, just don't use it. If someone is spamming, then the moderators will take care of it, so don't worry about that. again, please remember the language barrier that some people on here face.

Brendan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its not really spam dude, iam just trying to tell ppl that you dont really need heatmats or stuff like that, i have seen ppl that live in warm parts of the US use heatmats or lamps. if you read my secound post again you might get the idea why i posted the first post.. but hey if you cant keep your room temp at 20c because its cold outside use a heatmat..
Yeah but it wasn't really answering my question :(

I'm not gonna argue with you about this, but his post wasn't spam, he was simply giving his input to a question you asked. You wanted input you got it. What you do with it is up to you. Just bear in mind that you're going to hear a lot of opinions on a lot of issues on here, and the best thing you can do is look at all of them, then combine them with the research you've done, and then go from there. if you see something you don't like, just don't use it. If someone is spamming, then the moderators will take care of it, so don't worry about that. again, please remember the language barrier that some people on here face.
But the question I asked wasn't about an opinion from him. I didn't want an "opinion" input. It was about which heat mat I should get between the two I listed, and whether heat mats work on plastic terrariums.

EDIT: Anyways I guess that's okay. I'm not pissed at you guys if thats what you're thinking. I already got all the answers, so can a mod close this thread? :)

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The thread will stay open and just fade away eventually. As far as opinions, most advice stems from a personal opinion. There are multiple ways to do things with inverts, some better than others, but what you will generally get is fact mixed with opinion. Again, research research research and then take everything you find on here in the way of advice and mix it all together until you get something that looks to you like the best solution to your problem. For instance, research the natural environment of an emp, look at the methods for creating it, ask for advice on creating it, do what seems the best to you and what is within your means, and go from there. Keep all of this in mind, and you'll do just fine. Best of luck.

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brendan its is really a answer, I didnt really know you lived in Canada and yeah its gets cold there ( when to google and looked at weather forcasts :D ) but some ppl sometimes think a scorp needs 50c or something because its from Africa ( not saying you ) where a emp is happy around 20 or more.. so if you saw that and whent a messured your room temp on a daily basis ( i readt mine all the time in the weather to make sure its the temp i want too ) and saw that your room was more or less constantly lets say 22c then you whouldnt need a heatmat and didnt need to spend money on a thing you dont really need... iam not telling you not to buy a heatmat.. iam just confused because iam getting the image that iam the only one living in a heated room around here.. like in my orther post i said if you chouldnt keep your room temp at 20c then buy a heatmat for your emp.. or lamp :D mat whould be better if your room is really cold, temp might drop to fast overnight..

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i

i prefer using heat mats on the side of the tank or the 60 watt red bulb for the emps beacuse when it is cold it cant really they humidy they need.

also during night times and morning its really cold in the room
so i keep my light or heat mat on at night times till i wake up.
and i dont use both of them at once.

and i know that the scorps need heat to digest and have a good metabolism to eat