First arboreal

brianp

Arachnopeon
I could only suggest that you may want to use a longer piece of cork for better
presentation of the T. BTW...how do you like the ExoTerra cage? I prefer glass to acrylic
and have been studying them for my arboreals when they get larger.

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
I could only suggest that you may want to use a longer piece of cork for better
presentation of the T. BTW...how do you like the ExoTerra cage? I prefer glass to acrylic
and have been studying them for my arboreals when they get larger.
I love the exo terra terrariums. I have my crested gecko and Florida kingsnake in some as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
Alright, I changed the plant out so hopefully I'll see some webbing soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith B

Arachnobaron
They like to web up high. It may wind up just tubing in one of the top corners (probably one of the front door corners just to aggravate you lol). The plant does look good though for a possible anchor, but if it's near the front door you run that same risk. Can probably ditch the cork tube, clean it off, and save it for a Psalmopoeus. Highly unlikely it'll use it for a permanent hide. Very pretty Avic you have there :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's better. I'd increase the density of plants in there. Do the right side just like the left. You may also want to look into getting some ExoTerra fake bendable vines, often used for chameleons. I'm sure an Avic would use those at some point.

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
I was worried he wouldn't be able to move around easilly if I covered it too much. I have 6 feet if that vine though so I can throw more in if he'll like it more.
Would it be best to take the cork bark out and just fill the whole thing with that plant?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would cut the cork tube in half down its length, and lean half of it against the glass, sort of forming a right triangle. Some Avics like using cork slabs as platforms to hang out on or build canopies with. In your case the T might or might not do that depending on how up it wants to be, which is usually at the top.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the plants being too dense IMO as they are able to move the plant vines. They are stronger than you think.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess my Avics have all been under-privileged. I never give mine anywhere near that amount of 'cage furniture' and they have all done just fine. They just need something to use as a matrix for their webbing. I think your set up looks great. Given time, s/he'll have the whole thing webbed up. My A. metallica has a corkround suspended at an angle in the top third of her enclosure. She uses that as her primary hangout and has tube webs leading out the top and the bottom.
Congrats on your first arboreal!

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
It's settled in, it's fine, all this constant advice and changes meanwhile the T's like 'get off the bloody forum and notice that i'm fine!'

Congrats she's a beut, there's nothing wrong with her current setup, let her settle in and the magic will happen.

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
It's settled in, it's fine, all this constant advice and changes meanwhile the T's like 'get off the bloody forum and notice that i'm fine!'

Congrats she's a beut, there's nothing wrong with her current setup, let her settle in and the magic will happen.
Haha I didn't think of it that way.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess my Avics have all been under-privileged. I never give mine anywhere near that amount of 'cage furniture' and they have all done just fine. They just need something to use as a matrix for their webbing. I think your set up looks great. Given time, s/he'll have the whole thing webbed up. My A. metallica has a corkround suspended at an angle in the top third of her enclosure. She uses that as her primary hangout and has tube webs leading out the top and the bottom.
Congrats on your first arboreal!

I hear ya. Do you have a pic of that enclosure you mentioned? It sounds interesting re the corkround.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I hear ya. Do you have a pic of that enclosure you mentioned? It sounds interesting re the corkround.
This is not the best pic, but it gives you an idea. Actually, she has a felted coconut coir cylinder in lieu of a corkround. She has only been in there a few months and adds to the tube web almost daily. Her previous enclosure was similar style but 1/3 the size, with 2 leaves and a small slab of cork anchored halfway up the side. She grew from 1/2 inch to 3 inches in that one and had the whole thing webbed solid. It was quite an undertaking to peel her out of it.

Some of my other arboreal enclosures, from left to right:
H sp blue has web hammocks in the topmost leaves, used the corkround as a molting chamber.
GBB is webbed top to bottom. Also used corkround as molting chamber.
P. irminia has only been in hers a couple of months. Spends most of her time in the cork round. Is just starting her dirt curtains after a recent molt.
P. cambridgei had dirt curtains throughout, but recently started some renovations.
P. formosa (didn't make the pic) has felted coconut coir cylinder that rests on the substrate as well as a flat piece of cork secured horizontally near the top with a couple of random large leaves. She's only been in her enclosure about a month but has webbing throughout with the coir cylinder as a home base.

Ah, found one of P. formosa's enclosure (on the right) when I first set it up. It's decor is currently looking very similar to the P. rufilata's on the left.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for these. The gives me a reason to save the coir fiber mats I have. I was trimming them for small PVC hides, but have left over. I hasn't thought of using remainder as tube for Avics. The stuff is really stiff and I can't uncurl the remainder enough for other purposes.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
one of my A.Avic's just has a dirt bottom and a piece of wood to anchor its web on. it always builds a hammock about two months before moulting, moults, and then just lets it deteriorate and fall apart for a while before building another one. the other Avic just built a cup shaped home and cowers in it all the time. I am always annoyed at the hammock one because it always looks so ugly and unkempt. but hey, whatever floats its boat. My GBB on the other hand... it webs like there is no tomorrow and has a labyrinth of tunnels connected to a plant. amazing to watch.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I guess my big 5.5" girl loves webbing the heck out of her enclosure...always has. :D

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
Here's a new picture of him. He's webbed the leaves enough to make them form a funnel but he doesn't spend much time in it :)

Also, I got a second avic avic. This one is only ~1.5 in I think

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Shadow is that top one metallica? Hard to tell w/the lighting, it seems so. It's quite pretty.

Shaddowxxi

Arachnopeon
Shadow is that top one metallica? Hard to tell w/the lighting, it seems so. It's quite pretty.
I've had quite a few people tell me it looks like metallica. These are the only avics I've seen in person so I can't tell.
When the other one gets bigger I'll be able compare them

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had quite a few people tell me it looks like metallica. These are the only avics I've seen in person so I can't tell.
When the other one gets bigger I'll be able compare them

Well if you consider the KNOWN species and localities (assuming it's not something unknown) it could only be a FEW things because it's quite poofy (hairy), but more importantly it has white tipped setae. When you add in the blue background, the obvious choice is metallica, but as we all know with Avics, it's no guarantee. Plus, looking at one pic is different than looking at it in person etc.

If not metallica, I'd be super curious to know what it is.