Epibolus pulchripes (Kenyan Giant Red Legged Millipede)

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't have any of this species currently i only have AGB's with at least 4 young pedes and 1 large baby and a flameleg millipede all lonely like in his little tank. As far as anyone else having this species in the US i think you are the first because i couldn't find this species a year ago when i was purchasing my AGB's.
Awesome! Thanks for the info on trying to find them a year ago. Good luck with your millipedes. Where did you get your flameleg? :)

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
I had two flamelegs that I purchased from a guy I think someone from this forum? I can't really remember but my female died because I broke into her molting chamber when I was cleaning my 29 gal tank. After that I quit digging and I wish I could find another flameleg female for my lonely Miles. He always tries to get it with Nessie but she curls up and rejects him lol. Poor guy! So now I just have a female AGB and a Male Flameleg with of course my new baby AGB's.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had two flamelegs that I purchased from a guy I think someone from this forum? I can't really remember but my female died because I broke into her molting chamber when I was cleaning my 29 gal tank. After that I quit digging and I wish I could find another flameleg female for my lonely Miles. He always tries to get it with Nessie but she curls up and rejects him lol. Poor guy! So now I just have a female AGB and a Male Flameleg with of course my new baby AGB's.
Cool! Sorry about the loss of your female flameleg.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE: I saw four 1 inch juveniles. This is the most I have seen. I am also seeing many very small babies (.25 inch). This is also the most I have seen. The changes I have made are removing the adults. This consisted of 1 female and 2 males. The adults were walking and plowing into the babies. I am not sure if this was the issue with the previous deaths. It also seemed the adults were competing with the babies for food. The adults of this species eat a lot. Since I have removed the adults all has been fine. If others are keeping this species and have babies, I recommend removing the adults asap. By the time you remove the adults there will be ample feces for the babies gut flora.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE: I transferred the parents out of the babies enclosure 2 months ago. I looked in the parents new enclosure today and more babies...in 2 months. Wild. I guess the female laid the eggs as soon as I put her in there. So...I moved the parents out because they were walking all over the babies. I also loaded the new babies enclosure up with a huge amount of rotting wood. I put the parents in their own enclosure again. This thread is a good way to keep track of all this. It is the only record I have. :)

wastedwoodsman

Arachnosquire
UPDATE: I transferred the parents out of the babies enclosure 2 months ago. I looked in the parents new enclosure today and more babies...in 2 months. Wild. I guess the female laid the eggs as soon as I put her in there. So...I moved the parents out because they were walking all over the babies. I also loaded the new babies enclosure up with a huge amount of rotting wood. I put the parents in their own enclosure again. This thread is a good way to keep track of all this. It is the only record I have. :)
I am very happy for you and your success with these wonderful millipedes! I want to see some pictures!

SDCPs

Arachnolord
I reread your thread...you're saying you could only purchase 5....I'm pretty sure I know where you got them. You got them from Bugs in Cyberspace. He got them from me. I received them from DoubleD's in a trade. And He sold them to different people so, most likely, you are not the only one in the US with them....at least I hope that is the case.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE: Today I found a dead adult male. This leaves me with 2 (one male and one female) remaining adults from the original group. I now have 3 enclosures with babies from my only female that matured. I moved her from enclosure to enclosure and she laid eggs in each enclosure. The oldest group of babies in the first enclosure are 1.5 inches but some are .5 inch so I think she laid 2 sets of eggs. The second enclosure has babies that are .75-1 inch long. The third and newest enclosure (where the 2 adults are at) has .5 inch babies. I have the enclosure loaded with rotting aspen branches and a very thick layer of oak and aspen leaves. When I open the enclosures the babies are on the top of the leaves even though the leaves are 6-8 inches thick. The babies like to climb.

Last edited:

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UPDATE: I found a 2 inch juvenile dead today. Bummer...kinda sad to see its shiny black body and bright red face and legs just laying their still with no movement. This the largest juvenile I have had die. Most of the juvenile deaths have been with millipedes 1 inch or smaller. All of the others are doing well so I am hoping that I am meeting their essential needs and I am not going to experience a mass die off. I am hoping this is not the case, but I am beginning to wonder (even with multiple large enclosures of juveniles I currently have) if I will have enough to provide a second generation to all of you cool millipede folks. Thanks for looking...

SDCPs

Arachnolord
UPDATE: Today I found a dead adult male. This leaves me with 2 (one male and one female) remaining adults from the original group. I now have 3 enclosures with babies from my only female that matured. I moved her from enclosure to enclosure and she laid eggs in each enclosure. The oldest group of babies in the first enclosure are 1.5 inches but some are .5 inch so I think she laid 2 sets of eggs. The second enclosure has babies that are .75-1 inch long. The third and newest enclosure (where the 2 adults are at) has .5 inch babies. I have the enclosure loaded with rotting aspen branches and a very thick layer of oak and aspen leaves. When I open the enclosures the babies are on the top of the leaves even though the leaves are 6-8 inches thick. The babies like to climb.
If in doubt change the substrate...or at least move some of the juveniles to new substrate.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If in doubt change the substrate...or at least move some of the juveniles to new substrate.
Thanks for the tip but I tried that and the ones I moved all died. This species care is very strange and I do not have it completely figured out yet. Orin states that the juveniles are very sensitive and prone to die off. He says they need a lot of rotting wood which I have provided but I am still seeing some die off. Not as much as before (I hope) but they are still dying on me. :(