Enclosure for new young scorpion

ComicSans

Arachnopeon
I kept the substrate that was in the cup from when I got it from the shop; figured what they used would be fine for the time being, and I sure hope they didnt put potting soil in it lmao. Waiting on the new acrylic enclosure I got, should be here like Tuesday, when that comes imma snag some of the soil mixture from my main terrarium which has reptisoil in it. I sprinkled some gravel in because I put some small pieces in the bottlecap water dish in there so it wouldnt drrown in it

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I kept the substrate that was in the cup from when I got it from the shop; figured what they used would be fine for the time being, and I sure hope they didnt put potting soil in it lmao. Waiting on the new acrylic enclosure I got, should be here like Tuesday, when that comes imma snag some of the soil mixture from my main terrarium which has reptisoil in it. I sprinkled some gravel in because I put some small pieces in the bottlecap water dish in there so it wouldnt drrown in it
Generally drowning isn't a issue. There was even a keeper here years ago who insisted AFS was semi aquatic LOL. They had a whole aquatic vivarium for it, but they never posted again. Obviously they aren't semi-aquatic, but they ARE native to a region that experiences floods for months at a time.

Little story: I was cleaning up mines enclosure, this was a couple molts back, and the little twerp managed to pinch my finger because he was close by. I reacted on instinct (like an idiot) and flung my arm up, and my scorpion was flung out of his enclosure into the turtle tank I had been keeping him above. He was fully submerged, soaked, for probly 2, 3 seconds while I looked for where he went and I saw him flailing underwater. I reached in, grabbed him in my hand, and quickly put him on a dry paper towel surface with a heater underneath. Within a few minutes he was already threat posing again. He was more sluggish for a couple weeks after that, but he made a full recovery. It was explained to me that because of their exoskeleton and how they breath, scorpions can survive being underwater for a considerable amount of time. Little tanks.

ComicSans

Arachnopeon
Haha, thats a funny story but ill definitely keep that in mind, was scared from some horror stories and seeing some stuff about scorps drowning in water dishes, but that def makes me feel better about it

MorbidArachnid

Arachnopeon
Generally drowning isn't a issue. There was even a keeper here years ago who insisted AFS was semi aquatic LOL. They had a whole aquatic vivarium for it, but they never posted again. Obviously they aren't semi-aquatic, but they ARE native to a region that experiences floods for months at a time.
I don't know about semi-aquatic, but they're definitely found around and in water (like puddles left behind after a flood). My Heterometrus spinifer loved to soak, when I provided her with a water dish big enough she would frequently submerge herself fully into it. Drowning is definitely an issue with smaller instars if they can't break the water tension, but for larger animal I definitely recommend providing a deep water dish with some rocks in it so they can climb out easily. I know OP is talking about a baby scorpion so this isn't a recommendation for them, but larger Heterometrus? Let them swim!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks, I just love all animals and have always wanted to keep something unique and cool like these guys; if this one goes well I'll probably look into getting a nice T or a desert hairy scorp to switch it up. I most likely will post some progress pics too!
H. arizonensis is a good choice for a desert species.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I don't know about semi-aquatic, but they're definitely found around and in water (like puddles left behind after a flood). My Heterometrus spinifer loved to soak, when I provided her with a water dish big enough she would frequently submerge herself fully into it. Drowning is definitely an issue with smaller instars if they can't break the water tension, but for larger animal I definitely recommend providing a deep water dish with some rocks in it so they can climb out easily. I know OP is talking about a baby scorpion so this isn't a recommendation for them, but larger Heterometrus? Let them swim!

Have you seen this behavior in the wild?

