G pulchra sling won’t eat

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Hi guys I got a sling almost 2 weeks ago. Little buddy is terrified of crickets😂 I killed 2 and put them in 4 days ago and when I woke they were gone. Now he won’t eat the prekilled food I even tried a roach. He is getting shiny and some black on his booty but I dont think his molt coming like tgag soon since he’s a slow species. Is my setup ok? He doesn’t burrow too much so I’m wondering if I need to do better in the enclosure? Thank u for any advice!!!

Attachments

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Ok thank u!! Haha I’m stressing since he’s a baby!! I feel a little better now😂 Do u think my substrate is deep enough for him?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi guys I got a sling almost 2 weeks ago. Little buddy is terrified of crickets😂 I killed 2 and put them in 4 days ago and when I woke they were gone. Now he won’t eat the prekilled food I even tried a roach. He is getting shiny and some black on his booty but I dont think his molt coming like tgag soon since he’s a slow species. Is my setup ok? He doesn’t burrow too much so I’m wondering if I need to do better in the enclosure? Thank u for any advice!!!
Your is FATTER THAN THE SUN! That should answer your question

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Your is FATTER THAN THE SUN! That should answer your question
Omg ok so he’s not hungry! I know he’s a big boy!! I said that at the shop but they said he was good! So I’m happy u guys are informing me!

cold blood

Staff member
Hi guys I got a sling almost 2 weeks ago. Little buddy is terrified of crickets
Its not terrified of crickets, its not hungry and as a t approaches a molt, those crickets cease to be food and become an imminent threat should the t molt.

Your t is as fat as they come....all ts, regardless of size or speed of growth, do NOT need food when they are fat.....food is literally the last concern for this t.
He is getting shiny and some black on his booty but I dont think his molt coming like tgag soon
Well it is...getting stretched out looking and shiny is the final stages of pre-molt for literally ALL tarantulas.
He doesn’t burrow too much so I’m wondering if I need to do better in the enclosure?
You want it to burrow? Why on earth would that be a desire of any keeper?

Small ts that burrow, tend to emerge less, have less food drive and grow much slower....literally the last thing you want with a slow growing pulchra. On top of that, a t that burrows is hard, if not impossible to monitor...and then there is the obvious downside that you can't see your pet.....there is no upside to a burrowed away young terrestrial......be happy it hasn't burrowed away, not concerned.

freedomisle

Arachnopeon
As everyone has stated your G.Pulchra is full and doesn't want anymore food until it molts.

Tarantulas grow faster as slings, this will slow down as they grow. So expect longer premolt periods as your G.pulchra grows.

Also to note, keep an eye on your tarantulas abdomen, try not to overfeed it. It's called powerfeeding, some people do this to have their sling grow quicker. I personally don't think it's healthy, especially as they become juneviles/subadults.

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Ok it is my first sling and that’s what the store told me to do I thought he looked super big so I’m happy I’m asking the experts! Sometimes I feel T’s are not the reptile stores specialty.
As everyone has stated your G.Pulchra is full and doesn't want anymore food until it molts.

Tarantulas grow faster as slings, this will slow down as they grow. So expect longer premolt periods as your G.pulchra grows.

Also to note, keep an eye on your tarantulas abdomen, try not to overfeed it. It's called powerfeeding, some people do this to have their sling grow quicker. I personally don't think it's healthy, especially as they become juneviles/subadults.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Ok it is my first sling and that’s what the store told me to do I thought he looked super big so I’m happy I’m asking the experts! Sometimes I feel T’s are not the reptile stores specialty.
You're right. Stores know next to nothing.

From now on all your info should come from here.

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Omg no and idk why I thought they would if they housed them. But the more I learn and what I see I can’t believe they have kept them alive!! No I’m so happy I found this site so I can know I will get correct information.

You're right. Stores know next to nothing.

From now on all your info should come from here.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I can’t believe they have kept them alive!
They are surprisingly resilant and can withstand a lot of punishment. But not indefinitely and it will shorten their life span. They don't care as long as they sell them and make a profit.

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
They are surprisingly resilant and can withstand a lot of punishment. But not indefinitely and it will shorten their life span. They don't care as long as they sell them and make a profit.
Ugh this is what makes me like my pets more than ppl. But that really is gross. I just learned about this from my jumping breeder how ppl can mass collect wild caught and house them wrong not water or feed them till they sell and u saw a picture it was so sad