Freshly build terrarium

x-fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys,
yesterday morning I've build my first terrarium. I've used transparent silicone that's suitable for aquariums. Do you think it's safe to put my blondi in it already or should i wait more? I can still sense the silicone smell but I'm not sure it's going to go away anytime soon. Should i wait more and if so how much more?

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
I have used Silicone to repair old "Fish Tanks". I like to wait a while, better "Safe than Sorry"

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hey guys,
yesterday morning I've build my first terrarium. I've used transparent silicone that's suitable for aquariums. Do you think it's safe to put my blondi in it already or should i wait more? I can still sense the silicone smell but I'm not sure it's going to go away anytime soon. Should i wait more and if so how much more?
Read what your silicone bottle says for how long it takes to fully cure

x-fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Read what your silicone bottle says for how long it takes to fully cure
It's Ceresit cs 23, it says the it forms skin in 25 minutes and it's fully hardened in about 3 to 24 hours? Is that what i need to look for or it's something else? I can't find anything on the container, I'm googled it.
P.S it seems it's actually 3 mm/24 hours. My glass thickness is 4mm

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
If you can smell it, I'd consider it dangerous to your critters.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So you can smell chemicals, and you’re asking if your T should go in- use common sense

Glorfindel

Arachnopeon
Amount of time to Harden and Amount of time to Cure are two different things.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It's Ceresit cs 23, it says the it forms skin in 25 minutes and it's fully hardened in about 3 to 24 hours? Is that what i need to look for or it's something else? I can't find anything on the container, I'm googled it.
P.S it seems it's actually 3 mm/24 hours. My glass thickness is 4mm
I’m not sure what your using, do I can’t say, but it’s safer to wait than rush it if it’s still potentially emiting VOCs

x-fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I’m not sure what your using, do I can’t say, but it’s safer to wait than rush it if it’s still potentially emiting VOCs
Yes, I'm not in a rush. I'll rinse it tomorrow and let it dry and see if i can still smell something.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yes, I'm not in a rush. I'll rinse it tomorrow and let it dry and see if i can still smell something.
You couldn’t find curing information online? Yep just wait til smells gone away. Building cages is too hard for me , definitely show some pics of it when it’s done .

x-fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You couldn’t find curing information online? Yep just wait til smells gone away. Building cages is too hard for me , definitely show some pics of it when it’s done .
It came out pretty nice :) Took me about an hour and the whole thing cost me like 25 euro.
Once the smell is gone I’ll put some coco fibre and some hides and see how it goes :) IMG_3209.jpeg IMG_3210.jpeg IMG_3211.jpeg IMG_3212.jpeg IMG_3213.jpeg

x-fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks :) Shipping is going to be an issue :)) But you can order the ventilation yourself and it comes with a scheme how to do the rest :)