Example of what pre-molt looks like

Jared781

Arachnobaron
I'll have to agree with xhexdx on it not being in premolt and this being a great idea for a thread. I'd vote this for a sticky of some kind.

Another suggestion is for someone to get a good picture of a slings abdomen and circle and label the heart and urticating hair patch (mirror patch too if it applies).

So far everything is new world specimens where are the old worlders?
Good call bro!!

i was just going to point that out!! weird how it stretches accross the oposthoma!!

---------- Post added 02-20-2012 at 08:31 AM ----------

Since one of the common questions on here is whether or not such and such spiderling is in pre-molt, I thought I would put up an example of what pre-molt can look like. This is just one example, from one species, at one particular age, so other spiders at other ages will show pre-molt differently.

A couple of weeks, these two slings (B. vagans) looked practically identical.
B. vagans #1: (still has normal sling coloration, though it is quite fat)

B. vagans #2:

In case you're curious, these were taken on Feb. 8th. Sling #2 molted on Sunday (Feb. 12), and Sling #1 is now darkening, about where Sling #2 was in this pic.

Feel free to post more examples to help clarify for others.
I am definitely book marking this thread!!! Dominant Topic son!

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
This is such a wonderful thread! I'm loving it.

Now that I have more time to do things since I've cleared out some tiresome jobs, I'll have to post some photos as well when I get off of work. :)

Bravo! Great idea on the OP's end.

moghue

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just wondering if my G.rosea is in premolt. her underside is pretty black right now unfortunatly i cant get a pick of it. here are a few i could get as shes a bit cranky right now.

Attachments

Simon83

Arachnosquire
I agree, excellent thread and interesting to compare pictures :) I do have a genus specific question though - how can you tell when a g.pulchra is in pre-molt, besides not eating? Given that they're black as adults you can't really use the darker rule.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmm...I'm not sure the purpose of this thread is for people to post pics and ask if their spiders are in premolt or not...I think it would be best suited specifically as a reference thread. Kind of like the 'sexing for dummies' thread in Chat.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi I recently brought a b.Vagans I believe it's in premolt but if I could get confirmation it would be greatly appreciated http://m1074.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/jaylong1/inverts/DSC00131.jpg.html?o=4 if u need a better picture lemme know edit also how do I embed links?
Not premolt. And you need more substrate.

Hmm...I'm not sure the purpose of this thread is for people to post pics and ask if their spiders are in premolt or not...I think it would be best suited specifically as a reference thread. Kind of like the 'sexing for dummies' thread in Chat.
+1

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Question: Would it maybe be possible to have such a section on the forum for new T owners to post and ask? Like the sexing section? Just curious...

That way, this thread could be "cleaned" of questions and such and made a sticky for example...just as an idea.

EDIT: Oh, and does anyone have a pic of a P.irminia in pre-molt? I think they're kinda hard to see, too?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Was more thinking of a section, instead of a thread. And can't create -that- :)

I'll put up a "pre-molt" thread for now, though, so at least anyone willing to can post their pics of their T's into there to have them looked at. Can anyone make that a sticky then, please?

ElevenBravo

Arachnopeon
I agree, excellent thread and interesting to compare pictures :) I do have a genus specific question though - how can you tell when a g.pulchra is in pre-molt, besides not eating? Given that they're black as adults you can't really use the darker rule.
In my experience it is easy to tell if G. pulchra is in pre-molt. The jet black shiny beautiful velvet color changes to a more brownish color it seems more dull.

My G. pulchra also eats anything and everything so if s/he refuses a meal I know to expect a new larger prettier T soon.

TZach

Arachnosquire
its weird, i have had one of my Ts have a black ring on its abdomen instead of a blob. it was a sign of premolt though, cuz she molted later in the week

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
its weird, i have had one of my Ts have a black ring on its abdomen instead of a blob. it was a sign of premolt though, cuz she molted later in the week
What genus/species was that one? Never heard of anything like that before...