feeding earth worms to my T's

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nightcrawlers

I have used these plenty times. I actually prefer them over mealworms, since mealworms tend to burrow once they hit the substrate.

stovepipesteve

Arachnopeon
Donovan said:
They have Night Crawlers here for $2.88 for 24. Is that the right thing to buy? they are called Canadian Nightcrawlers so Im guessin the guy above me was right with the canadian thing.

SO whats the final decision on what to feed the worms so that they are the most nutritious for my T?
canadian worms are great. thats what i buy at walmart,,big ,fat, juicy ones.
make sure they are not small red worms. i've heard bad things about red worms.
As far as feedn them,,,just throw a small piece o fruit up in er. they keep in the frig forever and a day.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sounds like a good idea just make just sure you are getting your worms from safe places I think Ill try it this week

Donovan

Arachnopeon
So last night I fed her half of one of those big night crawlers. She watched it for a second, then stood over it, then kinda picked it up and carried it a lil distance away and then finished it off in about 30 mins to an hour. Today I noticed it was wandering some so i tried feeding her 1/2 of the 1/2 she had (so 1/4 of a total worm) and she walked on it again, but then just walked back to her burrow so i put it back in the fridge with the others. What kind of fruit and how big of a piece? Just on top of the dirt? How often do you feed your T these worms? They are a lot cheaper than crickets. I calculated it out and you get 24 for 3 something, And you only have to feed them like 1/4-1/2 of a worm each time, and even those small portions are bigger than the crix i got. It came out to like 4-6 cents per feeding with these worms.

stovepipesteve

Arachnopeon
Donovan said:
So last night I fed her half of one of those big night crawlers. She watched it for a second, then stood over it, then kinda picked it up and carried it a lil distance away and then finished it off in about 30 mins to an hour. Today I noticed it was wandering some so i tried feeding her 1/2 of the 1/2 she had (so 1/4 of a total worm) and she walked on it again, but then just walked back to her burrow so i put it back in the fridge with the others. What kind of fruit and how big of a piece? Just on top of the dirt? How often do you feed your T these worms? They are a lot cheaper than crickets. I calculated it out and you get 24 for 3 something, And you only have to feed them like 1/4-1/2 of a worm each time, and even those small portions are bigger than the crix i got. It came out to like 4-6 cents per feeding with these worms.
FEEDING THE WORMS...just about anything will work as far as food, especially
small pieces of table scraps,but if ya got some fruit around, etc,,nanners, berries or like.,,a couple O' pieces up 'er will work. Push the treat to the bottom cause thats where they will stay. They keep forever in the frig,,no care needed. Even if ya dont feed them,,they will live and if kept long enough, will breed lil' guys.
I have 16 T's. Four of which are spiderlings. The rest are sub adult to adult.
Ranging anywhere from 4''-8'' with legs. Ill feed all but the babies a whole nightcrawler. I just drop it in close to it and leave it alone. I feed the babies a quarter. I do this faithfully once a week and ill use crikets from time to time just to spice things up.
yummy,, yummy

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am so going to try this!

:? :? :?
Where am I going to get earthworms around here near DC?

Hmmmm......

Barbedwirecat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I constantly buy earthworms to feed to my lizards and frogs, I'll have to try this for my Ts interesting concept. BTW I have litterally had the same batch of nightcrawlers in my fridge for about 1 1/2 years...... I don't know why they are still alive, I thuink as long as you keep them fungus and mold free they'll live for a pretty long time, but then I have had other batches get all nasty real quick so who knows.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Derekool said:
No way in hell are the worms that ar sold commercialy picked up off the ground!!!!! Worms are so incredibly easy to breed its rediculous (I breed my own)why pick them up when a captive worm population can grow 10 or 15 times the starting population. Somthing like 60% of all worms(Earthworms) in Canada and the US are in captivity. One guy owns 90% of all canadian earthworms and it is him you are buying from at walmart!!!!!

Do you research!!!!!

Well, I am a long time angler and bought my worms from a lot of small shacks and stores around the lake, and many of them buy from local dudes who extract the worms using electrified rods stuck in the ground...they come out at once like spagetti!!!

But for large scale stores, I'm pretty much sure you are right on this:)