Fangless Pumpkin Patch- HELP Please

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Wax worms are a fangless ts best friend.
How do you feed them to them? Do you cut/mash them up or just give them to them whole? I tried mashing worms up for my old G.porteri, but I don't think anything would have helped her. However, I am not discounting that I might need more details in the future.

cold blood

Staff member
How do you feed them to them? Do you cut/mash them up or just give them to them whole? I tried mashing worms up for my old G.porteri, but I don't think anything would have helped her. However, I am not discounting that I might need more details in the future.
Have you ever gotten interest from your porteri with pre-kill? Mine is the only t I have that won't take dead prey. I don't know what I would do if she lost her meathooks.

In other instances though, those waxies worked like a charm, plus them being so fatty is good when you are feeding less.

I would slice them the long way, and then score it a few times in the opposite direction. If they aren't split, they can't break their skin, but as long as its broken, they actually are able to take it in. The other good thing is that there isn't anything hard for them to deal with, and no bolus, either.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Have you ever gotten interest from your porteri with pre-kill?
Unfortunately, she died. I purchased her as a wild caught, adult female, and she was with me for 17 years. She just wound down. Although she did seem a bit interested in food, she didn't eat it.
I was buying silk worms and wax worms and crushing them up to make a soup like thing. I put it in a shallow dish for her and she wouldn't eat it. She wouldn't eat from the syringe either. There was never anything really wrong with her... she just stopped eating. I got used to that over the years, but this time she just didn't start eating again.

cold blood

Staff member
Unfortunately, she died. I purchased her as a wild caught, adult female, and she was with me for 17 years. She just wound down. Although she did seem a bit interested in food, she didn't eat it.
I was buying silk worms and wax worms and crushing them up to make a soup like thing. I put it in a shallow dish for her and she wouldn't eat it. She wouldn't eat from the syringe either. There was never anything really wrong with her... she just stopped eating. I got used to that over the years, but this time she just didn't start eating again.
Yes, I recall the unfortunate thread about it. :sorry: I meant at any point in the time you had her had she ever taken pre-kill?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I meant at any point in the time you had her had she ever taken pre-kill?
No, but I never had to resort to pre-killed for her. She primarily ate crickets, with a few worms thrown in here and there... horn worms, silk worms, super worms, wax worms. I never had to try her with pre-killed.