Food

Aferullo16

Arachnopeon
Can tarantulas get sick of certain feeders? I always feed my T superworms. Now, he hasnt eaten since January 10th. He has fasted before and he shows no signs of premolt. He actually hasnt molted in 2 years. But for the last month/month and a half, he just picks up the worms and relocates them like theyre in his way. Hes never done that before. I'm just wondering if I should try a different feeder. Side note: hes never been much of a "hunter" either. He kind of likes when his food doesnt run around much, I don't know why that is, but I don't fight him on it haha. He's a tliltocatl albopilosum.

cold blood

Staff member
Can tarantulas get sick of certain feeders?
no
Now, he hasnt eaten since January 10th. He has fasted before and he shows no signs of premolt. He actually hasnt molted in 2 years. But for the last month/month and a half, he just picks up the worms and relocates them like theyre in his way
If you understand how a t grows, you will see that what you are experiencing is perfectly normal.

Ts only need so much food per molt cycle, when that need is met, they no longer need food....hence the fasting. As a t grows, its molt cycle gets much longer...a longer cycle means its super easy in captivity to feed a t its fill WAY before its actually ready to molt....which is why long fasts are commonplace with captive ts.

Your t hasn't molted in 2 years and hasnt eaten in 5 months, this means its reached its food requirements and will not eat until after it next molts. Fasting is a complete non-issue, and how long it fasts is of little relevance.

It could molt next week, it could molt in another 6 months, either way, its of no concern.

Aferullo16

Arachnopeon
no

If you understand how a t grows, you will see that what you are experiencing is perfectly normal.

Ts only need so much food per molt cycle, when that need is met, they no longer need food....hence the fasting. As a t grows, its molt cycle gets much longer...a longer cycle means its super easy in captivity to feed a t its fill WAY before its actually ready to molt....which is why long fasts are commonplace with captive ts.

Your t hasn't molted in 2 years and hasnt eaten in 5 months, this means its reached its food requirements and will not eat until after it next molts. Fasting is a complete non-issue, and how long it fasts is of little relevance.

It could molt next week, it could molt in another 6 months, either way, its of no concern.
Thank you so much

Aferullo16

Arachnopeon
no

Oh! Should I continue to try to feed him? I've only been trying like once every other week as I dont want to like keep shoving food in his face and stress him. Sometimes I wait a little longer than that if he's just not coming out in sight, like I said, he was never much of a "hunter" for some reason haha.

cold blood

Staff member
If you are feeding one t, you would say that even is it was eating like a mad dog...lol.

Worms, kept properly, will last a very long time.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Well, looks like the Jury has decided on Whether T's get sick of certain feeders?
The No's are above the Aye's

Last edited: