Feeding roaches

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I havent noticed any good climbing from them. I just reapply some mineral oil to the rim every week or two. You guys have me scared now. Im gonna put some screening over the air holes i have in the container now to be safe.
Well,, you appear to be in Michigan -- so that may be different -- I am in nice warm humid NC, where the winters are mild INSIDE PEOPLE'S HOUSES. lol
But I would take all possible precautions regardless of location.
If I could have found anything positive re: lobster roaches to reassure me, I would probably have a huge lobster colony today.
It's not like I hate freebies or anything! But I wasn't so sure this sender was friend or foe.:eek:

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Well,, you appear to be in Michigan -- so that may be different -- I am in nice warm humid NC, where the winters are mild INSIDE PEOPLE'S HOUSES. lol
But I would take all possible precautions regardless of location.
If I could have found anything positive re: lobster roaches to reassure me, I would probably have a huge lobster colony today.
It's not like I hate freebies or anything! But I wasn't so sure this sender was friend or foe.:eek:
The sender was just tryig to sabotage your neighborhood. You need to get revenge on the sender.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
The sender was just tryig to sabotage your neighborhood. You need to get revenge on the sender.
You know, it was this really old retired fishing guy who sent them -- he sold bait. And he told me he would throw in a few lobsters for free in multiple emails.
I wrote him back repeatedly with "no, really, I'm good" "please, just send the gravid discoid, "not familiar with lobsters."
The more I researched, the more I kept reiterating I didn't want lobster roaches.
It was like he was determined I was getting lobsters whether I liked it or not (but he seemed to just be kindly, and definitely, based on sheer volume of emails -- lonely too).
Instead of airholes in the deli cup therywere sent in, the whole top had a huge 1"square hole in it with a mere paper towel to block that hole, so naturally they were all loose in the box.
I threw the whole box into a big rubbermaid bin to find my gravid discoid female and those lobsters were trying to escape climbing the sides.
Put the rest in a smaller bin with lid and froze their little lobster butts.

Wish I'd know a male discoid was in there, because the female turned out not to be gravid (yes, I hunted all the bin and box for an ooth -- nada)
Then months later, Rosie had a delicious discoid meal -- took her 45 minutes of rolling with it to subdue it, took her 24 hours to completely consume it, and I am positive I heard her burp afterwards.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
You know, it was this really old retired fishing guy who sent them -- he sold bait. And he told me he would throw in a few lobsters for free in multiple emails.
I wrote him back repeatedly with "no, really, I'm good" "please, just send the gravid discoid, "not familiar with lobsters."
The more I researched, the more I kept reiterating I didn't want lobster roaches.
It was like he was determined I was getting lobsters whether I liked it or not (but he seemed to just be kindly, and definitely, based on sheer volume of emails -- lonely too).
Instead of airholes in the deli cup therywere sent in, the whole top had a huge 1"square hole in it with a mere paper towel to block that hole, so naturally they were all loose in the box.
I threw the whole box into a big rubbermaid bin to find my gravid discoid female and those lobsters were trying to escape climbing the sides.
Put the rest in a smaller bin with lid and froze their little lobster butts.

Wish I'd know a male discoid was in there, because the female turned out not to be gravid (yes, I hunted all the bin and box for an ooth -- nada)
Then months later, Rosie had a delicious discoid meal -- took her 45 minutes of rolling with it to subdue it, took her 24 hours to completely consume it, and I am positive I heard her burp afterwards.
Poor old fisherman trying to get rid of lobsters. Thats pretty funny that you said you didnt want them and he figured you needed to have them anyways lmao.

Drache

Arachnosquire
Lobsters are my least favourite of all roaches I have kept. They do climb, and they easily start to smell - unlike other roaches I've kept.
Their big plus is how meaty and soft-bodied they are. Some of my lizards liked them better than anything else.