Ethnicity and Tarantula Bites.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
The point of my post was to reply to the OP's question which I thought I should share something I have read and have also watched on BBC regarding Redhead's capacity to tolerate physical pain due to a genetic mutation which I felt was relevant to the thread.
I am happy for you that your mother is special but there is no need to discredit researchers and scientist whom have conducted detailed studies on the subject proper.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
No attitude here - this is a fact - in black & white.
No, it is based on a few studies, which were contradicting earlier studies talking about how redheads feel more pain. And that was after a few mins of my own "research". Not the mention the fact that, when she stated her experience, you threw down some condescending remarks.

So again, chill out with the attitude.

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Redheads can take enormous amounts of pain on account of them not having a soul.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
No, it is based on a few studies, which were contradicting earlier studies talking about how redheads feel more pain. And that was after a few mins of my own "research". Not the mention the fact that, when she stated her experience, you threw down some condescending remarks.

So again, chill out with the attitude.
Before you choose to reply me with judgmental and talking me down- i appreciate you do a bit of in depth reading on the subject proper before judging me that i have an attitude - who do you think you are - I sent Formerphobe 2 links which I thought was informative because she said neither she nor her family members had read the studies. The reply we got from her was a defensive if not offensive response to discredit the articles/reports with strong usage of language as "bovine feces".

I don't need you to talk condescendingly to me, I've been around long enough in this world to know what is right and what is wrong.

My subsequence responses to Formerphobe and to you my dear sir is not attitude but a simple curt response to persons who have no inkling of what is on the other 3 corners of the world because they cant seem to be open to ideas that their world might be bigger than what it seems.

I frankly dont care if Redheads can walk through walls and teleportate. I was merely sharing studies on Redheads that I happened to think interesting and seemed relevant to this thread. i wasn't professing the articles to be true or be taken seriously as a general consensus or be set in stone that Redheads can take more pain.

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
There you go - some enlightenment for you.
I'm just sharing what I read on the internet and learn from books, you have the advantage of living first hand with Redheads, perhaps you should prove the all researchers wrong and enlighten us.
your condescending remarks to her *before* she commented on the links you provided. You started the attitude - so you need not act all defensive when it is thrown back or you're called out on it.

take your own advice and, before being curt, understand you have no inkling what I or former or whoever else know or have been through. As it stands, welcome to the blocked list.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
your condescending remarks to her *before* she commented on the links you provided. You started the attitude - so you need not act all defensive when it is thrown back or you're called out on it.

take your own advice and, before being curt, understand you have no inkling what I or former or whoever else know or have been through. As it stands, welcome to the blocked list.
Very true that I have no inkling what where you have been through because I have no interest in what goes in your own little world. I don't think Formerphobe needs you to defend or speak on her behalf, she seems strong and balance enough to speak her thoughts.

The fact that you choose to block someone at the slightest confrontational situation speaks of what and where you have been

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You said it all - from overly sensitive to pain to not needing aesthetics for a dental because she feels no pain.
As did the articles in the links you provided, only in reverse.

http://sciencenordic.com/redheads-fe...rent-kind-pain:
....redheads turn out to be tougher than other people.
....suffer more from toothaches and are more frightened of dentists.
....redheads are less sensitive to stinging pain in the skin.
In the comments section on that site, many of the redheaded respondees also reported being 'atypical' to the dictates of the research.

They are more affected by some things and less by others.
Just like individuals with any other color hair...

From the other site (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1692342/) (study group of 30 redheaded women - only women were used for the study since the original study was done with only female mice...):
...it is well established that sensitivity to one type of pain poorly predicts sensitivity to other types of pain as various mechanisms underlie different types of pain.
and
A final limitation is that we were unable to blind investigators (or the subjects!) to hair color. We therefore cannot fully rule out bias on the part of the investigators or evaluate the extent to which our bias may have influenced participants' responses.
I also found this little tidbit in the article while taking a drink of coffee and nearly choked:
It is well established that women are more sensitive to painful stimuli and require more analgesic medication than men.
Some women, maybe. I would suggest that the "well established" part is extremely biased. LOL If men were responsible for child bearing, the human race would have died out centuries ago.

Back to the original topic, as Poec54 said,
There's not enough known about tarantula bites in general, let alone the effects of numerous species on various ethnicities. It's not a major health concern, so who's going to put millions into studying it? Most countries with tarantulas have a lot bigger problems, and those without tarantulas would put it at the bottom of the priority list.
And in developed countries, there are far more interesting things to waste research dollars on, like if redheaded women feel pain or how long it really takes to cook a 2 minute egg.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
biased. LOL If men were responsible for child bearing, the human race would have died out centuries ago.

- it seems we are finally agreeing on something - i wouldn't want anything bigger than an egghead tearing out from any of my bodily cervices - so kudos to all the women-mums in the world for going through the miraculous ordeal of child birth that we are both are here to argue about Redheads, rant about our spiders... Cringe over slings in molts and escaping crickets and urticating hairs ...and we all know all mums are special and unique and make the best apple pie and meat loaf;)

tweakz

Arachnosquire
there is no need to discredit researchers and scientist whom have conducted detailed studies on the subject proper.
This is the whole point of science. Skepticism towards anything and everything this is what drives science closest to the truth.

MadMauC

Arachnopeon
This is the whole point of science. Skepticism towards anything and everything this is what drives science closest to the truth.
I agree but I do wonder if truth really serves a purpose - sometimes its the journey that enriches our soul, the destination might sometimes disappoint.

tweakz

Arachnosquire
If that's your preferrence. I for one am fascinated by the truths science has given us.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Clearly if we want to get to the bottom of this, we need to organize some AB volunteers by ethnicity and have everyone get bit by Ts from various regions.