@The Snark

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Have you seen this behavior in the wild?
Insufficient data. In situ scorps are never out in the daylight and I've never monitored their natural range habitats which are near water at night with a black light.
Suffice, all observations of those scorps in illuminated areas inevitably provides suspected false or misleading data.
As I've mentioned in the past, due to the abundance of predators in the natural range of AFS a scorp out in the daylight is dead. Bird food.

gzophia

Arachnoknight
Fascinating; thank you for the photos and firsthand anecdotes! This seems to be a common behavior with this genus; I have read a lot about it. And when my own Heterometrus silenus (which I did not care for properly) was alive, I often oversoaked its substrate, yet the animal seemed completely comfortable with it.

Arachnids outside of Araneae that tolerate of bodies of water always interested me; there are the Asian Forest Scorpions but also Phrynus marginemaculatus (the Florida whipspider). In these two very different species, I think tolerance of water might have evolved as an adaptation against flooding, which seems occurs in these two species' habitats. Quite interesting!
Thanks, I just love all animals and have always wanted to keep something unique and cool like these guys; if this one goes well I'll probably look into getting a nice T or a desert hairy scorp to switch it up. I most likely will post some progress pics too!
Nice! Yeah, Hadrurus arizonensis is good if you give it plenty of suitable burrowing substrate; also consider Smeringurus mesaensis-- huge, elegant, and pretty cheap. Hard to breed though.

Last edited:

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Arachnids outside of Araneae that tolerate of bodies of water always interested me; there are the Asian Forest Scorpions but also Phrynus marginemaculatus (the Florida whipspider). In these two very different species, I think tolerance of water might have evolved as an adaptation against flooding, which seems occurs in these two species' habitats. Quite interesting!
I was unaware of that. I remember being utterly fascinated by the fact that H.gigas are witnessed catching fish in the wild.

really awesome to hear first hand accounts witnessed in wild habitat. The inverts we love so much don’t get a lot of documentaries and what have you. Thanks for the info!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
H. arizonensis is a good choice for a desert species.
They sound intermediate or harder to care for pet shop had one cheap but I’m afraid of that place because they sold me multiple sick Ts. Plus I didn’t have sand or excavation clay most said they needed.

Little story: I was cleaning up mines enclosure, this was a couple molts back, and the little twerp managed to pinch my finger because he was close by. I reacted on instinct (like an idiot) and flung my arm up, and my scorpion was flung out of his enclosure into the turtle tank I had been keeping him above. He was fully submerged, soaked, for probly 2, 3 seconds while I looked for where he went and I saw him flailing underwater. I reached in, grabbed him in my hand, and quickly put him on a dry paper towel surface with a heater underneath. Within a few minutes he was already threat posing again. He was more sluggish for a couple weeks after that, but he made a full recovery. It was explained to me that because of their exoskeleton and how they breath, scorpions can survive being underwater for a considerable amount of time. Little tanks.
Wow lucky scorpion didn’t get eaten by the turtle 🐢. Tanks for sure some inverts would splat .

gzophia

Arachnoknight
They sound intermediate or harder to care for pet shop had one cheap but I’m afraid of that place because they sold me multiple sick Ts. Plus I didn’t have sand or excavation clay most said they needed.
Exact same reason why I don't have one. They don't seem too hard to keep as long as you have excavator clay, but I don't. Also, molting seems to be fraught with problems for this species, which is terrible since I have only been able to find juveniles in my area.
A beautiful animal though; I might try getting one in the future if I can find an adult. I plan to stick with Paravaejovis spp. for now though; really cool and feisty little buggers. Maybe a Smeringurus mesaensis too; they will sometimes scrape instead of burrowing deep depending on their environment (according to SW scorpion expert @MorbidArachnid) so I think I could give them a shot. Cheaper too.

MorbidArachnid

Arachnopeon
A beautiful animal though; I might try getting one in the future if I can find an adult. I plan to stick with Paravaejovis spp. for now though; really cool and feisty little buggers. Maybe a Smeringurus mesaensis too; they will sometimes scrape instead of burrowing deep depending on their environment (according to SW scorpion expert @MorbidArachnid) so I think I could give them a shot. Cheaper too.
Lmao definitely not that :rofl: just have a particular interest in them.