Full Round vs Half Round debate.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
I learned something the other day from my Poki's. "Don't use a half round/just use a full round" Makes maintenance WAYYY easier. Just close the top end, and scrub till your hands are raw. I've read things saying, you'll never see your T with a full round, and if you have a non visible T I get it. But with a reclusive T you can also expect to not see them anyways with rare exceptions. I can't even see any of my T's with a half round because of the web and dirt barricade they've built (unless they show themselves) But, my pokis get cabin fever if they are in their hide for too long. Just food for thought, if I started over I'd go straight to the full round. Especially, with a species that requires frequent glass cleaning. (But, with Psalmos and other species, half round may be the better choice)

What is your preference?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I learned something the other day from my Poki's. "Don't use a half round/just use a full round" Makes maintenance WAYYY easier. Just close the top end, and scrub till your hands are raw. I've read things saying, you'll never see your T with a full round, and if you have a non visible T I get it. But with a reclusive T you can also expect to not see them anyways with rare exceptions. I can't even see any of my T's with a half round because of the web and dirt barricade they've built (unless they show themselves) But, my pokis get cabin fever if they are in their hide for too long. Just food for thought, if I started over I'd go straight to the full round. Especially, with a species that requires frequent glass cleaning. (But, with Psalmos and other species, half round may be the better choice)

What is your preference?
Flat/half round until they're a subadult and then they get a round when they're an adult. This allows me to more easily perform a health check on the younger, growing, and more fragile specimens. I'm less concerned with being able to readily check up on the adults as they're usually very well established by this time and I don't need to worry as much about potential molting issues.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I use both, but I tend to use more half rounds that are up against the background so this sorta creates a whole round.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Here's an idea ... Place a Half Round against the back of Enclosure, then place a removable dark backboard on the exrerior with velcro or tape, thus creating a perfect hide for T.
Then leave it alone.
If a need ever arises, you can take a quick peek.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I tend to use half rounds so I can stretch it further, because I'm cheap like that 🤣

I have been dabbling with placing extra pieces to give that effect while still leaving side exits, effectively creating a second, smaller hide between the two pieces, and then the intended lean-to as per usual, that they can "move in" as they grow. It gives me visibility for a whole day (before they wall it up 🤣🤣🤣). I don't know that I am ready to commit to a full round lol. This has been with my slings/juvies, I'm new to pokies, so that's a lot of it.

I'd never consider a full round on a terrestrial, but I didn't hate an A seemani setup where they used only a slice of a full round to give structure to a burrow entrance...I just don't think the T appreciates the gesture as much as given something they can burrow under.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Flat/half round until they're a subadult and then they get a round when they're an adult. This allows me to more easily perform a health check on the younger, growing, and more fragile specimens. I'm less concerned with being able to readily check up on the adults as they're usually very well established by this time and I don't need to worry as much about potential molting issues.
This is the way thumbs 👍
I tend to use half rounds so I can stretch it further, because I'm cheap like that 🤣

I have been dabbling with placing extra pieces to give that effect while still leaving side exits, effectively creating a second, smaller hide between the two pieces, and then the intended lean-to as per usual, that they can "move in" as they grow. It gives me visibility for a whole day (before they wall it up 🤣🤣🤣). I don't know that I am ready to commit to a full round lol. This has been with my slings/juvies, I'm new to pokies, so that's a lot of it.

I'd never consider a full round on a terrestrial, but I didn't hate an A seemani setup where they used only a slice of a full round to give structure to a burrow entrance...I just don't think the T appreciates the gesture as much as given something they can burrow under.
A local exotic pet shop sells bark by the lb. I bought a massive sheet of it the other day for $25. It's a dingy little place, but for cork alone it's worth the trip. They tend to scoop about a dozen more crickets than you want which is also another pro lol They sell rounds too, I need to get a price on those. If those are pricey, I'll just glue pieces together.

The round is basically an insurance policy. My pokis are well mannered, but I wouldn't put it past my 2 larger ones to dart out of their cage. My P Met has come close. They do retreat, but it takes a lot for my P Met to go down at this point, but she's easier to contain. Also doesn't destroy her cage (only her hide lol) I'd use the round primarily for my Rufilata, because in a matter of a week she can destroy the walls of her enclosure. That thing is an 8 legged poop cannon 🤣 cleaning isn't a 2 minute ordeal, so it's basically a precaution.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Use whatever you like, I think either can work just depends. I personally don't like full rounds that much myself, but if it works for you go for it!

MoonlitMonster

Arachnopeon
I prefer half rounds and cling film black for fishtanks and such, anytime I feel it's necessary it's typically very easy to checkup. Usually with the black film they don't feel as much need to fully web the darkened area as much as ive seen if I dont use the film.

Full rounds are honestly more aestheticly pleasing though imo

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
I sometimes use severral Quatre Rounds, Half Rounds, Whatever Rounds, placed together at different angles.
The Spider Will make do and create it's Labyrinth.

Last edited:

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
I prefer half rounds and cling film black for fishtanks and such, anytime I feel it's necessary it's typically very easy to checkup. Usually with the black film they don't feel as much need to fully web the darkened area as much as ive seen if I dont use the film.

Full rounds are honestly more aestheticly pleasing though imo
I think so too

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I only have one half round never found any affordable enough to get more.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
I only have one half round never found any affordable enough to get more.
I use White Oak Bark in most of My Enclosures I also like Driftwood.
Take a walk... pick up fallen pieces, dry them out.
Best part... It's Free

Last edited: